Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Travel Mugs

From my research a while ago the key to heat retention is the vacuum seal. If they don't say vacuum seal then you may not have warm coffee for a while.

I got frustrated with trying to find the Contigo so about a year ago I went to either Target or Walmart to the camping section and found a decent selection of containers. I went with a good old fashion Thermos brand that had dual steel wall with vacuum in between. It took a while to translate the "how many hours warm" numbers but I was able to finally figure out that vacuum was about 24-48 hours (or some silly like that) while non vacuum were 6 to 8 or 8 to 12.

Anyway, my Thermos is pretty good. Nothing fancy - just a screw top and a screw in stopper. It can leak if I'm not careful but it's about as leak proof as it gets. So I guess I'm saying to give the camping department a try and look for a plain old Thermos.

those look really nice!! although I wish they'd make the kids' size on stainless steel too. For my coffee, I prefer something that's at most 8oz...

I don't necessarily need something non-spillable since I usually sit down for coffee rather than carry it around, so I'm thinking of trying this one
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I received my Contigo and it's working beautifully. Thanks for the recommendations!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I got 3 Vacuum Insulated Contigo Travel Mugs in Stainless Steel at my local Target.

I love the fact that I can bring my beverage of choice (water with a little of organic juice for taste) and keep it cold for 12 hours.

Cleanup is a breeze.

They have no handle and look more like sippy cups for grown ups than mugs.
    I have a novelty fabric holder insulated with a short shoulder strap that I use to transport the mug on walks.

This holder is not ideal.

I either need to tweak a Yarn Stuff Sack by adding a Passport Pouch handle to it or get a Side Effect.

Does anybody owns a Side Effect and a Contigo Vacuum Insulated travel mug and does it fit portrait view?
    Last edited by backpack; 07-21-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Does anybody owns a Side Effect and a Contigo Vacuum Insulated travel mug and does it fit portrait view?
    I gave it a try for you, but it doesn't fit well either horizontally or vertically. It will fit, just barely, sideways, but would be a pain to get in & out quickly for a sip of water. Of course the mug can stand up out of the pocket, but it makes the Side Effect overbalanced.

Here's an idea: Contigo makes a vacuum insulated travel mug with a handle that is also a carabiner clip type. That would easily clip onto the strap of the Side Effect, or a belt loop. It might bounce around, though. There are bound to be better solutions out there.

Mugs with an open handle can always easily slip into your pants or belt and will stay there unless you are doing somersaults.

just wanted to chime in and say that i have been using my new contigo travel mug for a few weeks now, and it's fantastic! thanks for the recommendation!

I don't do somersaults

But being a girl I don't clip anything into my pants

I also bought the mugs without handles so that they are streamlined enough to fit inside the insulated pouch I use as a compartment inside the Swift.

I guess I am going to have to use one of my Yarn Stuff Sack to carry the mug. Thanks for the Side Effect experiment hrmeeks.

I need to put a little keychain or something on the cup holder Stuff Sack so that I don't find myself carrying needlework on a walk or a Contigo cup and nothing else in needlework classes
    Last edited by backpack; 07-21-2009 at 06:20 PM.

another Thermos user

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    Anyway, my Thermos is pretty good. Nothing fancy - just a screw top and a screw in stopper. It can leak if I'm not careful but it's about as leak proof as it gets. So I guess I'm saying to give the camping department a try and look for a plain old Thermos.
    Agreed!!

I spent months trying to find a good travel mug (leak-proof and kept coffee warm). Lots of wasted plastic.

Then I found the Thermos e5 line at Target. Best coffee mug I've ever used. Drinking from mine right now, it's almost 2 years old, and has survived many drops, dishwashings, camping trips, etc.

Thermos site: http://tinyurl.com/m98g68
    They also make one without the handle: http://tinyurl.com/lh5zfp
    But that handle is sturdy, and I've used it to hang the mug off a backpack, my belt, even a tree branch while camping. It hangs nicely off the side of the center console tray in my Civic Hybrid.

Excellent value. Target price is under $20: http://tinyurl.com/nuyqd8

If you don't mind the screw top lid (not very easy one-handed), it's a great travel mug. It's not 100% leakproof, but enough so that I'd feel OK carrying it next to a laptop inside a bag. (wouldn't want to leave it that way for long, though)

[edit]
    One potential negative (but a plus for me): the bottom base is somewhat strange. It might not work in some auto cup holders. But it works GREAT on my desk at work. Whatever crazy material they've used - some kind of grippy plastic, it provides just the right amount of "grip" on a slick surface. It's also very stable on a desk. Because of the handle I hang it off the center console. Doesn't work well in Civic cup holders (the ones with for spring-loaded size adjusters). Very smart handle design, though.
    Last edited by kengreen; 07-24-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Maybe a naive attitude on my part but I found that my Contigo stainless steel cup doesn't react well to blueberry/pomegranate juice.

After a while it gets acidic and taste really bitter.

Pear juice works fine. I'll try white grape juice in a little while.

Just wanted you all to know!

Maybe a naive attitude on my part but I found that my Contigo stainless steel cup doesn't react well to blueberry/pomegranate juice.

After a while it gets acidic and taste really bitter.

Pear juice works fine. I'll try white grape juice in a little while.

Just wanted you all to know!
    I wonder why? All I've ever put in my mugs was coffee, iced tea, water, grapefruit juice, & cranberry juice, with no problems.

I got a pair of Contigo Kids' Mugs today to keep the cats from drinking out of my water at night & spilling it all over the nightstand and whatever books might be there One of those will fit great in the Side Effect with room to spare, & I could actually get both in, but with no spare room. They only hold 9 ozs., & aren't thermal insulated, but they don't leak & are very well-made. If cold water is all you need to carry in your Side Effect, that might suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by hrmeeks View Post
    I wonder why? All I've ever put in my mugs was coffee, iced tea, water, grapefruit juice, & cranberry juice, with no problems.

I got a pair of Contigo Kids' Mugs today to keep the cats from drinking out of my water at night & spilling it all over the nightstand and whatever books might be there One of those will fit great in the Side Effect with room to spare, & I could actually get both in, but with no spare room. They only hold 9 ozs., & aren't thermal insulated, but they don't leak & are very well-made. If cold water is all you need to carry in your Side Effect, that might suffice.
    Thanks for sharing!

I keep one of the Contigo mugs at bedside so I can drink during the night but avoid spills on my alarm clock.

Really thoughful of you to try to fit the kid's mugs into the Side Effect.

Would I be able to fit a Small Pouch containing a smart phone in the side pocket and a Mini Pouch with the Kids' Mug in the main compartment?
    Just wanted to know if the small mug is bending the back compartment too out of shape to do that.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-24-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks for sharing!

I keep one of the Contigo mugs at bedside so I can drink during the night but avoid spills on my alarm clock.

Really thoughful of you to try to fit the kid's mugs into the Side Effect.

Would I be able to fit a Small Pouch containing a smart phone in the side pocket and a Mini Pouch with the Kids' Mug in the main compartment?
    Just wanted to know if the small mug is bending the back compartment too out of shape to do that.
    You could very easily fit those 3 items. After adding your contents, I just kept adding more stuff to see what the SE would hold. I was able to add a bunch of pouches with rather thin contents into the main compartment along with the mug, & with my iPhone in a small pouch in the back zippered pocket. The iPhone in the small pouch was a tight fit for the pocket itself. I had to fold the extra cloth around the phone to get it into the pocket. The phone worked better with no pouch. Mine is in an Agent18 EcoShield Slider, which adds a tiny bit of bulk, but not much. In the week I've had the Side Effect, I've carried my phone sans pouch in that pocket, with everything else in the main bag. That way it won't get scratched by keys & is quick to get to.

Just to see if I could, with the SE filled with your contents, I was able to get my camera in the main pouch along with the mug. It wasn't too tight, but I don't think I'd do that for real Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks for the very helpful pictures hrmeek

I found out that Contigo has a kid's mug in Pink.

If I find one at the local affiliated retailers, I will most probably get a Side Effect.

I have been trying to find a reason (excuse) to buy one.

I think that as a workout bag, a Dyneema Side Effect would be
    absolutely perfect.

What do you think?

I think it would work well, & Dyneema would be nice. That's part of my problem -- I want one of every color they make!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0