Picking a Packable Surge Strip

One invaluable laptop accessory (or accessory for any computer, for that matter) is a plug-in "surge protector" strip. It's especially nice if you can find one that is made for a traveling laptop setup, such as the Belkin Mini that I keep seeing at OfficeMax. So far, I've resisted buying one because I wanted to shop around and see what the best one was like.

Does anyone know of a better mini-plugin strip to use with a laptop and possibly other accessories while on the road?

Useful features:

1: Compactness to make it easy to carry.

2: Offers plug-in sockets that are arranged parallel to each other, to facilitate efficient use of all sockets by big "power bricks".

3: USB sockets to facilitate recharging of handheld accessories such as iPods.

I have four of those. They're fine. They work. Two from Ebay, two more through Amazon, all for about $12 each as I recall. And I have seen them in Walmart for about $15. I think Fry's Electronics carries them. They're everywhere. They're just a generic little cube that plugs into the outlet. Nothing fancy, nothing special.

Do a search on Ebay for "Belkin Mini Surge". Do the same on Amazon. You do have to be mindful of shipping costs, but unless you need it immeadiately as opposed to a couple of days, you might save a little.

Be alert to unconventional sources. You don't necessarily need to buy computer accessories at a place that primarily sells computers. I've seen power strips, blank media, USB cables, etc. in the local grocery store. Every time I go into Costco, I seem to always notice something I wouldn't have ordinarily thought to go there to shop for.

Oh, and in case you wonder why I have so many, that's easy... one for each laptop, and a spare (when you can get them as low as two for one, why wouldn't you get two?).

Whoa...

I have my hands full with one MacBook Pro and an aging iMac.

I wish I had a Costco near me. None here. Just Wal Mart, K Mart and Sam's Club. (And we dropped our Sam's membership quite a while ago.)

I'll keep what you said in mind. $$$ are very tight right now, but that's likely to change soon.

Thanks.

Only thing I can find wrong with the one you suggest is it doesn't have a cord. One problem I have is the outlets are hidden and you need to bring the connection out from behind the bed or dresser to plug your stuff into it. But I stay in old places often. I am interested in the one you posted though.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Another Portable Power Strip

Kensington makes a similar device with an integral cord (http://us.kensington.com/html/15712.html). I haven't used either so can't comment on functionality or quality.

Some of the people reviewing these devices recommend an additional product called the Power Strip Liberator, which increases the number of outlets.

I've been using a monster outlets to go 3 port w/ usb. It has a single usb socket so that may not be enough for you. It also has parallel sockets and one socket is on the other side so it handles power bricks pretty well.

It also has a bright blue led when it's plugged it that I covered with black electrical tape. I find it preferable to the belkin you mentioned because the monster has a cable and the belkin is larger than it looks in pictures. I would recommend taking a look at the size of the belkin first (or at least the box, as it is basically the size of the box) to see if it fits your needs.

Monster Link

http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-Go-Pow...1706979&sr=8-3

good luck in your search,
    -bonta

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0