Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Upper Modular Pocket as a "Side Effect"

Upper Modular Pocket as a "Side Effect"

Since I have my Smart Alec I was thinking about the Upper Modular Pocket. I like the size and form of it so much. And the ideas developed in this threat from scribe: Extra tether sites inside the S19? got me thinking.
    So I ordered an extra Modular Pocket and it turns out it can be a “stomach-bag”, a PLO (Purse Like Object) or something to put in another bag for organization.
    What did I do?

1. Cut of the plastic attachments needed to hook it on the Smart Alec.
    2. Cut two of the 1" triangular metal hook (from the parts list) the way ceepee did in the above mentioned threat (look post #12)
    3. Thread those through the two most upper loops of the Modular Pocket to use for the shoulder strap from the Side Effect.
    4. Use the next two loops when I want it to be a “stomach-bag” with the a removable Waist Strap from the Side Effect.

I am not sure where I will put the shoulder strap on the long term. I included two pictures: in one you can see the triangle of the hook peeking over the top in the other I used the second pair of threads so the attachment-point is invisible. Maybe you have thought on this?
    I still love my Side Effects! I just like variations.

So here are the pictures:

Name:  UMP as SE1.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  949.5 KB

Name:  UMP as SE2.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  826.4 KB

Name:  UMP as SE3.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  939.6 KB

Name:  UMP as SE4.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  327.0 KB

Name:  UMP as SE5.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  774.7 KB

Happy to here what you think about this.
    Ilkyway

Very chic and very clever!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Genial!
    Thanks for sharing!

Does somebody tried to attach Ristretto for iPad/Air11 to the SmartAlec in place of Low Modular?

What a great idea! I love this! ....rushes off to check out the colors....
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Volunteer Moderator
    Very nice thought and clever solution. The Aubergine upper modular pocket has always struck me as being about the right size for a PLO (purse like object) if only there were an easy to carry it. Will have to try this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    What a great idea! I love this! ....rushes off to check out the colors....
    @gochicken and others, Yes, they recently restocked both the upper and lower modular pockets in Aubergine. But if you had checked this listing last week you wouldn't have found Aubergine listed.

Does anyone how it's capacity compares to the SE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    eWalker likes this.

That's so cool! I'll have to look at my (aubergine) upper modular pocket when it arrives - I just hope my aubergine/wasabi SE doesn't get jealous!
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

The Upper Modular Pocket has 2,5 liters (150 cubic inches).
    The Side Effect has 1,5 liters (90 cubic inches).

But because of the other form-factor the Side Effect uses its volume better (in my opinion) so that it does not seem to be that much smaller. Even so I have to say: when everything from my Side Effect is transferred to the Upper Modular Pocket there is room left for a silk scalf that would not have fitted in the SE without stressing the zippers.

Ilkyway

PS: I am not a green-person but I can totally see this done with the fores modular pocket (or the black one for thous who like black bags). But I checked for the aubergine and was happy to see that it is back in stock before I posted this.
    eWalker likes this.

scribe it is just a different look. I have use for both of them. I LOVE my aubergine/wasabi SE.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    But I checked for the aubergine and was happy to see that it is back in stock before I posted this.
    Currently available colors for the Upper Modular Pocket are Steel, Navy, Forest, Black, and Aubergine (in Ballistic Nylon) and Steel Dyneema.

while i have no personal use for this, i appreciate the creativity in adapting an existing item for a different purpose.

well done

So clever!

I wish Tom made that pocket without all the hardware so that it could be used as a dress purse or inner pocket inside a Swift or other bags by being clipped with the triangle clip.
    eWalker likes this.

That is totally cool. Thanks for the photos.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I love the shape of the pocket. Maybe a bottom pocket for me. It's a little larger. Are the pockets lined with dyneema? she asked, hoping against hope.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0