Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

the ebook thread!

It sounds like a fair amount of users here have an ebook reader (Kindle, Nook, etc.) so I thought it would be a good idea to start a separate thread about them.

Here we can share links to freebies, discuss our beloved readers, give reviews of ebooks and where they're available at the best price, and even have exchanges (legally, of course ).

To start things off, here's a site that has links to a lot of the most common freebie sites I've managed to find: elegant simple life
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Good idea for a thread!

To start things off, we all need some way to carry/protect our Kindles/Nooks etc. I had the Marware Eco-Vue Kindle Folio for my Kindle 3, but once I got the Ristretto I started carrying it sans case to save space in the bag, instead slipping it into a Medium Organizer Pouch that I had. I found out I really liked using the Kindle "naked," as well. However, I'd like a bit more protection than the basic Organizer Pouch affords. I looked at the padded Organizer Pouch, but wasn't crazy about the gray color, and it's also not exactly a real close fit for the Kindle 3, or even all that attractive to carry around solo.

My solution: I ordered a Timbuk2 padded Kindle sleeve, which should fit nicely inside the medium pouch for transport in my Ristretto, looks nice, and is a handy size for when I just want to grab the Kindle and go to lunch, leaving the Ristretto in my office.

I'd be interested to see what other choices people have made with their e-readers...

Quote Originally Posted by LarryA View Post
    Good idea for a thread!
    I looked at the padded Organizer Pouch, but wasn't crazy about the gray color, and it's also not exactly a real close fit for the Kindle 3, or even all that attractive to carry around solo.
    The Medium Padded Pouch is available in black now

I'm considering the DODOcase for Kindle as my Kindle's main home. I currently have it inside an Amazon Lighted Cover and Medium Padded Organizer Pouch (I'm overprotective of my electronics) but would prefer something made close by. Also, I love the moleskine notebook look of it.

http://www.dodocase.com/collections/...ase-for-kindle

When the iPad was released we had a few customers ask if their iPad inside of the DODOcase would fit in the Ristretto (it does!) so I looked further into the cases.
    Last edited by Katy; 02-23-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Those DODOcases look nice!

Another made-in-the-USA cover product that was mentioned elsewhere and bears repeating here is Oberon; nicely made, beautiful leather covers here!
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Seconding Oberon. I like them because they open like a book with the kindle inside, and provide a grip for holding the kindle when I'm reading on the train or bus. The Oberon covers are also beautiful. On the other hand they are slightly heavy, because they're made of leather -- if weight is a factor or the space in my bag is very tight, I usually take the kindle out of the cover and slip it into something more lightweight.

I actually have the Amazon case with the built-in light. It's very protective, and I like having the light. It goes nicely in my Ristretto or even the side pocket of my Swift.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Ebook management software! http://calibre-ebook.com/
    Last edited by Flinx; 02-25-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Ted

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I just added the Kindle App to my iPad and it works great, but spotted a serious flaw. I was taking a short (60 min) domestic flight on Tuesday and so took my iPad. Of course till the seatbelt sign I switched off, you can't use it. As soon as it was off I opened my 'book' and started reading. 30 mins later we begin our decent and the sign comes back on, so I switch off, put it in my Ristretto and tuck it under the seat. 15 mins later we land and get ready to disembark. At this point, the man next to me closes the paperback that he's been reading for over an hour, since we boarded, put it in his pocket, and stood up. He'd been reading for 60-70 mins, I barely got 30!

Eric

Ouch; I can see the disadvantage for that situation.

For those of us who take the bus to work daily, an ebook reader is a wonderful thing ('specially since the FAA or foreign equal isn't involved), and it has replaced the omnipresent stack of books on the bedside table.
    Ted

I usually wait until the flight attendants finish their check and sit down, and then pull the Kindle back out. I keep the wireless off, so it doesn't cause any problems. Because the screen doesn't glow, and it's in a leather book-style case, it's not very noticeable. I've never had anyone bother me about it.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I usually wait until the flight attendants finish their check and sit down, and then pull the Kindle back out. I keep the wireless off, so it doesn't cause any problems. Because the screen doesn't glow, and it's in a leather book-style case, it's not very noticeable. I've never had anyone bother me about it.
    Good point! They always sit me at the front in full view of the hosties.

Eric

On a short flight, no, it's not at an advantage.

However, take a very long flight, or a long trip where you might go through a few books, then you'll be thrilled to have it.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    However, take a very long flight, or a long trip where you might go through a few books, then you'll be thrilled to have it.
    Too true!
    We're travelling to Croatia later this year, and I plan to spend a great deal of those flights with my nose in my Kindle.
    Ted

Another good site for ebooks:

http://www.freebookspot.ca/Default.aspx
    Ted

Just a side note... If anyone is using the non-lighted Kindle cover by Amazon--it is causing issues with the kindle turnings off randomly. Weirdest issues I've ever had. I called because my kindle was randomly shutting off/locking up every hour or so, and the lady I talked to told me to take the cover off. They reimbursed me my 35 bucks for the cover (they also said they were going to send a gift card so I could buy the lighted cover, but that never happened :-\). One of my coworkers had the same issue and when she called in the Amazon worker told her to take off the cover and throw it across the room ^_^

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0