Thread: iPhone newbie..

Question iPhone newbie..

Hi,

I know there's gotta be some iPhone users here! I have a 2006 Macbook (Tiger) which is on it's last legs, and I'm thinking of replacing it with an iPhone 4 (or higher) for my wife and I. We're currently using Nokia phones. I like the idea of being able to do so much, as far as using the camera and video, surf the web, email, and use the Facetime feature. I'm in the Philippines right now, and my wife is in Hong Kong. The iPhone 3gs is still available here, the 4 is not coming to the Philippines until September maybe.

Would you be able to use the iPhone 4 abroad? Like hers here in the Philippines, mine in Hong Kong, both of us in the US?

Is there somewhere I can go that has info, or deals with iPhone beginners to read up on it?

Thanks
    Dave in the Philippines

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dbradford View Post
    Hi,

I know there's gotta be some iPhone users here! I have a 2006 Macbook (Tiger) which is on it's last legs, and I'm thinking of replacing it with an iPhone 4 (or higher) for my wife and I. We're currently using Nokia phones. I like the idea of being able to do so much, as far as using the camera and video, surf the web, email, and use the Facetime feature. I'm in the Philippines right now, and my wife is in Hong Kong. The iPhone 3gs is still available here, the 4 is not coming to the Philippines until September maybe.

Would you be able to use the iPhone 4 abroad? Like hers here in the Philippines, mine in Hong Kong, both of us in the US?

Is there somewhere I can go that has info, or deals with iPhone beginners to read up on it?

Thanks
    Dave in the Philippines
    hi dave!

i don't know if i would call an iphone 4 a replacement for the macbook. they certainly have overlapping features, but one is a portable computer and the other is a phone with internet connectivity and a number of apps.

having said that, you can do all of the things you describe - capture and edit video, capture photos, surf the web, send and receive email, and use facetime video chat, with the iphone 4.

i don't know how facetime will work in other countries, but if you have an unlocked iphone 4, you should be able to use it anywhere there is a gsm network. according to the iphone 4 spec page on apple's website, the iphone 4 supports UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz).

keep in mind that the iphone 4 uses a micro sim card as opposed to a standard sim card. you can cut a standard sim card to the size of a micro sim card to make it fit in the iphone 4 - for example, see here.

Hi Maverick!

Yeah, from what I've been reading the micro sims are coming out to support the iPad and iPhone4 here in "Da Phils".

My Macbook has some cracks in the case, stains, no battery (the battery swelled up with the heat and humidity), and the letter A on the keyboard is missing! Plus being FULL of ants (alive and dead) might have something to do with it.

I can't afford right now to go and replace everything..I need a new point and shoot camera (that's one of the things that was stolen here, so I got to thinking about going with an iPhone for as many of my needs as possible. The iPad seems a little too big and ponderous for right now.

Could I use Facetime with my wife in another country? Like how you can video chat using Yahoo?

I don't know what the plans are in HK using PCCW, and here there's only one provider, Globe Philippines for iPhones and plans, so I guess I'll ask them when I can.

Dave in the Philippines

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dbradford View Post
    Could I use Facetime with my wife in another country? Like how you can video chat using Yahoo?
    hi dave!

i haven't tried it myself. reading this thread on apple's support forum, the answer may not yet be so clear.

i'm hoping that skype will provide support for video calls in its iphone app so that it works not only with other iphone users, but also with mac and windows users. but that's just me hoping.

Hi again Maverick!

Yeah, but I'd be getting two iPhones, one for me and one for the better half..I think (that always get me into problems!) that between 2 iPhones 4's you can, just not sure between countries.

I just heard you need to be running at least Leopard to use the Iphone 4...

Dave in the Philippines

Volunteer Moderator
    hi dave!

the reason that skype video chat for the iphone 4 would be interesting is that it where facetime first requires you to initiate a voice call, skype would just work over the data network - whether wifi or 3g. so it wouldn't matter if the party you were calling over skype video was in the same country or someplace else.

i found this article on skype for iphone possibilities.

Thumbs up Android OS

The Android platform would also be good to check out, since there are more providers carrying these phone types.

Big advantage is the open source (Somewhat) OS.

I'll be replacing my WinMO Samsung Omnia 2 on the next Verizon "new every two". Looking at Droid X. I'm just waiting for my essential apps to be written for the Android platform.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

"the reason that skype video chat for the iphone 4 would be interesting is that it where facetime first requires you to initiate a voice call"

Maverick, really? So you have to use both the 3G network AND a WiFi connection to make FaceTime go? That's ridiculous! It can be gotten around but that involves voiding a warranty. No iPhone 4 for me.
    ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi) w/ Q-AM strap,Large Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Olive, Cayenne. It may be a gift!) Clear Quarter Cube (my version of the snake charmer), an Olive clear organizer wallet, and a slew of strapeez.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0