Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Good ways to label organizer pouches

Good ways to label organizer pouches

Hello all

I am wondering how people are labeling their OPs? Any recommendations? Ideally something that could stay on for a while (weeks) and be peeled off / replaced.

Thanks for any shared experience

Morgan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by priceless View Post
    Hello all

I am wondering how people are labeling their OPs? Any recommendations? Ideally something that could stay on for a while (weeks) and be peeled off / replaced.

Thanks for any shared experience

Morgan
    Do you have to label your organizer pouches? Doesn't color coding or material used help you distinguish? I also like to use some of the Knitting Tool Pouches discussed in this thread as regular pouches. The ballistic nylon ends mean that you could insert a label that is visible through the clear window and have it held in positions by the Ballistic Nylon end pieces. I actually find this feature more useful to hold small items like sim cards, tools for changing sim cards, or the magnetic adapter for my new Retina MacBook Pro Power brick in place.

It depends on what kind and sizes of organizer pouches and cubes you are using, the method that you can adopt.

HTH. moriond

Thanks @moriond.

I am color coding to a degree but found that I needed a few more colors for the larger OPs. I have ones that are not clear as they may have private info.

Ideally I wouldn't label just color code but I'm thinking I might need to label and wondering if people have tried anything before I stick something on one... But the dyneema should handle just about anything...right?

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks @moriond.

I am color coding to a degree but found that I needed a few more colors for the larger OPs. I have ones that are not clear as they may have private info.

Ideally I wouldn't label just color code but I'm thinking I might need to label and wondering if people have tried anything before I stick something on one... But the dyneema should handle just about anything...right?
    For small size organizer pouches (small or medium sized), the new Double Organizer Pouches provide a clear front with a closed zippered back pocket. So for those size (small and medium) pouches you can both color code and label by inserting a piece of paper in the clear window section.

For large organizer pouches I use color coding since I also use the lighter weight 500d Cordura pouches in addition to Dyneema for papers. (This means I have large organizer pouches in solid colors like Cayenne, Wasabi, Steel, Crimson, etc. in addition to the Dyneema colors to use). Assuming I only bought large Dyneema Organizer pouches in a few colors like Steel and Iberian, I would identify them by the way I grouped them according to the colors of keystraps I attached to them. Or else I would group related sets of pouches together with sets of Double Carabiner Clips and either use colored tape on the Clips, or on a short section of the black piping of the pouch. You could even offset the taped positions on the piping (like file folder tabs, but without the labeling -- just the colors) so you could identify the pouch you wanted from a large stack just looking at the side.

I suspect that you really want some solution that lets you write directly on the pouches or on some tape that remains stuck to the pouch, but does not damage the pouch fabric. I don't have any experience trying to do that, but maybe some other forum user can suggest something.

HTH. moriond

Thanks Again @moriond. I like the idea of the double carabiner bundling and have several of those in my current order (coming soon!). I'll use that to organize some stuff. And yes - I do want to label the large OPs also for me to hand off to my office staff so they know what to do. I do some outreach and end up collecting papers that need to go to various places. They may have patient info and I like the idea of keeping them zipped up so they don't get lost.

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks Again @moriond. I like the idea of the double carabiner bundling and have several of those in my current order (coming soon!). I'll use that to organize some stuff. And yes - I do want to label the large OPs also for me to hand off to my office staff so they know what to do. I do some outreach and end up collecting papers that need to go to various places. They may have patient info and I like the idea of keeping them zipped up so they don't get lost.
    What about using magnetic labels? Insert one piece of flexible magnetic strip inside the pouch and sandwich a piece of paper to the outside of the pouch that you write on? When you're done, pull apart the magnetic strips and pull off the paper labels. I bet you could search for a stationary product like that used for tacking up papers to magnetic white boards.

moriond
    Moose and dorayme like this.

How about writing on the back of a post-it note (the side with the glue) and then sticking it to the urethane inside the pouch so that the writing is visible?

What about using colored clips to clamp on the sides of your pouches? Adds more color combinations.

Key tags on the zippers maybe...

Another thought, write your tag, laminate it and hang on the zipper with one of those plastic gizzmos like TB attaches tags with. The name of them, if they have one, escapes me.
    Last edited by Moose; 05-13-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

A couple of possibilities, neither of which I've tried. 1 - lab tape. Commercially you can buy ShurTape from amazon.com. 2 - sticky labels meant to label children's clothing. Companies like Oliver's Labels or Mabel's Labels. They sell iron-on (not advised with Dyneema, based on what I've read) and little sticky tags that work on the washing instructions tag of shirts and such. However these come printed with a name, so you might have to look for this type of label but customizable with multiple descriptions.

If you have a clear OP, I would recommend buying a label maker for printing labels to stick on the urethane surface (don't think they'll stick to fabric surfaces). Label makers are pricey, but are worth it IMO if you've other stuff around the office that need nice, neat labels. I haven't stuck them on TB's clear OPs since I don't have one, but have used them on all kinds of plastic surfaces around my house. They adhere well.

Gift tags the ones that look like wide arrows with a little hole on top.
    They are easily found in a variety of colors and sizes and can be written on with wide array of writing instruments:
    wide markers for heavy use as well as ease of spotting, thin markers for their wide range of colors, pencil for ease of erasing...
    A thin ribbon can be inserted in the gift tag then clipped on to the clip of the Organizer Pouch.

This way, one can color code the Organizer Pouch, the gift tag and the ribbon.

For example:

Dyneema Wasabi Large Pouch, green gift tag and ribbon = to evaluate

Steel Large Pouch, red gift tag and ribbon = to file

Steel Large Pouch, grey gift tag and ribbon = to archive

Dyneema Wasabi Large Pouch, blue gift tag and ribbon = homework

Really strong tags can be made from heavy card stock with an arrow shaped craft punch and a one hole punch, they are very cheap as well.

Thanks Everyone!

This is going to keep me busy testing out what works

I love the organization of the large OPs for papers, especially as I bike around, etc. I was just running out of options for the different stuff I am working on. Now I've got more options... And that means....

Time for another order,right...?

scribe likes this.

Another possibility would be to get a label maker like this one. I'm pretty sure that the plastic labels will stick to the urethane surface of clear OPs, and from my experience, can be removed without much trouble. However, the machines and tape refills aren't cheap, so it would only be economical if you've got other things to print labels for (I compulsively labels my files, kitchen tupperwares, etc.!). Also, I don't think they adhere to fabric surfaces.

Hi @adalangdon

That's what I have tried -- except I am using full dyneema OPs (no urethane as I wanted these pouches not to show private info by accident). So far the label has held up OK being pulled in and out of the Pilot and my bike bag as I travel around.

Further testing is needed to see how well it holds up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0