Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Knitting!

Note to self: Always use yarn ball machine at yarn store. Avoid tangling expensive yarn.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Ouch!! If you have a willing friend you can wind a ball without a ball winder(like in the olden days!) The friend holds the skein with their hands outstretched, keeping it taut. You wind the yarn into a ball, always winding over your fingerso you don't pull the yarn too tight and take all the bounce out of it. Several good videos around. Here is a link http://knitting.about.com/od/learnto...nk_winding.htm This person distinguishes between a skein and a hank. In Canadian, a skein IS a hank. Other choice is to buy yarn that comes already wound into a ball instead of a skein. How was the class?
    Last edited by jannilee; 02-07-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Haven't signed up for the class (yet!). Just gathered some supplies this weekend. It took me a few hours to untangle it all. I kidnapped Eliam and he held the yarn while I wound the other night. I think I have the knit stitch pretty much down (other than my terrible tension).
    Last edited by Katy; 02-07-2011 at 03:19 PM.

I bought a nostepinne off Etsy last week. Haven't received it yet, but am looking forward to it. It will be easier to store than a mechanical winder.

http://blog.designedlykristi.com/?p=335

winding yarn

I am a moderator for a Nostepinde group on Ravelry called Nosty luv. Great info here on how to use a Nosty ball winder, how to make a home made swift and other goodies
    Congratulations on your new yarn purchases.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Katy,

Yet another use for a little Lilliput person?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    I bought a nostepinne off Etsy last week. Haven't received it yet, but am looking forward to it. It will be easier to store than a mechanical winder.

http://blog.designedlykristi.com/?p=335
    Oh so cool!!! I bet that is going to be handy and portable!

My nostepinne arrived last night and I am so much in love with it. I sat winding yarn all night. :-) It was a great purchase. It's just a beautiful piece, absolutely satin-smooth. (I got it from this seller.)

P.S. Off to join the Nostyluv group...

Oh my gosh! They're so pretty!!!

Neat! I've been knitting for ~7 years now (I know, I know, it's not THAT long) and I had never heard of a nostepinne. I've been balling by hand all this time (I don't have a ball winder) and have been plagued by the seemingly inevitable tangling that occurs at the end of using a center-pull ball. I'm going to have to try out a Nosty and see if that helps!

Experienced Nosty users, do you guys prefer the cone-shaped (narrower toward the top) or the cylinder-shaped (straight up and down on the working part) Nostys?

Who would have thought that I would discover a knitting technology on the TB forums, of all places You guys are awesome! I just joined the Nostyluv group on Ravelry.

And Katy -- what kind of yarn did you get? Fiber? Color? Gauge? Do share! I'm waiting to experience vicarious smooshiness...

I bought:

1. A baby alpaca worsted from Plymouth Yarn Company (it's so soft!!!) I'm really sad that this is the one I tangled but I guess I have learned to never do it again. It's a pretty white shade.

2. I bought two more (I think I read this in the book, they're called hanks?). Of the same brand/weight in a pretty dark grey color. I plan to make Eliam a cool scarf I saw in one of my books once I'm up to speed enough to attempt it.

3. Malbringo Merino Worsted in some beautiful teal color.

I prefer a slight taper to my nosty, nothing very drastic, and I prefer shorter ones, 7" range. Imho they are easier to handle when winding. I also prefer a center diameter of .75" ish for the fat part where I wind, and a little fatter for ergonomics where I hold on. My size preferences may have to do with the fact that I'm kind of small/petite and holding something wide/long and heavier and unwieldy in my hand while I'm trying to wind yarn isn't fun.
    @Katy, your yarn choices sound lovely. I'm allergic to alpaca, but man is it soft and it feels warmer than wool.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Hi yeti,
    My nosty is 9.5 inches long about 1.25 inches across at the handle end and tapers to about .5 at the "working" end. I prefer the tapered ends. They seem to make a smaller center to pull from and for me they tangle less. I've also, in a pinch, used a pencil or my thumb. It works but neither are nearly as pretty.
    I'm a spinner and have a bit of hand spun around the house.
    Happy travels,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I've only had a nostepinne for two days so too early to say what I prefer!

I can see myself getting one of the little ones for ends and bits and bobs. I tend to ball them up, throw 'em in a baggie, and use them for swatching or teaching.

Hi, Katy.

You can wind a skein into a ball without any equipment. For example, sit cross-legged and drape the skein so it goes around both knees. Or drape it over the back of a chair.

Someone at the yarn store can show you how to wind a center-pull ball with just your hands. (Ask about how to check for grain, so you know which end goes inside.)

Knitting doesn't demand a lot of equipment: needles and a small bag for ring markers and small safety pins (for row markers), a crewel-type needle for working in ends and grafting, a tape measure, a needle gauge, thread snips, paper and pencil for sketching and taking notes.

And a nice bag to carry the project in (which could be a Swift or a stuff sack in a backpack).
    Last edited by gmanedit; 02-08-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0