Like Tree28Likes
  • 22 Post By scribe
  • 3 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By Ilkyway
  • 2 Post By Ilkyway

Thread: Pen pockets for the Side Effect

Pen pockets for the Side Effect

When I received my first Side Effect (a handsome olive parapack/UV fellow), my one disappointment was that it had no pen pockets. Now, admittedly the interior pockets are rather too shallow for a standard-length pen, but they are more than wide enough for my iPhone - indeed, it tended to slide around and threaten to slide out!

So - sacrilege though it might be! - I decided to add my own...

Here's the SE pre-modifications, turned inside-out so you can see everything clearly:

Name:  se_1.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  45.5 KB

On the left is my iPhone 5 with a Boxwave stylus, and on the right an extra-small Moleskine with a Zebra telescoping ballpoint. I keep the stylus out of the way since I don't use it every day, whereas the pen is in a central position for quick access.

I placed pins between the phone and stylus and between the notebook and pen, then loaded a needle with extra-strong thread and got to work!

Name:  se_2.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  63.7 KB

To make life easy, I followed the lines in the dyneema - this meant that my stitches weren't quite parallel to the existing ones, but at least they're in a straight line

Following Tom's example, I triple-stitched the top couple of centimetres for extra strength. Here's the finished results, with everything back in place:

Name:  se_3.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  52.6 KB

And here's the Side Effect turned right-side out and refilled with my everyday stuff.

Name:  se_4.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  41.5 KB

Now my phone fits snugly, and my pen and notebook stay in their places instead of sliding over one another. Of course I'm not suggesting that this should be a standard design feature, but it suits me well enough that I'll probably do it to my other SEs.

(Note: I actually did this a few weeks ago, but I wanted to wait and see how it held up before showing it off )
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

scribe, you have nerves of steel. I wish I could bring myself to do the same thing.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

scribe that is such a nice idea, thank you very much for sharing! When the Side Effect is become more availble again, so that I can replace mine if it is not going well, I am going to try it out. I am not as brave as you but you gave me some Ideas by this which I am going to try out. Thanks for taking "step by step" pictures.

Ilkyway
    eWalker likes this.

@scribe, that is an awesome idea! Too bad I have no sewing skills and even less courage when it comes to potentially messing up a TB bag. Hmm... my mother sews... wonder if I can trust her with my SE?
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Nicely done!

I thought about trying this as I looked at your pictures, but then reconsidered after imagining sewing my Side Effect together down the middle where I want the pen pocket...after having turned it inside out!

But maverick it even looks great inside out so no real problem there ;-)

Volunteer Moderator
    Darcy, could we have this pen pocket (would work wonderfully for lip balm as well!) incorporated into the Side Effect?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0