Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By Orangeboys
  • 1 Post By KatrinkaWinkle
  • 3 Post By Orangeboys
  • 1 Post By meekasmom
  • 2 Post By adalangdon

Thread: Shorten Strap?

Shorten Strap?

I love love love my new Bihn bags, but I have a question for you clever folks...

For briefcase-type bags, I like my straps short, so the bag is against my side, not down on my hip. But on both the standard and simple straps, there is a limit to how short you can adjust the strap without pushing the shoulder pad off center.

Other than forgoing the pad, any ideas to get the pad to the other side of the adjuster (tri-glide?) buckle? Or some other way to shorten the strap?

Thanks.

I looked at the Simple Shoulder Strap. I do not see an easy way to move the pad past the tri-glide without essentially taking the strap apart or perhaps permanently deforming the built-in pad in an attempt to get it past the tri-glide.

One suggestion would be to use something like the Stapeez Velcro fasteners. Pull the webbing through the first bar of the tri-glide but not the second bar. This leaves a loop that you can double back onto the webbing. Use the Velcro fasteners to keep the webbing flush. Note - thread the Velcro between the loop of the doubled back webbing to make sure the webbing does not slip under weight. You can do other variations too - the concept being to fold excess webbing back on itself and use the Velcro to keep it in place.

Alternately, I would just cut the built in strap off and use something like the Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap ($12):

Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap - Thick, comfortable strap wrap for our Cafe bags - TOM BIHN

Hope this help

Cheers!

Edit - here are a few pictures to illustrate my one suggestion. No tools or squeezing buckles past things. Just need some Velcro strips (or any other idea you have to tie the webbing together - like twist ties or even a large paper clip) that you can easily get at a Office Supply or Hardware store:

Here is the webbing pulled through the first tri-glide bar but not the second bar:

Name:  Short Strap - Reconfig.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  249.3 KB

Here is the final results with a closeup of using the Velcro strip to keep things together:

Name:  Short Strap - Final.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  230.2 KBName:  Short Strap - Closeup.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  270.8 KB

Hope this is short enough for your needs!

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 11-08-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeboys View Post
    I love love love my new Bihn bags, but I have a question for you clever folks...

For briefcase-type bags, I like my straps short, so the bag is against my side, not down on my hip. *But on both the standard and simple straps, there is a limit to how short you can adjust the strap without pushing the shoulder pad off center. *

Other than forgoing the pad, any ideas to get the pad to the other side of the adjuster (tri-glide?) buckle? *Or some other way to shorten the strap?

Thanks.
    @Orangeboys. There's a way to work the pad of the standard strap so that you can pass the buckle through it and shorten the strap more. It's described in my post near the end of @Perseffect's Small Cafe Bag for a 5 year old girl? thread. The Standard strap is stiff enough that it's a pain to do, but you only have to do this once if you permanently want the strap shorter with the pad centered. (It's even more of a pain to undo if you're using a stiff strap, but it's possible). The alternative is to just cut the pad off and replace it with an Ultrasuede Strap Wrap.

HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-08-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    One suggestion would be to use something like the Stapeez Velcro fasteners. ...
    Alternately, I would just cut the built in strap off and use something like the Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap ($12):
    Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap - Thick, comfortable strap wrap for our Cafe bags - TOM BIHN
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Orangeboys. There's a way to work the pad of the standard strap so that you can pass the buckle through it and shorten the strap more. It's described in my post near the end of @Perseffect's Small Cafe Bag for a 5 year old girl? thread. HTH moriond
    @tpnl, @moriond, Thank you both so much. I'm going to go play with straps... And oh, darn, if I need to order an ultrasuade wrap, that means I will have to add a few things to the order to make it worth the shipping!

Thank you!
    tpnl and luvdabags like this.

@ Orangeboys, not a perfect solution, but I slide the built-in shoulder pad down to the bottom of the strap rather than cutting it off (in case I ever decide to destash the bag), adjust the length to where I want it, and then use the Ultrasuede shoulder wrap. I'm barely 5'2" with a short torso to boot, but I find I can make the straps short enough using this method.
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic Cocoa d-Black/Solar d-Nordic/Solar
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa d-Nordic/Solar d-Black/Solar

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinkaWinkle View Post
    @ Orangeboys, not a perfect solution, but I slide the built-in shoulder pad down to the bottom of the strap rather than cutting it off (in case I ever decide to destash the bag), adjust the length to where I want it, and then use the Ultrasuede shoulder wrap. I'm barely 5'2" with a short torso to boot, but I find I can make the straps short enough using this method.
    Thank you @KatrinkaWinkle. I knew I would get great ideas from the forum.

So... Results so far...

Sliding the pad over the tri-slide worked beautifully for my MCB, but I had no luck with the stiffer Simple Strap. I guess I will be forced to place an order for the ultrasuede shoulder strap (and whatever other goodies make it worth the shipping)... Thanks for all the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Edit - here are a few pictures to illustrate my one suggestion. No tools or squeezing buckles past things. Just need some Velcro strips (or any other idea you have to tie the webbing together - like twist ties or even a large paper clip) that you can easily get at a Office Supply or Hardware store:
    @tpnl thank you for the pictures, now I get it. Tidier than I could conjure up in my head. Thanks! Guess this means I don't need to put an order in...

I guess I will be forced to place an order for the ultrasuede shoulder strap (and whatever other goodies make it worth the shipping)... Thanks for all the ideas.
    So I ordered the ultra suede strap cover and some strapeez, and guess what followed them home? Yes, a Black Dyneema/Iberian SE and a French Blue SCB.

Name:  SCB1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  102.4 KB

And for anyone still wondering about French Blue/Olive? It's delicious.

Name:  SCB2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  97.9 KB

op tech strap is the answer: OP/TECH USA S.O.S. Strap
    Last edited by meekasmom; 11-13-2014 at 04:32 PM.

And for anyone still wondering about French Blue/Olive? It's delicious.
    That is the most retro colour combo I've seen on a TB bag. Love it!
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2