Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Ride along Synapse

Prepping for my first fly-away trip with S19 and a small roll aboard bag to a accommodate my current weight-bearing limitations. I did a trial trip with these two pieces, both of which I love! SteelD/UV S19 riding atop Purple Lipault 22 4wheel, a lovely vision that needs a bit of work!

Does anyone have experience attaching the pack in a stable way that's easy to connect? I tried looping the straps, but it slipped around too much and fell sideways. I wonder about a bungee of some kind. Or??

A second working task is finding a better top handle arrangement, because when the S19 is packed for travel, it's very heavy for my slightly arthritic fingers. I saw the paracord enhancement threads and may explore those. But honestly, some kind of foam wrap would be a little piece of heaven!
    Last edited by celtical; 07-24-2014 at 07:19 AM.

I have a 2 wheeled Lipault roller and am thinking of using this exact same combo on my next flight. I haven't used this product, but the Bag Bungee gets great reviews and should work. My only concern is that the Lipault is a soft-sided bag and may not give the most stability to any bag resting on top of it. Of course YMMV, but I would be concerned with the suitcase either tipping or caving in from the top if not fully packed.
    currently:
    • Burnt Orange: Synapse 19 (steel), Synapse 25 (steel), Organizer Wallet, 3D COC, small and medium DOP
    • Black: Side Effect (steel), small padded OP
    • Steel: small clear OP
    want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), DLBP (black or steel), Synapse 25 (grey/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Thanks, Aeon, we seem to share the vision! It seems from my experimenting that if I can keep the weight back towards the handle, in good alignment over the wheels (think yoga?), the wheeling is pretty smooth. I like the Bag Bungee you suggested and just ordered it! Very well-reviewed, I notice.

I think you're right about the Lipault soft-sidedness and top stability. I'm looking to packing envelop and cubes with tie-downs to flatten out the horizontal profile so it doesn't get bulgy for size limitation purposes. And I've ordered a TB laundry stuff stack, thinking that would be a good shape to place at the top front as a last item with the bag standing. But I'm not counting on the top to support the weight of a personal item. We'll see!
    Last edited by celtical; 07-24-2014 at 07:46 AM.

My Lipault is burnt orange and I'm itching to use it in combo with my burnt orange Synapses!

I haven't traveled much with my roller as I favor non-wheeled bags, but every time I used it the contents shift down toward the wheels. Not too much mind you since I use the compression straps, but enough that I lose structure at the top of the suitcase. I think my problem is that the suitcase almost always is under packed so there is more room for shifting. If I recall correctly, I can get two layers of packing cubes in the suitcase fairly easily and that will greatly help it maintain its shape. I only use one layer so the roller is always a bit floppy and wrinkly looking. LOL
    currently:
    • Burnt Orange: Synapse 19 (steel), Synapse 25 (steel), Organizer Wallet, 3D COC, small and medium DOP
    • Black: Side Effect (steel), small padded OP
    • Steel: small clear OP
    want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), DLBP (black or steel), Synapse 25 (grey/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

I attached my S19 as a personal item to my roller for a Europe trip this spring. I cinched the waist belt as tight as would go, to fit over the handle and rest on the roller (used Strapeez or Web Dominator clips to gather up the longish S19 belt tails). Then I used a velcro Strapeez for a quick attachment of the S19 handle loop to the handle of the roller. I didn't need to use the waist strap for this trip, so could leave it neatly wrapped.

It worked well - easy to pull off/on, fairly secure from annoying bag-flop off the roller. I could undo the Velcro quickly, then slide the bag off the handle. I'll use the same combo with a Magellan's 2-wheel tote next week.
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 07-24-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Oh, this sounds interesting and simple, TavaPeak, will give it a try. Thanks!

I did a very similar thing to Tavapeak with my Ego bag on a 6 week trip recently - waist belt over handle of wheeled bag, strapeez connecting the handles together. It worked quite well.
    List under construction ....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0