Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Auntie Em
  • 1 Post By Dandelion

Thread: Best way to pack workout shoes in Tri-Star?

Best way to pack workout shoes in Tri-Star?

Hello,

I just received my blue Tri-Star. In preparation for its baptism on a trip to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks, I did a test pack last night. Everything looks great, except for fitting in the workout shoes. It's not that they don't fit, but when I put them in the small front section it bulges to the point where the curved zipper pocket on the front is essentially useless.

Being the newbie that I am, I was wondering if anyone had any tried and true methods for packing tennis shoes. Specifically mine are size 10.5 Nike Pegasus running shoes. Again there is enough room, but it just doesn't look pretty and as I stated, renders other features of the bag unusable.

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

I do exactly what you did and just live with it.

There is no other place that I have found that allows for the shoes and leaves the right space for the rest of my cubes and folders so the shoes take that same spot and the bottle pocket cries.

No water bottle pocket joy for me either. The wide base (for motion control) runners I have are too wide to also allow water bottle use. I would suggest trying to reduce the content in the centre compartment so the shoes can expand there instead of the bottle compartment leaving some leeway to put the water bottle. You could also use the backpack strap pocket to hold your water bottle.

I just got a Western Flyer and the division in it is exactly half way - so more leeway. Also, each compartment is 3" thick as opposed to about 2.5" in the TS so there is more room to hold bulky items. I can use the bottle pocket there - though still tight.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-14-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I would suggest trying to reduce the content in the centre compartment so the shoes can expand there instead of the bottle compartment leaving some leeway to put the water bottle.
    What tpni said! I can't fit my tennis shoes in the front pocket at all, so usually end up wearing them on the plane.
    tpnl likes this.

Thank you for the replies. I guess it is what it is. I'm a little disappointed however; I guess after reading all the reviews I was expecting a "cleaner" pack. Other than this I like everything about the bag. However it's possible that the Tri-Star will not be the best bag for my needs, as I typically have some other somewhat bulky items/equipment that I need to somehow fit into the middle section (measuring wheel, camera, and laptop if I choose to take). So with workout shoes I'm not sure this setup is going to "flow" well enough for me at the airport.

Thanks again to all!

I agree that the Tri-Star is best with longer, thin items.

I had one thought - whatever shoe dimension is thinnest, pack you shoe so that thinnest part is oriented to the thinnest part of the bag.
    I tried this - the top to bottom of my shoes are 4.25" but the widest part of my sole is 5". So by packing my shoes such that the soles are flat against the middle/front compartment wall and positioned the reverse of each other allowed me to use the front pocket for a regular sized water bottle. I will see if I can take a picture of what I mean as it is hard to describe.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

rtb
    I don't use the zipper divider anymore and reverse the position of the one-third cube and two-third cube. That places the shoes on the 'bottom' of the Tri-Star when it's in backpack mode, and it still allows me to use all of the front pockets. The shoe position that 'tpnl' describes works as well.

I pack my shoes on the same side of my WF but not together. More like space fillers. Some people use them like packing cubes too.. putting socks or other items inside. No wasted space.
    tpnl likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0