Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Melissa
  • 1 Post By GoStanford
  • 4 Post By flitcraft
  • 1 Post By Abby

Thread: ...get stains out of Dyneema?

...get stains out of Dyneema?

I took my almost-brand-new S25 (2 months old) grocery shopping and apparently something leaked, because there is now a big, yucky grease stain on the inside. The lining is wasabi Dyneema, and now the white lines are sort of gone. It's on the inside of the bag only, so I guess I shouldn't be upset, but...

Dish soap and water haven't worked, nor have baby wipes, which are surprisingly effective on many things. Any other ideas?

I had a bottle of Argan oil leak in one of mine. I was able to get it spotless with Dawn dish soap (best dish soap to break up grease) and OxyClean stain remover. I washed by hand in hot water and hung outside to dry.
    Last edited by Melissa; 08-31-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

This is a perfectly timed thread. I have a stain on the gray material covering the inner pocket hems of my copilot - my tinted lip balm fell and marked it.

I will try Dawn at home. @Abby I hope yours comes out. I know that sense of disappointment at a new bag getting its first ding.

Greasy stains (and ballpoint pen, for that matter) can be taken care of with Goop. It's a very mild but effective grease cutter designed to be a hand soap for folks that break engines down and get their hands very, very dirty and greasy. You rub it into the stained area--no water first--and vigorously massage it into the fabric. Then wash as usual--hand wash if it's a Tom Bihn bag, or machine wash for run of the mill items. It almost always works, and if it doesn't, it's never harmed anything I've used it on. (I used it on a ballistic WF that I had to check on the way back from someplace, and the airline hold left it with several black greasy marks. Came out looking good as new.)

You can get Goop at an auto parts store, and nowadays at many grocery stores and drug stores. I always keep a tub or tube of it around our laundry room.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Thanks, everyone! I tried a few kinds of dish soap (we don't have Dawn in my neck of the woods, alas) but I have a friend traveling to the US soon who's agreed to haul a tube of Goop for me. I'll report back when I have a report to, uh, report.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0