Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bagchick View Post
    Backpack: I think both Scunci and Goody make non-slip elastics these days. Think of a fabric elastic with a grippy ribbon in it. They make them in different sizes and colors. You may need a child's size which may only come in pink and purple...but it's worth a look.

I usually french braid my hair and use a poly band at the bottom. I finally (!) learned to braid at the age of 33 from a book I found at the Long Hair Community. If you don't know how to braid I can highly recommend it: um, well after a short google I can't recommend it because I can't find it.

Anyhow, I'll dig farther if you're interested and want to know.

A braid will prevent friction tangles from your clothes or the seat back combined with dry/staticy air. The poly band is totally security friendly.

While reading this forum, a couple of days ago, I found myself braiding my hair without thinking.
    I said to myself: "That's one way to remedy the problem".

A question do you keep you braid down? And if you do does it become uneven on one side of the head etc...

I will try the purple or pink (favorite colors by the way) fabric elastic with grippy ribbon. Thank you for the tip

By the way: I loove the Long Hair Community Forum, fellow TB forum member Jenne mentioned it in that thread. It is a great resource

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I'd be really interested in the braiding book! I've never been able to braid my hair. Too thick.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I'd be really interested in the braiding book! I've never been able to braid my hair. Too thick.
    No such thing as hair too thick to braid! I'm of mostly african descent and I braid my (unstraightened) hair all the time. Your hair does need to be fairly long to braid in a single braid if it's thick, though, and I can only do it while my hair is still wet. My hair is somewhere around bottom of shoulder blade length, but I was able to do a single braid when it was a few inches shorter.

I usually do my hair in pigtails though, as in, two braids with the part down the middle of my head. Makes me look sixteen but I don't care (yet? I'm 22 right now). Keeps my hair out of trouble! I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't know how to braid. I learned when I was five from my best friend at the time. =)

Quote Originally Posted by timarelay View Post
    No such thing as hair too thick to braid! I'm of mostly african descent and I braid my (unstraightened) hair all the time.
    Ok, maybe it's just my lack of braiding skills then, hehe! I can type well over 100mph with two fingers but I can't braid my hair. Oh well.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

It takes practice. I used to be great at doing a French braid on my hair when it was long. (It's short now!) But it took some practice to learn to do it quickly and look nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Braid-Your-Hai.../dp/0972517006

It's showing as unavailable at amazon. I bought it directly from the author:
    http://www.braidedimage.com/Site/Learn_To_Braid.html

I can't recommend it enough. I was a total klutz and incapable of braiding before I got the book. I also got the DVD. It wasn't helpful beyond the book. Just get "Braid your own hair" the book and you'll learn.

Thanks, bagchick!!

I agree ...

Thanks bagchick! I checked out the site you linked to and bought the Braid Your Own Hair book as a 30th birthday present for myself. I can't wait until it arrives.

Typically I use titanium hairsticks, but I've been dying to learn how to french braid my own hair.
    Loving life with my Imago.

I finally found an updo barrette at a big chain store.

I bought the last of the rack, by chance, it is silver. The barrette is made of hard and soft plastic. It is very comfortable and I have used it almost all the time since I bought it, no pulling at the hair.

It is quite wide and people with fine hair, like myself, have to use it to hold a bun, people with medium thick hair can use it as a ponytail holder and people with very thick and/or wavy hair can only do a half ponytail with it.

I hope Goody is going to make a kid sized one, half the size.

I also bought clear poly bands after Seesul shared her experience and grippy elastics (and headbands) upon Bagchick advice.

I made a bun with the barrette and went on doing laundry, computer, putting away stuff... It was fine and held.
    Then used it for my dance workout when... it slid after the second music piece.

Which means it has a very good chance of sliding going through the trip to the airport, going through security, getting to the food counter, ordering something to go and walking to the gate or run to the gate at a mad pace because security was slow.

I will use a combo of barrette, poly and grippy bands to hold a braid and try the workout again.

Update on the previous post

After using the gray Updo Barette for a while, I discovered that the color faded rather quickly.
    By that time, my local grocery store chain was carrying that same plastic barette in black, I bought one and still experimented with the gray one.

After a while, I bought a second black Updo Barette and a few days before my recent trip, removed them from their packages and started to experiment with 2 Updo Barettes.

While my hair is still wet, I use one which clips the hair on the top of my head and close to the temple, I use the other to clip all the hair.

When my hair is dry, I clip all the hair with one, make a bun and use the second barette to secure the bun. A knit hairband open at both end is used to wrap the whole bundle securely.

Both methods allow me to put my Brain Bag on, outside the service shuttle, walk to security, get my shoes, Brain Bag and Large Cafe Bag off at the security checkpoint, get them back on after the checkpoint, get to the gate (remove my Brain Bag and leave it with my husband) then stand in line at the food court, give his snack bag to my husband and relax until it is time to put my Brain Bag back on, to stand in line for boarding.

I board, find my seat, remove my Brain Bag and put it in the overhead bin, remove my Cafe Bag.
    Then I sit down, turn off the phone, remove my Updo Barettes and headband bun holder, place them inside the Cafe Bag which get stowed under my seat.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-10-2009 at 08:56 AM.

I know it is an old thread but it might be useful to someone :)

I know use an Updo Barette in all my trips, it has even replaced my trusty
    French barettes most of the time.

Unlike French barettes they do not pull on the hair, so I can keep some volume on top and get a lovely wave when I remove my updo bun.

Small Updo Barette in cute girly colors are now also available.

As you can see, I am really happy and it has made my airport trips much more enjoyable.

While hunting for them, I did find grippy elastic hairbands, headbands in fabric or knitted in all my favorite colors. They were bought along the groceries.

I now have hair accessories matching the colors of my Tom Bihn Bags.

Very handy for stretching a travel wardrobe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0