Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Upper Modular Pocket as a "Side Effect"

oh, just realized i could use this for a sporran.

Maybe that would be something for the future...that all "clip ons" for existing bags would fit multiple bags or be used on their own.

I did a search for Dyneema Modular Pockets... and found this

Wish they still came in Dyneema!
    eWalker likes this.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

3 unrelated points:
    1. Love your colour coordination in that outfit!
    2. I'm sure the UMP in other colours will look great done up this way too, but I think Aubergine makes things extra cute. A round purple purse/waist pack with light pink zipper pulls is all kinds of "squee!"-worthy.
    3. FWIW, I think it looks much better when the triangle clips are less visible.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-16-2014 at 09:30 PM.

WHOAH! Ilkyway, I had often wished that I could somehow stick my SE where my upper modular pocket went, but I hadn't thought of this....genius!

Yeah, this is just begging to evolve into a new design. Great photos! I love it!
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Fantastic Ilkyway!

I love the innovation! You inspire me to do something similar for my Lower Modular pocket to be a better lunch bag or holster bag.

I have one question - for the plastic attachments (gatekeeper clips) you removed - can you put them back on if you need to use the modular pocket on your SA again?

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

tpnl: not the way I did it, sorry. I actually bought an extra modular Pocket for this because I did not want to take saw to my Smart Alecs UMP. I feared he might not take it well ;-)

But I checked the parts-page and I think (but did not test it) that there are Gatekeeper Clips that might replace the once I cut of: "1" Double Gatekeeper: as used on our 1" waist belts and too many other products to name" (copied from the "parts section"). It seems to me, that one could modify these the same way as ceepee did with the trieangle-thingis so that they could be put on and of as needed.

If you have a result to your ideas, might you share pictures?

And as a thought from a day out with my new PLO: All thous who wish for a wider shoulderstrap for the SE this goes even more for this one. Since it can pack more it can get heavier and therefor a (slightly) wider shoulderstrap would be a good thing.

Ilkyway
    eWalker likes this.

tpnl, llkyway,
    I want to qualify this by saying I don't own a SA or the pockets. I just looked at the photos of the top pocket. It looks like one can remove the gate keeper clips and use the bag as llkyway shows in the photos. When you want it back on the SA just put the gate keeper clips back on.

llkyway, what exactly did you have to cut off?
    Thanks for any thoughts,
    Moose
    eWalker likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I had to cut the clips. And I could not do it in a way so that they were reusable (maybe because of lack of skills). The material of the webloop was in my way.
    Moose and eWalker like this.

Ok, I must have been tired last night. I totally understand why you had to cut them off now.
    Thanks,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Since I have my Smart Alec I was thinking about the Upper Modular Pocket. I like the size and form of it so much. And the ideas developed in this threat from scribe: Extra tether sites inside the S19? got me thinking.
    So I ordered an extra Modular Pocket and it turns out it can be a “stomach-bag”, a PLO (Purse Like Object) or something to put in another bag for organization.
    What did I do?

1. Cut of the plastic attachments needed to hook it on the Smart Alec.
    2. Cut two of the 1" triangular metal hook (from the parts list) the way ceepee did in the above mentioned threat (look post #12)
    3. Thread those through the two most upper loops of the Modular Pocket to use for the shoulder strap from the Side Effect.
    4. Use the next two loops when I want it to be a “stomach-bag” with the a removable Waist Strap from the Side Effect.

I am not sure where I will put the shoulder strap on the long term. I included two pictures: in one you can see the triangle of the hook peeking over the top in the other I used the second pair of threads so the attachment-point is invisible. Maybe you have thought on this?
    I still love my Side Effects! I just like variations.

So here are the pictures:

Attachment 6677

Attachment 6678

Attachment 6679

Attachment 6680

Attachment 6681

Happy to here what you think about this.
    Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway Great job and great looking result! I loved your insight!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-18-2014 at 03:10 AM.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Since I can't find the thread where someone recently posted that lower modular pockets were back in stock, I see @Moriond posted here about the upper colors in stock. Thank you! I was finally able to get my happy lower modular pocket. Thank you @Ilkyway and all the other forum posters for all of the creative ideas for using gorgeous TB products. And I will include some gratuitous photos of my new lower pocket...now I understand the aubergine love! Sorry, I am having problems with my photos displaying sideways.
    Name:  SA Pocket1.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  114.8 KBName:  SA pocket3.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  135.5 KBName:  SA Pocket4.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  128.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 06-18-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Ok, one last thing! Inspired by @Ilkyway, I had to convert my lower modular pocket to a functional water holster thanks to some double carabiner clips and my SE strap. This has likely been done before by others (sorry if this is reviving Name:  SA pocket pouch.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  81.5 KBName:  SA Pocket pouch2.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  72.4 KBan old idea), but it is nice since it sits more flat than most water bottle holders I have used in the past.

Nice touch with the double carabiners @NWhikergal! Thanks for the photos. It looks very natural by someone's hip. Could even use it to carry some camera stuff.

I do something similar with my lower modular pocket. I hook an 8" key strap to the top two gatekeeper clips and use it as a handle to carry my lunch which is in this pocket. The lower modular pocket is a very slim pocket and can fit in another bag very easily. I use Velcro ties to keep the 4 other gatekeeper clips from snagging anything.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-18-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    And I will include some gratuitous photos of my new lower pocket...now I understand the aubergine love!
    Just wanted to say that the combination of black(?) dyneema UMP, SA and aubergine LMP is pretty cute/interesting. The black and white pattern really makes the purple stand out. Too bad there's no interior-friendly fabric that's a solid aubergine colour; I would buy a bag in this combo in a heartbeat!
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-19-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0