Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Leopard on Powerbook G4

Since a few forum users seem to have Macs (including Tom himself), I thought I'd ask this question here.

I have a 12" Powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz with 1.25 GB of ram that I love and use more or less as my main computer (despite having a 24" iMac as well). Never had a problem with it, and have recently installed new hard drive and new ram. No, I don't want to sell it. All I want to know is if someone has installed Leopard in a machine like that and whether they had any trouble. Did it hurt performance? Just curious...

I would, of course, create a mirror of my hard drive in an external hard drive and then do a clean install...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

I have the same PB12/1.33GHz/1.25GB, with a 100GB 5400RPM Seagate drive I installed about 2 yrs ago. I put Leopard on this PB and it runs fine. Leopard didn't hurt performance at all. I would say that speed and performance haven't been improved or degraded -- I just have access to the GUI and feature improvements of Leopard. Well worth the upgrade IMO.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by peregrina View Post
    Since a few forum users seem to have Macs (including Tom himself), I thought I'd ask this question here.

I have a 12" Powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz with 1.25 GB of ram that I love and use more or less as my main computer (despite having a 24" iMac as well). Never had a problem with it, and have recently installed new hard drive and new ram. No, I don't want to sell it. All I want to know is if someone has installed Leopard in a machine like that and whether they had any trouble. Did it hurt performance? Just curious...

I would, of course, create a mirror of my hard drive in an external hard drive and then do a clean install...

Thumbs up

Hi JJ,

Mine has a 100GB 7400 RPM, which I installed about six months ago. Anyway, I took the plunge this sunday and did the upgrade (a clean install, actually). No issues yet.

I love this computer. It's very unfortunate that Apple decided to scrap the 12" model ...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Wow, a 7400RPM drive? That's 200RPM faster than any of the 7200RPM drives I've got in our newer Macs. I'm jealous. Who do you know on the inside?

I think the PB12 is Apple's best laptop form factor yet except for the keyboard -- it's excellent, but the MacBook keyboard (also used on the current Apple Keyboard and Apple Wireless Keyboard) is, in my opinion, better. There have been rumors that the next makeover to the MacBook line will finally marry the PB's aluminum case with the MB's keyboard, but I'll believe/buy it when I see it.

(Yes, I know the MacBook Air already has an aluminum case and a MB keyboard. I just feel it has too many limitations to qualify as a PB/MB equivalent. It's more of a netbook that a notebook.)

oops, of course I meant 7200 RPM...

I agree on the keyboard of the macbooks. We bought a 24" iMac about a month before the new silver iMacs came out and although we were perfectly happy with our white model (I actually prefer the matte screen), we had to buy the new keyboard after trying it for 5 mins at the store.

I'd be perfectly happy with a macbook in the silver casing... The MacBook Air is cool but it really is simply a netbook. I was kind of disappointed, actually.

I'm typing on the wireless version of the new aluminum keyboard and it is just brilliant. Best KB I've ever used, and I've paid silly money for high-end KBs in the past. I have the wired version as well, for the kids' Mac. I should buy a bunch of these now, before Apple changes the keys to black like they did on the Air. I like the white keys.

The thing about the MBAir is it's super cool and very nice to use, but for that kind of money I'd rather have a maxed-out MacBook that can do anything you throw at it. I'm actually considering getting the new MSI Wind once it begins shipping, as people are reporting success running Leopard on it. At $5-600, that's a tiny, lightweight OSX netbook that makes sense to me.

Just have to decide which Bihn bag will fit the Wind..

Looks like I've made another conversion - my brother is looking at macs . He is on the market for a new computer and asked me why I have a mac and I explained all the advantages. He was still under the impression that Macs and PCs were completely incompatible and that you couldn't use Word or Excel on a Mac. After reading more about it, he went to the store to check them out and play with Leopard. He said that when he came home, his Windows machine felt clunky and boring.

Now the question is not so much whether to buy a Mac but which Mac? He was all set to get a laptop but has now fallen in love for the iMac. I'm happy because I'll finally be able to have a proper iChat to iChat videoconference with my family!

I have a tip for you: if you like using iChat for audio or video chat, try Skype. I think the video quality is even better, and it's cross platform so you aren't limited to just Mac users as you are with iChat. Plus you can use Skype to call landline phones for pennies a minute. Setting up a Skype account is free and Skype-to-Skype calls and video chat is free as well -- I never use iChat for video chat anymore.

But I do use it for this: http://allforces.com/2007/11/06/back-to-my-mac-through-ichat/. One of the most amazing things you can do with a Mac.

I do use skype all the time as my family lives in Brazil and I'm in Canada and have friends all over the world. The price and the quality of the calls are amazing. I have to confess that I haven't tried the video chat lately - its earlier versions for mac weren't the best but maybe things have changed. Thanks for the tip, I'll try again.

If you haven't tried Skype video chat in awhile, do yourself a favor and try it after downloading the latest Skype for OSX.

My MacBook's internal iSight webcam works flawlessly with Skype video, and as I recall, my Powerbook worked just as well with Skype video using an external FireWire iSight.

iChat AV is a great program and I still use it all the time for logging into my home Mac remotely, but I get better video and audio quality using Skype.

Hi Jon,

I guess out prayers were answered - the new mac book in a silver casing came out! Sigh, can't afford it at the moment but spent quite a while at the apple store trying it out....

The only think I don't like in the new line of apple computers is the glossy screen.

Quote Originally Posted by peregrina View Post
    Hi Jon,

I guess out prayers were answered - the new mac book in a silver casing came out! Sigh, can't afford it at the moment but spent quite a while at the apple store trying it out....

The only think I don't like in the new line of apple computers is the glossy screen.
    I took the new aluminum MacBook for a spin and I prefer my white Santa Rosa MB to be honest. The glossy screen I've come to accept and even appreciate after having lived with my 2.2GHz MB for awhile. But black keys on a silver laptop? Fail. I think it's a terrible look, and that black keyboard (like the one on the all-black MB) gets greasy and shiny from your fingers' oil really quickly, making it look scuzzy. Many aren't bothered by this, but for me it's a deal breaker. Ironically, the all-white MBs stay looking clean unless you're an above-average slob, while the black MBs look greasy and scuzzy 5 mins after you start using them.

Other than that, I think the new MB design rocks. The aluminum uni-body construction certainly bodes well for longevity, though we'll see how this first batch holds up with early adopters aka beta testers. If Apple offered silver keyboards to match the body, I would've traded my white MB in on one. I'd even take one if they offered white keys, like the current Apple Aluminum Keyboard which I'm typing on as we speak. But the black keyboard, and the loss of FW, and the extra 1/2 lb., quite frankly, have me loving my white MB and hoping it will last me for a few more years than I expected to still be using it. By far, the best laptop I've ever owned, and I chose it over a last-gen MBP and would do so again today.

I like the silver keys on the old 12".
    Proud owner of; Ego (first run) in Black/Steel/Deep Blue; medium organizer pouches in cayenne and crimson; small organizer pouches in olive, pink and storm blue; mini organizer pouch in sapphire; quarter packing cube; ego strips in crimson, plum, blue glitter and sapphire.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0