Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Seeking goods made in the USA [Post-Gazette]

"Seeking goods made in the USA"
    Sunday, March 07, 2010
    By Patricia Sabatini, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Whether born of patriotism ignited by 9/11 or quality concerns triggered by tainted imports such as lead-laced toys from China, some consumers have been giving the "Buy American" mantra a fresh look.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10066/1040659-68.stm

I thought this article might interest participants in this forum.

--The Mountain Man

My own "buy American" inclinations has little if anything to do patriotism, which seems oddly coupled with buying habits to me. Instead, I buy American because I care about having living wage jobs with safe and decent working conditions in this country. I care about not having the things I need shipped from around the world , adding to my carbon footprint. I care about knowing that children and other easily exploited workers aren't being exploited on my behalf. And I care very much about buying well designed, well made products that will not end up in a landfill because they wear out quickly or break or aren't satisfying my needs. And I bet I am not alone.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.