Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

A guy rides a Segway from Seattle to Bawstun @ 10MPH

You have to see this indie film about some people who got together and made the 4000mi trek from Seattle to Boston the home of the Segway all at max speed of 10MPH.

http://www.stage6.com/10-MPH

What a trip...in more ways then one...loved that the blew off AmeriCorps (I did the same thing) to go out and actually live beyond the cubicle.

Segways are grossly overrated and dangerous machines for both riders and
    pedestrians. Many cities have banned Segways from their sidewalks and
    streets. IMHO, Segways are a prime example of a product that has little
    or no viable functionality in our society.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

I agree that Segways themselves are kinda pointless. I was at the mall near work a few weeks ago and we saw the security dudes come riding up on Segways. It was hilarious. They were acting so overly important. There were two of them just to tell the old Japanese guy who owns the sushi shop that he couldn't set a case of water outside on the sidewalk while he parked his car.

Anyway, I digress. IIRC Segways are actually a bi-product of a great idea. The guy was working on a wheeled chair that could go up stairs on its own and balance at a height where the person in the chair would be about eye level, but, since it would have to be approved by the FDA (I think) he needed more money so he took the tech and made the Segway to help support his real project.

Intresting tid bit there. Thanks! FDA causing trouble again I see

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    I agree that Segways themselves are kinda pointless. I was at the mall near work a few weeks ago and we saw the security dudes come riding up on Segways. It was hilarious. They were acting so overly important. There were two of them just to tell the old Japanese guy who owns the sushi shop that he couldn't set a case of water outside on the sidewalk while he parked his car.

Anyway, I digress. IIRC Segways are actually a bi-product of a great idea. The guy was working on a wheeled chair that could go up stairs on its own and balance at a height where the person in the chair would be about eye level, but, since it would have to be approved by the FDA (I think) he needed more money so he took the tech and made the Segway to help support his real project.