TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Lightbulb I am getting a new Powerbook

My PC desktop, running Windows ME, has been slow and horrible to use for a long time. Then yesterday the hard drive fried. Our local computer repair place was able to save all the info on my hard drive, but we decided not to take any more chances and get me a Powerbook to use as my desktop replacement laptop.

Here is the model we decided on:

Processor 1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    Cache L2: 512K
    Bus Speed 167 Mhz
    Memory Slots: 2
    Type: PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SO-DIMM SDRAM
    Installed: 1G (One, SO-DIMM)
    Capacity: 2GB
    Configuration: 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, or 1GB SO-DIMM
    Display Type: TFT LCD
    Size: 15"
    Graphics Display Card Interface: AGP 4X graphics slot
    Installed: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB of DDR SDRAM

Hard Drive Bays: 1
    Installed: 80GB 5400 rpm Ultra ATA/100 hard drive
    Type: Ultra ATA
    Optical Drive Bays: 1
    Installed: SuperDrive, CD and DVD burner

Input and Output Connectors Firewire 400: One, 4-Pin
    Firewire 800: One 9-pin
    USB 2.0: Two
    PC Card Slot: (1) One PC Card/CardBus slot supporting one Type I or Type II card

Display
    VGA: Yes, with included DVI to VGA adapter
    ADC: No, (Optional with Apple ADC-DVI adaptor)
    DVI: Yes
    S-Video: Yes
    Composite Video: No, (Optional, output only with S-video to composite adaptor)

Analog audio: Line In via minijack
    Digital audio: Only via Firewire

Video
    Analog: No
    Digital: Yes, in and out via Firewire

AirPort Extreme Installed (based on 802.11g standard; 802.11b Wi-Fi Certified)

Bluetooth: Installed

Illuminated fiber-optic, backlit keyboard with ambient light sensor

Plus AppleCare.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

EGT
    You've got yourself a top of the line powerbook!

I wish you all the best with it!!! I've been using my 15" powerbook for a few months now. I switched from a window XP desktop, which I will eventually sell and get a G5 power mac. Mac os X is just so much better than anything to date, I donít know why i switched earlier. You will love your new computer.

Good luck with it!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    You are so right...

I can't believe how beautiful the display is. It's absolutley stunning. And it runs sooo fast.

If anyone out there is nervous about switching, don't be.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Originally posted by Darcy
    You are so right...

I can't believe how beautiful the display is. It's absolutley stunning. And it runs sooo fast.

If anyone out there is nervous about switching, don't be.
    Congrats! Once you go Mac, you'll never turn back. You'll be dazzled now, but give it time, and your dazzle will turn into obsession! A Mac fiend like the rest of us.

OS is by far the most intuitive, well developed system out there; iLife suite, the Production Suite, iPods, LCD's, Airtunes ... you just can't get enough.