Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

What songs is Elton John known for, apart from Candle in the Wind?

Anything good? I like Candle in the Wind, it's very nice, but some of his other popular songs on youtube are crap.

Your joking right?
    Sad Songs (Say So Much); Pinball Wizard; Crocodile Rock; Can You Feel the Love Tonight; That's What Friends Are For; Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting; Rocket Man; Bennie and the Jets; Goodbye yellow brick road; Daniel; Don't let the sun go down on me.

That's just a few off the top of my head.
    Last edited by MikeL; 10-19-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Plus, the classics Tiny Dancer and Your Song.

I'm still standing ...... Yeah yeah yeah

Go to iTunes Music Store and look up Elton John. You can hear plenty of samples there. Here's a link to Amazon so you can check out one of his greatest hits compilation albums.

Also, check out his Wikipedia article.

Elton John is special, not just because of his long and wildly successful career, but because he's crossed over to so many genres: pop, classic rock, love ballads, and even a brief foray into disco.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

"Your Song" is what brought him to attention in the US, and I'd say "Bennie and the Jets" is what really put him over and set him solidly on his way.

I think MikeL may have been slightly mistaken by attributing certain songs to Elton John; "Pinball Wizzard" was from The Who (1969), another British act that hit it big in the 1970's. While Elton John was involved in "That's What Friends Are For", this 1985 AIDS charity song was credited to Dionne and Friends (Dionne Warwick, Elton John, Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder).
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Although Elton John did do a remake of Pinball Wizard, which might be more well known than the original for people of a younger generation. My first album of EJ's was Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I remember my aunt asking me what I wanted for my birthday - I was about 13, and I told her I wanted that album. I didn't mention that it was a double album, which at the time cost twice as much (about 14.99 if I remember correctly). She said I tried to deceive her into buying me an expensive gift, which maybe I did, in a 13 year old way. Every song on that album is meaningful to me.

Elton John was my first concert (not counting Bobby Sherman which I went to with my mother when I was 10). I was 16 and went to Madison Square Garden on the train with my friends. We were in the top row! I couldn't even see the stage. That was the year "Phildelphia Freedom" came out, and Kiki Dee was there on stage to sing it with him.

OK, am I showing my age yet? I am getting quite amused by this thread! It is like saying, "Does that old band called the Beatles have any good songs?"

I remember going to see EJ in concert several years ago. It was just him and a piano on stage for what seemed like three hours. It was remarkable.

I can easily dismiss that "showing my age" sensitivity because I saw a broad variety of age groups evident at that concert.

The only thing that marred the concert were the demonstrators shouting into loudspeakers outside after the concert. They were saying nasty things about EJ, like he was evil, that kind of thing. I guess it was a religious organization who disapproved of EJ's openly gay status. I remember thinking how pathetic it was; it wasn't like he's the only gay guy on the planet or anything like that.

For those familiar with Classic Rock radio format, Alice Cooper occasionally has fun with an obscure '70's EJ song that never got any airplay: "All the Girls Love Alice" on his "Nights With Alice Cooper" music show. The song is obviously about a lesbian underground. Cooper typically takes credit for "outing" EJ. It's a hoot.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0