Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Your Moleskine (or other Notebook) of Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by DQBunny View Post
    You know, since good notebooks and fountain pens go hand in hand, where can one get a good, inexpensive fountain pen these days? I dearly miss writing with one and used to pick up a cheap one when I was in high school and wrote with it all the time. Now I can't seem to find them any longer.
    There is a fountain pen shop in Scottsdale, below is their link to the Lamy Safari, a very sturdy fountain pen available in an array of color and not very expensive around $30. I have several Safaris and this is the fountain pen I would recommend as a starter pen.
    http://www.scottsdalepen.com/lamy-pe...c-139_141.html

If you want to find something cheaper, to feel your way back to fountain pen, go to your local Office Depot and find the cheap Yafa fountain pen, in a blister pack, usually next to refillable ballpoints like the Parker Jotter.
    Office Depot also has Cross fountain pens.

Staples has my number 2 fountain pen of choice, the Waterman Phileas.
    I have multiple of them and I like them a lot. They are also around $24-30 depending on the store.
    They may have a sale, right now.

If you want really really cheap starter pens at Yafa fountain pen price, your only other option is an internet seller.

Got to the fountain pen forum at http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/
    Sign up and ask a lot of questions about cheap, starter fountain pens in the writing instrument sub forum.

The Lamy Safari and Watermam Phileas are my personal favorites but I know that there are cheaper fountain pens available.
    eWalker likes this.

I think I'm going to order a Lamy Safari ballpoint!!!
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

For you fountain pen aficionados, here's a web site that may make all the difference: mikeitwork.com.
    eWalker likes this.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    I think I'm going to order a Lamy Safari ballpoint!!!
    You won't be disappointed. I have had mine, which I bought with the matching fountain pen, rollerball and pencil, for at least 10 years, it has been used every month ever since to write my rent check and addressing my correspondence.

I am still using the original refill.

I found Lamy's to be equivalent in the writing instrument area to what Tom Bihn does for bags.

The Safari is the Cafe Bag/Synapse/Imago of the line, everyday use and nice looking. (Safari colors match Tom Bihn's and there is even a clear version to match with everything)

The Studio, also from Lamy, is more like the Tristar or the Checkpoint Flyer.
    It is a steel pen which is available in many colors, it looks extremely professional.

I use a Retro51 with a Schmidt Esay Flow 9000 refill. I like it. But, all this talk of fountain pens, and a look at the mikeitwork.com fine tuning options really are piquing my interest in fountain pens, which I dismissed 30 years ago as too messy, and far to much of a hassle. I suspect that the technology has improved. How are these Lamy fountain pens refilled? Do they leak? I'd like to hear from fans of the fountain pen as to why they like them, and how well they work.

I am ever-questing for the perfect writing instrument and paper medium. My suspicion is others here are as well.
    Last edited by ex machina; 12-06-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: spelling error corrected
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

I just got my first Lamy, a Signature from http://www.jetpens.com and filled it with Noodler's Purple Martin ink (my signature might give away that I am a fan of purple.) I really like that pen! (I use a converter.)

For cheaper fountain pens, I love my Pilot Prera and Ohto Fine from http://www.jstationery.com . I'm a big fan of Japanese medium nibs, which are close to Fine for me. (These two only use cartridges.)

ex machina, I have a Retro 51 Tornado and I have a hard time getting it to flow well. Do you have any tips? I just put an Ohto cartridge in and I'm hoping to have success.
    Last edited by Jenne; 12-06-2009 at 01:14 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post

ex machina, I have a Retro 51 Tornado and I have a hard time getting it to flow well. Do you have any tips? I just put an Ohto cartridge in and I'm hoping to have success.
    Hi Jenne,
    My Tornados are not fountain pens. I use the Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 M ink. I find it works well, responds to either a light or heavy hand, flow is excellent, and it doesn't leak. I think it is a thixotropic ink but not as 'dry' as Fisher. I find it to be more fluid. I am happy with it, and the best price I found was on eBay. I ordered a bunch there at a price of under 2.50 each when all was said and done.

If your Tornado is a fountain pen, I have no suggestions for ink as I would be out of my element. I am just beginning to look at fountain pens again after 30 years. I don't even own one at present. My interest was renewed by seeing that many people are interested in and using them. I don't think there would be this level of interest if the problems I had in the past are still prevalent. I think I will have to visit a fine pen store to really evaluate the possibility of using a fountain again. However, I will continue using my Tornados with Schmidt ink for daily use (until I discover something better.

Hi, ex. Years ago I switched from fountain pens to capless rollerballs. I like a pen you can use one-handed—something where you don't need two hands to take the cap off. I bought a Jorg Hysek (http://penopoly.com/?cat=66; heavy; fat barrel; beautiful but expensive, but it made a great impression at meetings) and a Lamy (http://www.pencity.com/cgi-bin/SoftC....htm?E+scstore). The Lamy is neat: When you push in the thingie on top to bring out the point, the clip retracts into the barrel.

Fountain pen history: Parker from college (I still have it), older model Namiki Vanishing Point (for the one-handed operation, plus the point is up when you carry it, so it doesn't leak), and a glass dip pen (something like this: http://www.jetpens.com/product_info....oducts_id/3781), an impulse purchase at a going-out-of-business sale. Surprisingly (to me), the dip pen works fine, with regular fountain pen ink; it's a real pen.

The Penopoly site says fountain pens are cheaper to use (bottled ink versus rollerball refills). Maybe I'll end up going back to the Namiki. I still prefer the convenience of rollerballs.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    I just got my first Lamy, a Signature from http://www.jetpens.com and filled it with Noodler's Purple Martin ink (my signature might give away that I am a fan of purple.) I really like that pen! (I use a converter.)

For cheaper fountain pens, I love my Pilot Prera and Ohto Fine from http://www.jstationery.com . I'm a big fan of Japanese medium nibs, which are close to Fine for me. (These two only use cartridges.)

I am still using fountain pens and I recommend the fountainpennetwork site if what I suggest doesn't resolve the problem.

The best flowing ink is Waterman Florida Blue, if you could buy a bottle and
    a converter for your pen, it will most likely flow well.

Then switch to smooth paper, the best are Clarefontaine and Rhodia but HP 32lb laserjet paper is more economical if you are doing massive amount of writing. I use 100% recycled printer paper.

Depending on the type of paper you are using, there might be tiny pieces of fiber stuck between the tines of the nib causing flow difficulties. Check with a loupe.

Feel free to ask me more questions.

Thumbs up Lamy Safari ballpoint

Backpack:

Does the Lamy Safari ballpoint have the longest write out?

That's my assumption in buying a ballpoint! Also, fewer hassles. There appears to be an entire subculture of people that are into pens.
    Travel Lite & Smart

Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    Backpack:

Does the Lamy Safari ballpoint have the longest write out?

That's my assumption in buying a ballpoint! Also, fewer hassles. There appears to be an entire subculture of people that are into pens.

I bought the ballpoint at least 10 years ago, it has been used every month ever since to write my rent check and addressing my correspondence.

I am still using the original refill on the Lamy.

My family used and probably still uses Parker Jotters, the refill is long lasting.
    The pen is too thin for me.

My husband's Tornado ballpoint, which was a gift, the original refill stopped working this year after a little more than a couple of years of infrequent use.

I don't know about other brands, prior to using my Lamy ballpoint, I just used give away promotional pens.

All Lamy pens and especially the Safari ballpoints are extremely comfortable.

backpack, I saw Scottsdale Pen's site right after I made the last post. Thanks, everyone, for chiming in! I think I will go pick out a Lamy for myself after I get paid this week. ^_^
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    My family used and probably still uses Parker Jotters, the refill is long lasting.
    The pen is too thin for me.
    I LOVE Parker Jotters, but they are hard to come by in my local brick-and-mortar shops (and expensive unless they're at the PX/NEX etc.)

They aren't too thin for me... If they are too thin for you, I'm having a ball imagining you with one of those tiny Cross pens

Fountain pens... I'm loving the discussion here since my (very few) experiences with any of those have been disastrous!

Thumbs up

Back when I worked in the aerospace industry, I often gave away Cross pens to customers. The customer would be sitting across the table from me and make a remark about my Cross pen, then I'd simply hand them the Cross pen to keep.

This worked well in the contract negotiation process.
    Travel Lite & Smart

Talking

Just:

You can find Parker Jotters here!
    Last edited by PM4HIRE; 12-07-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Travel Lite & Smart

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0