Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,772

    Our libraries, physical or virtual

    Non Fiction for me, especially books dealing with the study of mammal behaviors.

    I am a big proponent and user of public libraries laden with books and equipped with computers and printers available for homework.


    I feel that reference and textbooks should be available in e-book format because in book form they are so heavy and expensive.

    This way public libraries would have more than one reference book and would be able to lend the reference and the e-texbooks.


    Some of my favorites:

    Never Cry Wolf: Farley Mowat

    Gorillas in the Mist: Dianne Fossey
    The Year of the Gorilla: George Schaller
    Almost Human: A Journey into the World of Baboons by Shirley C. Strum
    In Quest of the Sacred Baboon: Hans Kummer
    Most Frans de Waal books except the newest ones (hoping to catch up)

    Elephants Memories: Cynthia Moss
    Last edited by backpack; 02-11-2011 at 05:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    427
    I'm with you Backpack.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    I'm with you Backpack.
    Thank You!


    I have read Barbara Ehrenreich "Nickel and Dimed", I just saw on her we site that she crafted more books, out to the library, I will be going.

    The late Erma Bombek and Molly Ivins are favorite too.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-12-2011 at 10:35 AM.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,772
    I posted this thread because, on the blog, Katy asked for book suggestion for her growing e-library.

    I am sure that the well read people of the forum have suggestions also.

  5. #5
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    Here in the UK there is a big debate over whether to continue to support libraries out of the public purse or the care of the elderly. Not a nice choice to have to make! We need the wisdom of Solomon!

  6. #6
    Registered User Flinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts
    107
    I agree with you backpack. Since most ebooks can be read with any laptop, PC, or other portable device, the only reason I can see not offering them would be the cost of converting such publications to an electronic format.

    I just ordered a Kindle (already suffering the dreaded Anticipation Syndrome, or "A.S.") and am looking forward to being able to download and peruse as much free material as possible, including reference stuff.

    I'm not sure how well large-format publications will translate to a 6" B&W screen though... Will keep you posted.

  7. #7
    I work at TOM BIHN Katy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwet
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinx View Post
    I just ordered a Kindle (already suffering the dreaded Anticipation Syndrome, or "A.S.") and am looking forward to being able to download and peruse as much free material as possible, including reference stuff.

    I'm not sure how well large-format publications will translate to a 6" B&W screen though... Will keep you posted.
    Good luck! I picked mine up at my local Fred Meyer, it was essentially the same price, maybe less because I didn't have to pay for shipping. This eliminated the A.S. which I don't do well with. I'm sure you'll love it when it finally arrives.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    427
    I love Barbara Ehrenreich's books!

    Here in Mesa, AZ, the city is actually building a new library despite budget woes.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

  9. #9
    Registered User Flinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts
    107
    Got the Kindle!
    Didn't know you could get them at Freddies, or I would've gone that route.

    Only one issue: a lot of reference publications are offered in a pdf format, which the Kindle can read, but since it treats the pdfs as one large entity (instead of individual pieces of text) you lose the ability to resize the text itself to suit your eyesight. The best you can do is resize the document and have to scroll from side to side to read the whole thing, or, re-orient the Kindle to read horizontally.

    So beware the pdfs! Or not! Your choice!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Here in the UK there is a big debate over whether to continue to support libraries out of the public purse or the care of the elderly. Not a nice choice to have to make! We need the wisdom of Solomon!
    The best thing the UK could do would be to nationalize all significant castles, as well as royalty's jewelry and become a republic.

    Not more tax to get the royals coat of arms on things.


    France and Austria have beautiful castles and no royals, tourists visit the castles, spend money in area restaurants, hotels and other attractions such as wine, cheese, museums, bike or riding tours.
    Everything goes back to the county and the state in form of taxes.

  11. #11
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The best thing the UK could do would be to nationalize all significant castles, as well as royalty's jewellery
    Pretty much already done. Most belong to the National Trust, which is a charity supported by public subscription. Those still in Royal Hands actually belong to the state under the act of settlement. All of the Queen's principle residences, bar Balmoral, are open to the public (e.g. Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Sandringham House, The Palace of Holyrood) unless the Queen is actually in residence.

    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    and become a republic.
    The Queen isn't that expensive in the great scheme of things, quite likely cheaper than keeping your President.

    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    more tax to get the royals coat of arms on things.
    Royal patronage is free, but as an endorsement it is a wonderful selling tool for British trade.

    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    and Austria have beautiful castles and no royals, tourists visit the castles, spend money in area restaurants, hotels and other attractions such as wine, cheese, museums, bike or riding tours.
    Everything goes back to the county and the state in form of taxes.
    Fossils and amusement parks, versus real live walking talking dinosaurs?

    I'm not sure you've quite got the answer, or, with respect, all full grasp of what living in a constitutional monarchy is really like.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Pretty much already done. Most belong to the National Trust, which is a charity supported by public subscription. Those still in Royal Hands actually belong to the state under the act of settlement. All of the Queen's principle residences, bar Balmoral, are open to the public (e.g. Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Sandringham House, The Palace of Holyrood) unless the Queen is actually in residence.



    The Queen isn't that expensive in the great scheme of things, quite likely cheaper than keeping your President.



    Royal patronage is free, but as an endorsement it is a wonderful selling tool for British trade.



    Fossils and amusement parks, versus real live walking talking dinosaurs?

    I'm not sure you've quite got the answer, or, with respect, all full grasp of what living in a constitutional monarchy is really like.

    Just messing with you!

  13. #13
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Just messing with you!
    A taste of my own medicine :-)

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    64
    I didn't start this thread so I'm not really advertising... but I do have to recommend my husband's books! They are available on Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=Noel+Hynd

    He's written political thrillers, supernatural thrillers, and a couple of nonfiction books.

    Plus he's smart enough to have given me a Brain Bag for my birthday this past year. ;-)

    Sometimes, his publishers have his ebooks on super-sale. And, yes, they do publish his stuff in physical format, too.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    418
    OK...no pressure to you but I just down loaded Conspiracy in Kiev (a bargain at $1.99 if it is good!) so we will see! A wife supporting her writer husband warms my heart as that is where I want to be in about 8 to 10 years!

    Personally I am all electronic on the reading front (iPad and Android with the Kindle and Nook apps) and most of my reference materials being Bible oriented along with the occasional technical manual and fair amount of escapist fiction.

    The Bible reference stuff alone I carry around in my phone and Ipad would give me a hernia!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0