Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Upper Modular Pocket as a "Side Effect"

I did some alterations on my UMP/SE: I was not satisfied with thous triangles shoeing form behind the bag and the shoulder-strap was sliding along thous triangels too much. So my DH smoothed over the rests of the hardware he had to cut of (see first post) and I did something very bad to another TB-Product to get two O-Rings (would love to be able to by thouse on the parts-page too, just saying).

Here are the results of this modifications:

Name:  new SE3.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  391.8 KB

Name:  new SE2.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  318.2 KB

Name:  new SE1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  605.7 KB

Name:  new SE4.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  236.0 KB

And some thoughts: As I mentioned above, due to the shape of the UMP you do not get the howl extra space to use except you lay things on top of each other.

And it does not sit (used in purse-mode) as well at my side as a Side Effect does. Meaning it is sloughing around more. It works out for me good enough to use it as a purse but I thought you might want to know this. On a side note: I tent to fix my SE and this UMP with a short Key-strap to my jeans so that it is not "all over the place" when I have a lot bending down to do (three Kids...).

Ilkway

Fantastic ideas @Ilkyway

I have used the single gatekeeper clips is the same fashion but I did not think of using O-Rings too.
    I agree that it would be good be able to order O-Rings on the parts page. When I was modernizing my Brain Bag, I asked the TB crew to send me some O-rings as part of another order and they were kind enough to do so for free (great TB Customer Service) - but I would pay for them as well. Another option might be to use a key chain ring.

Thanks for the great pics too!

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

tpnl: I did think about key chain rings. But I did not want to add unessesery silver to this bag. I thought it might not look good. Asking for O-Rings sadly never crossed my mind. Now I have a "wounded" 3D-Mesh Packing Cube. It will be honored for its sacrifices ;-).

Ilkyway

Here is an update on my modified UMP: First I am sorry for my very bad memorry, but someone pointed out, that if you take a LCB and put in only stuff in the amound of a MCB that this would be very comfortable. Since reading this I take care to not stuff my UMP because that made it a real hassle to get out things fast (like at the cash-counter).

But the second thing is more exiting: With the new Night Flight the UMP fits nearly perfectly into one of the end pockets. The nearly means, you get a little space above left over. I used that space to put my Sunglass-Case under the UMP (because I use my Sunglasses not that often). I love how thous two work together. You can do the same thing with a Side Effect of cause. I just wanted to mention that this one does work very well too.

Ilkyway
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 07-28-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0