Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree54Likes
  • 4 Post By celtical
  • 1 Post By terayon
  • 2 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By kkintea
  • 5 Post By Hawaii
  • 15 Post By Ineffable
  • 2 Post By Auntie Em
  • 6 Post By GoStanford
  • 12 Post By Hawaii
  • 2 Post By meekasmom
  • 1 Post By Janine
  • 3 Post By haraya

Thread: Shop bag for air travel

Shop bag for air travel

Recent threads got me thinking about a couple of upcoming domestic flights, mostly pleasure, on which I've been looking forward to carrying my maiden TB purchase, a STD/UV S19! However, the prospect of virgin straps (or the handling side with zippers!) swiping up underseat grunge is sobering to the point that plastic bags and bathroom towels danced in my head.

I looked for another option, grieved loss of steel d, tried to warm up to the wasabi lined co-pilot, chanted for an aub/st co/pilot... And then looked up and saw my large steel SB! The S19 seems to fit into it beautifully, and I got to thinking that it would be easy and inconspicuous to simply carry it inside, riding along on my little purple roller with a bungee through the airport.

Able to add items around it, perhaps clip loosely with a binder clip or two, fold it up (inside out) for stashing in pack or roller when not needed. Then back at home, give it a good wash.

I'm pretty new in these parts, so am guessing this is an old idea that's been tried. Am I missing anything here?
    Last edited by celtical; 08-07-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Quote Originally Posted by celtical View Post
    Recent threads got me thinking about a couple of upcoming domestic flights, mostly pleasure, on which I've been looking forward to carrying my maiden TB purchase, a STD/UV S19! However, the prospect of virgin straps (or the handling side with zippers!) swiping up underseat grunge is sobering to the point that plastic bags and bathroom towels danced in my head.
    That acronym has got to go...

As for using a large Shop Bag, I think it would be fine. Your only issues with it are going to be that it can be a lot taller than the under seat storage space, depending obviously on what you put into it. So if you don't over fill it (vertically), it should slide in and out without a problem. If you do put something big in it, you would have to lay it down, and because it's just wide open on top, you stuff might fall out/roll out.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I'm in the airport today with the small shop bag, but I've used the large as personal item before. I usually pack my little swift inside, which is not as tall as the S19.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Grey DLBC * Wishlist: New 400d Color

I have traveled with my CP stuffed into a shop bag. I just carried it through security that way, with my 311 bag loose in the bag for easy access.Also, a bag containing some snacks and reading glasses. I did not actually secure the bag closed which made it easier for me to grab things in/ out. In my case, the CP kept the shop bag standing upright. I have a picture somewhere of it under the seat in the airplane...

Yes, thanks for the upright thought, Itsablur, I envision it lying sideways open to me under the seat, so able to access the top zippers of the reclining S19 and use the handles to pull it out.

And I'm open to abandoning the acronym or allowing it to be elevated by its better use here...
    Last edited by celtical; 08-07-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    That acronym has got to go...
    I don't know it's growing on me... I'm finding it a bit... infectious......
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

I've also used a large shop bag as my personal item - obviously not stuffed full. I didn't bother to secure the top, but did put everything inside in some packing cubes and clipped them in when possible. No problems with anything falling out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
    I don't know it's growing on me... I'm finding it a bit... infectious......
    Well, also in the running for improvable acronym is ASS. Hee hee!

Ok here is iPhone pic of Nordic SS (I think small?) and WF on United 777 first class to Hawaii.

Name:  Tbplane.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  103.1 KB

Hawaii,
    You went first class to Hawaii?!
    way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by celtical View Post
    I'm pretty new in these parts, so am guessing this is an old idea that's been tried. Am I missing anything here?
    We just flew from Cincinnati to Denver and back again. I used a Large Shop Bag as a carry-on for the away flight, and tried hooking it over the handle of a rolling bag. It was suboptimal. The SB straps are long enough to wear comfortably over your shoulder and that, unfortunately, makes the bag hang low and awkwardly over a luggage handle.

I was hucking a carseat and a toddler and a backpack and a shoulder bag, so my experience might not be typical. Your best bet will be to try test packing your bags and walking around your house a bit. If you can imagine yourself sprinting down the terminal with these bags without wiping out, then you are probably okay!

Lucky you for scoring one of the mythical Steel Dyneema/UV S19s! I always find out about the best combos AFTER they are gone from the website. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it clean!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I am loving my SB's for travel - we've been on the move for a week. I use my SA as my carry-on, and put my SCB and LSB (turned inside-out) in my SSB to go thru security and the gate. Once on board, I put the SA in the now-right side out LSB (slides under the seat more easily). It's slightly fussy, but I'd rather avoid spills and gunk on the SA.

When we get to our destination, my walking-around combo is the SSB and SCB. My big camera goes into a tethered TSS in the SSB until we're at the actual sight to see, then it's easy to pull out when I want to take pictures. (And my water bottle is kept separate from my camera and journal.) The SCB keeps my valuables in front of me at all times. For beach/pool situations, the LSB is an ideal bag - sand- and waterproof! On this trip I've also used it to carry kids' car seats (BubbleBums) to and from the taxi to the airport, or for groceries. So light and easy to take along anywhere!
    Last edited by haraya; 08-09-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0