Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Linden
  • 2 Post By haraya
  • 4 Post By icebeng
  • 4 Post By Trailhiker

Thread: Keeping dust out of pen pockets?

Keeping dust out of pen pockets?

I've been trying to choose a Tom Bihn bag to get (or perhaps I should say to get first ...) and keep coming back to a question about pen slots. In the past, whenever I've had a bag with pen slots, they've seemed like magnets for dust, fragments of paper, crumbs, etc., and I've never been able to clean them out to my satisfaction.

I hope I'm not asking a question that's already been asked and answered... but I've learned so much by lurking on these forums recently, and I'm hoping someone might have advice on how to keep the dust out or how to clean it better once it's in.

I'm also not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question in--if not, I apologize and hope that it can be moved or removed.
    eWalker likes this.

Interesting, I had not noticed this problem with my bags - I think mainly because I tend not to use pen slots in general. (I worry about ink leakage, and also they rarely seem to be located in a useful spot.) Could you vacuum out the slots periodically? Or, you could wrap tape sticky-side out around a stick (smaller in diameter than a pen) and wiggle it in the slot to pick up dirt. (Make sure you have a long tail hanging out, so the tape doesn't get stuck down there too.)

Alternately, would a TB pen pouch work for you? Then you wouldn't have to worry about the slots.
    eWalker and Linden like this.

They're usually in the inside, so not as likely to pick up dirt, right?
    I haven't noticed any dirt in mine, although I might have a higher tolerance for dirt

2 solutions I can think of, empty the bag out once in a while, turn it upside down and give it a light shake or a couple of light whacks, do it outside if you're expecting a lot of dirt. If you have a Dyneema interior, it should be sufficient as dirt probably won't cling to it. If you are still not satisfied, maybe try a worn, soft pipe cleaner or small bottle brush to give it a light dry scrub.

To prevent dust from getting in, you could try to stopper it I guess, perhaps with a couple of Nerf darts, or used up lip balm casings?
    Or perhaps rolled up pieces of cloth.
    Last edited by icebeng; 06-29-2014 at 08:40 PM.

How to clean dust from pen pockets ?
    Simple,
    Use an air compressor hose and blow it out.
    Don't happen to have one of those?
    Use this,

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  171.1 KB

Thank you all so much for these suggestions. I suspect that haraya's low-tech tape solution will work very well for me most of the time, but now that I think about it, I have seen people use both an air compressor hose and a can of compressed gas similar to Trailhiker's picture, and simply never thought about the wide range of possible applications.

Icebeng, it's probably not as much of a problem as I think of it as being. However, I suspect that it's partly because I don't use enough pens and pencils to fill all the slots (if I have one pencil I keep good track of it--if I have several they all seem to wander off and hide). I like your idea of using them as rolled up cloth slots, although it's true that the Nerf darts would be more interesting.

I thought I had written a post last week to thank you all for these helpful suggestions, and that it just didn't appear quickly because I'm new. But I was slightly sleep deprived at the time, and I'm starting to wonder if I did something wrong and deleted it instead of posting it. In any case, I think these suggestions combined will work very well for me--pieces of cloth to keep the dust out, tape in case it gets in, and the compressed air if I want to get them especially clean. Thank you, either belatedly or again!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0