Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Question Horizontal Belt Sheaths/Pouches

Hi Forum Friends,

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you all a Happy New Year! Now, onto the thread topic.

I prefer horizontal belt sheaths for some gadgets and tools. I wear a Benchmade knife on my belt in a horizontal sheath (also made by Benchmade.) I am adding a flashlight to my belt as an everyday carry item as well. It comes with a clip that I think will let me just clip it to the sheath I use for my knife. When it arrives I will test it. If that method proves insufficient, I will need a sheath for that as well, and I would want one that is horizontal. Additionally, I am considering adding a horizontal sheath/pouch for my cell phone.

Does anyone know a good supplier of sheaths/pouches for belts? TB doesn't make such (hint, hint, Tom ) and I would like to see if there are any nice ones available. The main criteria for the sheath is that it use a loop, or Velcro-like loop (a la Manhattan Portage pouches and pads) and that it ride horizontally (long side parallel to my pants belt.) I am considering getting the Manhattan Portage Cell Phone Case, and using it as a belt pouch, but I would like something that opens along the long side.

Any ideas? Thanks all, for your input!
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

You might check out Nutshell cases (tuff-as-nuts.com). They have a variety of cases that can be worn horizontally on a belt. Not sure if they have any that open along that axis, however. FYI - they will do a custom case although the cost may be prohibitive.

Hope this helps.

Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Thanks for the input rabergnc and BPritchard. Useful and amusing, nice mix! I thought I should share what my solution was ultimately. I found a site with neat products but a horrible web site design. The company is called County Comm. I have done an order with them without a hitch and the products I received were all excellent.

In regard to my pouch need I ordered a small size personal carry pouch which it turns out is just a little too snug for my cell phone. However, it's a wonderful belt pouch, that has two velcro'd loops which I can unwrap/wrap onto my belt which stays me from the hassle of taking the belt off to thread the pouch on. It makes it real convenient. I wish I had that on my knife sheath. I currently use it to carry my Gerber knife sharpener which is real convenient for touching up my edge.

Some of the items I got in addition to the above are the army tweezers (they are excellent), tether cord (this stuff is neat to make lanyards), and the ARES Light, which I cannibalized the clip from and attached it to one of the black cased lights they sell, and now have it clipped into my bag on an o-ring. What a neat bag light. I can also clip it to my watch band if I'm in a Space Ghost kind of mood. :P What I really like about their lights is that they have an easy to use switch. No squeeze button, no tiny plastic nub, but a nice easy to use slide switch.

If you look in the 'what's new' section of the site, you can find most of the items they carry. Sometimes you find a broken link but can get to the object by finding a link to it on another item page. Good prices, nifty products, poor website. I will be buying from them again. They use Paypal for Net sales. Thanks again for the feedback!
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0