Mac Laptops as Desktops

I gave up on desktop computers about a year ago in favor of using my 15" Powerbook G4. I have no intention of going back. I have lots more desktop space and the only downside is that I have no space for computer toys.

Has anybody else made the switch? What are your reactions?

I too have a laptop as a desktop. My 17" Powerbook has been my primary desktop and laptop for the past year or so, and is excellent in the job. Beautiful display, awesome performance, why go back?

Dave

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    What about overheating? Is that a problem with the Powerbooks when they're used say, 8-10 hours a day at work?

I have a friend who has an iBook that gets overheated pretty easily...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Mac laptops and overheating

Yes, my mac laptop does get warm. To solve this problem I bought a gizzmo called "Podium CoolPad" from Road Tools (www.roadtools.com).

The CoolPad lifts up the back of the laptop from the desk surface and allows air to flow through. It also makes it lots easier to type on a laptop, which usually is flat on the desktop.

I don't leave the laptop on 24/7 either. I shut it off at the end of the day, giving it a chance to cool down a bit.

The CoolPad is a nifty device, but I must admit that I elevate the back of my other laptop with a long Lincoln Log!

On the subject of cooling, a Griffin iCurve will raise the chassis and keep things cooler while at your main place of work.

Also places the screen at the right height if you are doubling up on Monitors. Or even if you're not.

Connect a mouse and keyboard and you'll increase the lifespan of your laptop or keep it as pristine as possible if ever you decide to sell it on.

No, I don't work for apple or griffin.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Originally posted by Jaffa Jim
    a Griffin iCurve
    That's a really cool looking display.

I have the Coolpad that bhop46 recommended
    which works great, but isn't as cool looking.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Kansas City, Missouri ... for the time being
    I have used my 15" PowerBook as a dektop for over a year, and it is fabulous but an iCurve or equivalent is a definite necessity.<br><br>Actually, having said that, my situation is changing to where I'm going to be traveling more, so I'm getting a new 12" iBook... does anyone want to buy my PowerBook? It has AppleCare for over a year and a half and the iCurve comes free! <BR><br>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Kansas City, Missouri ... for the time being
    Grrr... someone "bought" my computer and it turned out to be a fraudulent purchase... it's relisted in case anyone wants to check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

On my second desktop laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by bhop46
    I gave up on desktop computers about a year ago in favor of using my 15" Powerbook G4. I have no intention of going back. I have lots more desktop space and the only downside is that I have no space for computer toys.
    No toys -- bummer.. At least get the wireless mouse and keyboard when using your iCurve. I have really enjoyed not having to mess with the wires. With Mac I think that it is easier to go desktop than with PC since everything is so elegant and well thought out. I added a 23" Apple screen since I graduated from school. Works wonderful will have to pass on the G5 Power Mac since I travel. I would love to have one of those as a server for home.

The Raindesign iLap has worked really well for me, keeping my 12" iBook cool even after hours of working on it.
    http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

Volunteer Moderator
    Big Foot Laptop Cooler from UPstrap (folks who make shoulder straps for camera bags; dcphotoguy referenced them in this forum thread about straps) is a portable option to keep laptops cool.

They're basically a pair of broad rubber "feet" that you slip under the back corners of your laptop, raising the back up and improving airflow. The base is broad enough so there's no slippage (the side in contact with the laptop is about 1.5" in diameter, while the end that rests on the table is about 0.5" in diameter). The latest generation 12" PowerBooks don't seem to run so hot, so I only occasionally need to use these. Even when these laptops are being used as desktop replacements portability can be a factor; I can stick these into my purse and pull them out if I need them. They send you 3 of these for $5.95 (in case you should lose one). A nice, low-tech cooling solution to take along with your laptop in the Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by bhop46

Has anybody else made the switch? What are your reactions?
    I did the switch to the 15" G4 Powerbook more than 1.5 years ago. I do work a lot away from my home office, and it is great to have all the documents and programs available, whether I am traveling or at home.

To be on the save side, I bought an external hard disk a while ago; I try to have it with me if I leave the PB behind or leave it behind when taking the PB with me.

One word re toys: I have the Apple Bluetooth keyboad, which I enjoy a lot. I did buy the Bluetooth mouse, too, but stopped using it after a few months, when I started to show symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: the two AA size batteries make it too heavy.

Wladimir

PS: Still have to get my first Tom Bihn bag, which ain't easy here in Austria.

This looks really cool AND looks like it would work well on a real lap. BUT there is no place for a mouse. Has anyone used any of the lapdesks out there (such as this one: http://www.laptopdesk.net/desks.html?source=press)? Thanks in advance for the help.

I have fallen from the true faith

I started this thread back in July 04, and I have used my 12" and 15" PowerBooks as desk top machines for about three years. I came to use the iCurve too, but I still prefer the Podium CoolPad because it does the job AND is small enough to carry around.

I have, however, recently fallen from the true faith. I am the proud owner of a 20" iMac dual core. I find myself doing more and more photo editing, both in iPhoto and in Photoshop elements. Pretty soon I plan to add on Apple's new Aperture. Photo editing on a 15" screen is very doable, but the 20" screen is orders of magnitude easier, since you can spread out the tool boxes beyond the image.

The iMac has one thing in common with my laptops. It's so thin I still can't mount any computer toys.

For my gradekeeping and other teacherly pursuits (tests, notes, databases) I still use my 12" PowerBook. It is also the computer that goes into the field with my camera for downloading after a day's shoot.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0