Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Non metal hair holder for airport security

I have very fine long hair and the only thing that keeps it together are barrettes.

However, I always need to remove the barrette at security resulting in a big
    fluff of hair that is impossible to really fix while running to the gate and carrying
    my Large Cafe / Brain Bag combo.

If I lucky, I' ll have time to grab a drink and a snack for the flight.

Any suggestion for a sturdy plastic barrette or a way to twist a cloth holder so that very fine hair doesn't wiggle out of it.

Have you ever tried a beaded hair barrette? some have a felt or skinned backing that might grip your hair. here's one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEADED-HAIR-PIEC...3A1%7C294%3A50

sorry for the long link

Quote Originally Posted by reina View Post
    Have you ever tried a beaded hair barrette? some have a felt or skinned backing that might grip your hair. here's one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEADED-HAIR-PIEC...3A1%7C294%3A50

sorry for the long link
    Thanks for the link and the suggestion.

The barrette is a beautiful piece of art but my hair would slide right out.

Have you tried wooden hairsticks? I have really long hair and that's what I use. If I don't use hairsticks, I use Goody's ponytail holders, which have no metal.

There's a forum called the Long Hair Community where you might be able to find tips for controlling your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    Have you tried wooden hairsticks? I have really long hair and that's what I use. If I don't use hairsticks, I use Goody's ponytail holders, which have no metal.

There's a forum called the Long Hair Community where you might be able to find tips for controlling your hair.
    Thanks for the info about the hair forum Jenne! I went there already and I am reading the posts in between doing other stuff.

The wooden hairsticks are terrific to play with, while doing Japanese inspired hairstyles.
    However, they only last if I stand still or move slowly not when I dash in and out of airports, train, metro or bus stations.

I also have plenty of Goody ponytail holders in many size but they slide out.

Do you know of any plastic bodied barrettes available? (decoration is usually plastic anyhow)

I have two, actually, and I believe I purchased them at Target or Walgreens. I don't remember if they were Goody brand or Scunchi (sp?) The barrettes are hinged on one end and teeth on the barrette section. I've seen the colored plastic ones for kids, but these were for adults.

I wonder if a mostly plastic one with a thin wire fastener might work? I've seen those at department stores (Marshall Fields prior to Macy's and Nordstrom).
    Imago in cocoa/cocoa/wasabi, Medium Cafe Bag in plum/wasabi, Swift in cork, steel stuff sack, steel pen/pencil pouch, plum clear organizer wallet, small cork pouch and steel/cork/wasabi Imago

Quote Originally Posted by cancoi View Post
    I have two, actually, and I believe I purchased them at Target or Walgreens. I don't remember if they were Goody brand or Scunchi (sp?) The barrettes are hinged on one end and teeth on the barrette section. I've seen the colored plastic ones for kids, but these were for adults.

I wonder if a mostly plastic one with a thin wire fastener might work? I've seen those at department stores (Marshall Fields prior to Macy's and Nordstrom).

I went to Goody's website and they have a rubber barrette called the Updo Barrette, they also have flexible but secure headband.

Both are available in black, so I think I found my airport-proof hair accessories and I will be able to go in and out of security in style.

Thanks cancoi, your help has been invaluable

Next time I'll go to the grocery store, I'll check if they have it, if not there is one big chain drug stores right across the street on Goddy's retailer's list.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-05-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

However, I always need to remove the barrette at security resulting in a big
    fluff of hair that is impossible to really fix while running to the gate

have you tried setting your alarm clock 5 minutes earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by puddin View Post
    have you tried setting your alarm clock 5 minutes earlier?
    That's not the issue. No matter how early I arrive at the airport, I need to remove my metal barrette at security.

Even if I can take my time walking to the gate area, have the time for freshening up then pick up a snack for the flight.
    The problem is still the same, I want to find a way to tame my long hair so that it doesn't get pulled when I take the Brain Bag in and out of my shoulders before and after security.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-09-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I went to Goody's website and they have a rubber barrette called the Updo Barrette, they also have flexible but secure headband.

Both are available in black, so I think I found my airport-proof hair accessories and I will be able to go in and out of security in style.

Thanks cancoi, your help has been invaluable

Next time I'll go to the grocery store, I'll check if they have it, if not there is one big chain drug stores right across the street on Goddy's retailer's list.
    Hope this helped, backpack. Happy travels!
    Imago in cocoa/cocoa/wasabi, Medium Cafe Bag in plum/wasabi, Swift in cork, steel stuff sack, steel pen/pencil pouch, plum clear organizer wallet, small cork pouch and steel/cork/wasabi Imago

I checked local retailers listed on Goody's website and no luck yet.

I also checked online beauty website and they do not have the updo barrette.

I don't get that, it is the perfect airport proof barrette, I don't know why they
    are not widely distributed.

I have the same problem and same type of hair, in fact only the French metal barrettes will stay in, all the other metal ones slip out. When I travel, though, I just use Goody or scünci clear poly bands. They are synthetic, but act like rubber bands. I put that on tightly and then wrap a scrunchy-type fabric holder around that. It's easier on the plane, anyway, as the metal ones jab me if I try to fall asleep. I have a mini-hairbrush and I carry extra bands around the handle of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seesul View Post
    I have the same problem and same type of hair, in fact only the French metal barrettes will stay in, all the other metal ones slip out. When I travel, though, I just use Goody or scünci clear poly bands. They are synthetic, but act like rubber bands. I put that on tightly and then wrap a scrunchy-type fabric holder around that. It's easier on the plane, anyway, as the metal ones jab me if I try to fall asleep. I have a mini-hairbrush and I carry extra bands around the handle of that.
    Thanks Seesul

I saw the clear poly bands at a store but was afraid of buying one more stuff that would not work.

Did you happen to see the new Goody Updo Barrette (from their Ouchless line) in a store in your neck of the woods?

I haven't had a chance to check out the updo barrette since reading this post, but I will look around for it, and if I find it, will let you know. The poly bands come in different sizes. i have found the opaque ones break easily. I go for the clear or glittered ones. I always carry a full pack when traveling because they work for other things as well, like sealing plastic bags.

Backpack: I think both Scunci and Goody make non-slip elastics these days. Think of a fabric elastic with a grippy ribbon in it. They make them in different sizes and colors. You may need a child's size which may only come in pink and purple...but it's worth a look.

I usually french braid my hair and use a poly band at the bottom. I finally (!) learned to braid at the age of 33 from a book I found at the Long Hair Community. If you don't know how to braid I can highly recommend it: um, well after a short google I can't recommend it because I can't find it.

Anyhow, I'll dig farther if you're interested and want to know.

A braid will prevent friction tangles from your clothes or the seat back combined with dry/staticy air. The poly band is totally security friendly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0