3D Printing? Has anyone seen this before?!?

So today I am in an office of a design firm doing some Video Troubleshooting when I spot this odd device and was drawn to it like a magnet.

You just have to see this to believe it,I did see it and I don't believe it.

It is that freaky!

http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-...int-video.aspx

This is not the exact one that I saw but you will get the idea.

Ed

I have seen these before. They are used in product design, toy design and industrial design (among other places) to build prototypes, or sometimes in the movie/entertainment biz to build props. Every so often you'll see these on some show on the discover channel or history channel, where they re-create a virtual 3-D model of a lost building, animal, artifact, etc. I seem to remember a set of researchers re-creating a 3-d model of the face imprinted on the Shroud of Turin once. That was pretty neat.

I have NEVER seen one at that price point. I wonder how much the consumables cost? It would be cool to have it in the living room!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Volunteer Moderator
    Welcome to the future!

10, 15 or 20 years from now, this product will be selling on Amazon under $200. It was not too long ago when a laser printer was $10K, say early 1980s. This product automates a process, so if you're a fortune 1000 company or a design/multimedia firm, the price would be very easy to justify.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    10, 15 or 20 years from now, this product will be selling on Amazon under $200. It was not too long ago when a laser printer was $10K, say early 1980s. This product automates a process, so if you're a fortune 1000 company or a design/multimedia firm, the price would be very easy to justify.
    I remember those days... that was also back at the time when video editing tools and technology cost an arm and a leg as well. Now anyone with an iMac is a video wizard out of the box.
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.