Thread: Ipad help

Ipad help

Okay, with Ipad 2 coming out, I'm thinking of getting an Ipad.

What I'm hoping is that it can do the following:

1) replace my Ipod touch with apps and ability to play my mp3 files.

2) replace my kindle to read ebooks (I could use the kindle app or just use the propietary apple software)

3) replace my netbook which I mainly use to connect to the net, do some basic word processing, etc.

Can the ipad do all that I request?

For those that also own the Ipod Touch, is there anything the ipad can't go that the Touch can?

Thanks.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

1. Yes, but I wouldn't replace an iPod with an iPad. iPods and iPhones are great to use while at the gym or jogging, an iPad I assume is less so.

2. Sure, the Kindle App is great! I've used it on my iPhone for a while. The decision to replace the Kindle with an iPad is likely more about reading preference. I prefer the Kindle for reading because it is easy on the eyes and has minimal glare. I feel more like I'm reading an actual book when I'm reading on my Kindle than I would reading on an iPad. Though I prefer my Kindle, there are lots and lots of other people who feel the iPad is better for reading.

3. Absolutely!!! The web browser on the iPad is amazing. The iPad has the ability to use Pages, Apple's awesome word processing software. Pages is not available for the iPod or iPhone.

I hope this helps!

-Anxiously awaiting the keynote!
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Katy,

Ipad gets the thumbs up from me with a couple of provisos:

Have to agree with Frank...strapping an IPad to your arm at the gym is painful!

Ipad for reading is my choice. I run it in black background with white letters and this gets around most of the eye fatigue issues but it can still be hard to read out of doors. I have both the Kindle app and the Nook app...I hardly EVER use the Apple Ibook app. It is heavier than a Kindle so it is a little less comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.

Web browser is kicking but it does NOT support Flash (and likely never will). Video viewer beware. There is a Youtube app so if it is hosted there you are good.

Word processing is good but I would recommend a keyboard if you are doing much past very simple stuff. i find the onscreen key board a pain for extended usage.

It is a 90% replacement for a laptop...it depends on whether you need that other 10%!

I just "watched" the Mac Ipad Event....I like some of the changes on the Ipad 2--lighter, thinner---now I will have to go to my local Apple store with a bunch of questions to ask the experts. However, for travel, I think this will replace netbook, kindle and Ipod Touch.

Of course, then I'll have to get a bag for it, something that hasn't been reviewed yet at "1bag1world"...like the Ristretto for Ipad,...and that reminds me...will I be able to post to the blog and upload photos with the Ipad (I'm talking to myself here.)

And of course, will the new "thinner" Ipad 2 with the new optional cover fit in the current Ristretto for Ipad? (This is more a question for Katy or anyone else at TB).

BTW--did you see me get the plug in for the blog I co-edit---1bag1world? Pretty sly, huh? Oh wait, by mentioning it again--not so sly.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    And of course, will the new "thinner" Ipad 2 with the new optional cover fit in the current Ristretto for Ipad? (This is more a question for Katy or anyone else at TB).
    I'll say Yes, it will fit. The iPad 2 is smaller than the original iPad so even with the optional cover it should be safe to say it fits (unless the magnetic pieces that hook onto the iPad 2 add more than half an inch or so.) I'll let you know which direction it goes for sure on March 11th.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Thumbs up Essential apps

Two essential apps for the iPad:

Pocket Informant and EWallet.

I've been using both for my first PDA's and smartphone.

I had EWallet on my Handspring Visor which ran Palm OS. Since I synced to my PC, there was no conversion when I started using WinMobile.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Frank,

Gratuitous self promotion is the earmark of the information economy!

Love your blog by the way...

Frank
    Another consideration is that Apple is now blowing out the original iPad starting at $349.00.
    Hard to debate at that price?

I vastly prefer the iPad to the Kindle. I find it a lot less straining to me.
    Also I can carry tons of real PDF docs with Good Reader on the iPad and overall it is just a much more versatile and useful device for me.
    I am actually very comfortable typing on the glass itself but I also use a bluetooth KB if needed.

Another great option is the Camera Connection kit which allows for simple I/O anywhere.

On the other hand,an iPad is not nearly as small as a Touch which is why you should also keep the Touch or just get the Phone?

I routinely carry at least 3 computers,a Macbook Pro,A Toughbook PC and a Netbook and when camping recently with a big group I used only my 3G iPad and never needed anything else.

I took Group Photos one day and then blew them into the iPad and people were looking at them and ordering prints within 5 minutes.
    I keep mine inside either an OtterBox Defender case or the original Apple case all the time.

I loves me some iPad!

Ed

I'm guessing you load everything on the Ipad the same as on the Ipod Touch--through Itunes.

It would be nice if Itunes lets me just plug in my new Ipad and upload all the stuff I want.

And what really would be nice if my third party Ipod chargers work on the Ipad as well......

And what's really, really, really nice...there's an Apple store near me and I'm going to go in with my list of questions and get them answered.

Jeffmac....glad you enjoy the blog. I'm trying to make it both fun and informative.
    Last edited by Frank II; 03-02-2011 at 06:20 PM.

@Frank Yes, if you plug in the iPad you can select any existing apps in iTunes and they'll be synced (I sync my iPad and iPhone on the same computer and share lots of apps).

Not sure what you mean by third party chargers. The cables should be OK, but the iPad requires more juice--the iPad brick is 10w compared to iPhone 5w.
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

Not that I'm planning on buying the iPad2 (I'm still happy with iPad1 and will wait for the next version), but will it fit in the cache?
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of the ipod touch. I bought one last month and returned it. I couldn't get my work email on it because my company doesn't support that device, and it only got internet where there is wi-fi. So basically it is an expensive photo album/music player/toy to play games on. I already have a regular ipod, and a blackberry (which I get to trade up to an android phone in 10 days!), and a kindle so the ipod touch went back to the store.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I love my iPad and almost never carry my MacBook Pro with me these days. However, the few complaints I do have aren't really answered by the iPod2. I would like to be able to access files (word, excel, pdf etc.) direct from a dongle, and I'd like flash player. Having cameras is nice, but doesn't get me too excited, and smaller/lighter is always good, but less than 100g and 4 or 5 mm, doesn't make me leap for joy. And I don't like the case...it doesn't protect the back which is vulnerable to scratches and a bit slippy in the hand. I use a MacAlly case that clips on to the back, covers the front and converts to a stand. Sadly, after 6 or 8 months its looking a bit shabby, but there may be one going cheap now!

AMS123...I too have a Blackberry and an Ipod Touch.

The Blackberry doesn't even come close to the number of apps available on the Touch. And it's all about apps--not just games. It's great for travel.

Almost everywhere I stay has wifi.....I can use the touch to check news, my stocks, make trades if necessary, check my banks, arrange travel, read a book, check my email, check my RSS feeds and twitter (part of my work). In many cases, I didn't bother taking a computer.

The Ipad will give me everything the Touch does and then some...

Oh, as soon as my renewal date comes around, I'm trading my Blackberry for an Android. (I'm a Verizon customer and I need a quad band phone. The Iphone on Verizon doesn't offer this.)

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I use the 3G version of the iPad, so even where there's no wifi my iPad still works to the full, if a little slower. Since I've had an iPhone 4 and the iPad, my iPod seems to have become redundant.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0