Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By al85
  • 1 Post By haraya
  • 3 Post By backpack
  • 4 Post By binje
  • 1 Post By trailmix

Thread: Egad! Lipstick on Cordura - any tips?

Egad! Lipstick on Cordura - any tips?

I just got a beautiful Kiwi pouch, intended to hold my lipstick and lip balm collection. This morning, I was performing the clumsy maneuver of removing a cap while holding the pouch in the same hand as the lipstick and, well, let's just say "Flame" is not my choice of coordinating colors for Kiwi. Has anyone had any luck removing lipstick from Cordura? I saw something about using hairspray and I do have a tiny bottle that I use for getting ink out of clothing. Some people in the forum recommended Goop for a baby oil spill and I'm a fan of Dawn dish soap for grease spots. However, I'm concerned that any cleaner may just spread the stain instead of removing it. At the moment it is jarring but small. I was actually expecting the occasional accident on the inside of the pouch; I didn't expect to disfigure the exterior.

I actually had a small lipstick stain on my MCB and a little warm water with an organic dish soap (I used Seventh Generation) and a washcloth brought it out. It might take a bit depending on how big the stain is, but mine looks good.
    backpack and binje like this.
    A45, LCB, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

I'd try Dawn on a Q-tip first. If it were me, and the color starts spreading, I'd go ahead and wash the whole pouch, so that there's not a demarcation line from water marks. (I'm gambling that the Cordura will do just fine with soap and water.)

Alternately, I'm pretty sure Carbona Stain Devils (little yellow bottles in the cleaning aisle of the grocery) has a formulation for lipstick stains.
    binje likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by al85 View Post
    I actually had a small lipstick stain on my MCB and a little warm water with an organic dish soap (I used Seventh Generation) and a washcloth brought it out. It might take a bit depending on how big the stain is, but mine looks good.
    Organic Dish Soap is the key, the regular ones are too harsh.

1. Place a drop of the organic dish soap on the stain, let the soap be absorbed by the stain, dab both with a white cleaning or wash cloth.

2. Look, repeat 1, then wash the whole Pouch in cold water in the sink or a wash basin and use a toothbrush to work the stain out, blot the Pouch and let it air dry.

3. The next day, inspect and repeat 1. as soon as possible or smile, fill perfect Pouch with usual stuff, smile more and use it with a spring in your step.

4. Warning! Potentially stain making stuff are best kept in Dyneema.

Your Pouch should be just fine.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-16-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    al85, Ilkyway and binje like this.

Thank you, everybody! I tried dish soap and some gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and it looks like new. Amazing!

wd-40? i use it more any stain on cordura. works wonders on duct tape goo. plus gives any bag a nice smell for a while.
    icebeng likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
    wd-40? i use it more any stain on cordura. works wonders on duct tape goo. plus gives any bag a nice smell for a while.
    Yep, it's really useful to dissolve all sorts of gunk. But not sure how it affects the bags though, use with caution.
    And wouldn't it make the bag or pouch flammable?

Quote Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
    TB Crew says that mild dish soap and water is the prefered method.

WD40 is an harsh chemical. Not recommended on TB bags.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0