Question iSuggestions Sought: iPhone/iPod-Touch Apps and Accessories

Hi fellow forum members! I recently acquired my first Apple product, an iPod Touch. I know from past discussions that there are many Apple fans here in the Tom Bihn forums. In this thread I am asking for suggestions regarding accessories and apps for my iPod-Touch. As KarlJ observed in another thread, I have never been to Macworld. I bet some of you have and many of you have great ideas for how to get the most out of an iPod Touch.

To start things off, here is what I have so far:

A USB wall socket adapter I got from Radio Shack some time back. Works fine, and I used it already to charge my iPod Touch. So, I can charge the iPod with the PC off.

I re-purposed a leather zipper grip from a Dayrunner planner to serve as a wrap for my earbuds cord.

I have the I Heart Radio, SHOUTcast, Pandora, Facebook, Twitterific, all of which were free. I did pay for TuneIn TRadio and so far I like it. I came aware of it because I am a RadioTime Premium customer.

What does everyone use for apps and what accessories have you found useful?

Thanks all for your help and participation in this thread!
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Okay, in answer to the original thread, if I understood correctly, you might be looking for something that can be carried with a lanyard like the Tom Bihn Passport Pouch? If that's the case (pun), you might consider something like the Golla Raft Pouch.

Just off the top of my head, a few websites you will want to punch in from time to time for your accessoriy ideas include:

everythingiCafe (both the store and the blog)
    Griffin Technology
    Case-Mate (a good place to shop, but can usually find what they have for less elsewhere)

BindApple sometimes has some pretty good reviews of various things.

That should get you started. Enjoy your new toy!

Here are some of the apps I have on mine:

NYTimes
    USA Today
    RSSRunner (RSS feeds)
    Weather Channel
    Yahoo
    Kindle
    Stanza
    My banks and brokers have apps
    Citysearch
    Yelp
    SitorSquat
    Expedia
    Kayak
    Travelocity
    Where
    Flightaware
    Google Earth
    ESPN
    CNBC
    MSNBC
    Ebay
    Craigslist
    AOL Radio
    Starbucks
    Wikipedia
    Bing
    Currency Converter
    Some games
    Flashlight
    lots of local news
    International news apps
    International train apps

All the above are free.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Here's some of my favorite iPhone apps:

Tweetie
    Bank Of America
    ShopShop - supposed to be used for groceries, but it's a quick to do list app too
    GroceryIQ
    AT&T myWireless - pay your phone bill/check your usage
    Mint.com
    FourSquare
    eBay
    Paypal
    PhoneFlicks - Netflix
    What's On? - TV listings
    Cardstar - all of your grocery/store membership cards
    JellyCar/JellyCar2 - BEST game
    USAA - car insurance

Quote Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
    Here's some of my favorite iPhone apps:

Tweetie
    Bank Of America
    ShopShop - supposed to be used for groceries, but it's a quick to do list app too
    GroceryIQ
    AT&T myWireless - pay your phone bill/check your usage
    Mint.com
    FourSquare
    eBay
    Paypal
    PhoneFlicks - Netflix
    What's On? - TV listings
    Cardstar - all of your grocery/store membership cards
    JellyCar/JellyCar2 - BEST game
    USAA - car insurance
    I've avoided this thread for far too long. I definitely have an app-addiction.

I'll second Tweetie, Mint.com, What's On? and FourSquare

and add:

UPS
    This American Life
    Enigmo - This game is fun but I am terrible at it.
    DoodleJump- Super addicting game.
    Gowalla- Like FourSquare but prettier.
    Yelp
    NYTimes
    AP Mobile
    NPR
    BeejiveIM- For ALL you instant messaging needs.
    IMDb
    Fandango
    Urbanspoon- I haven't found a good restaurant on here yet but I like the slot machine noise it makes.
    OpenTable- Makes dinner reservations
    SimCity
    Skee-Ball- Another really addicting game I'm terrible at.
    Siri- Finds restaurants, movie theaters, movie times and so much more. It's like your personal life assistant.

And if you're into that sort of thing:
    iReddit
    Shovel (Digg)
    TWiT
    Last edited by Katy; 09-14-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I've avoided this thread for far too long. I definitely have an app-addiction.

I'll second Tweetie, Mint.com, What's On? and FourSquare

and add:

UPS
    This American Life
    Enigmo - This game is fun but I am terrible at it.
    DoodleJump- Super addicting game.
    Gowalla- Like FourSquare but prettier.
    Yelp
    NYTimes
    AP Mobile
    NPR
    BeejiveIM- For ALL you instant messaging needs.
    IMDb
    Fandango
    Urbanspoon- I haven't found a good restaurant on here yet but I like the slot machine noise it makes.
    OpenTable- Makes dinner reservations
    SimCity
    Skee-Ball- Another really addicting game I'm terrible at.
    Siri- Finds restaurants, movie theaters, movie times and so much more. It's like your personal life assistant.

And if you're into that sort of thing:
    iReddit
    Shovel (Digg)
    TWiT
    Someone else who reads both Digg AND Reddit! Let's be friends on FourSquare! I just joined http://foursquare.com/user/brianstowell

If I had to pick a favorite app (and I mean add-on app, not the basics like email, calendar, etc) I'd have to say Instapaper. I went ahead and coughed up for the paid version, and I love it.

Most often I use it when I get emails with links in them. I open the email, check out the link quickly, if it looks good I'll mark it using Read Later (which is Instapaper's browser app), and then I can read it at a more appropriate time (try not to distract myself at work too much).

The paid version allows me to keep many many links...I should find out how many (I am pretty sure there is a limit). The free version you can only keep 10 or 12. You can bookmark websites using your browser on computer or iPhone.
    Proud owner of an Aeronaut (indigo), Med. Cafe (steel, indigo), mini organizer (blue), med. organizer (cork), larger organizer (cork). Always thinking about what to get next.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0