Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Miking
  • 4 Post By Frank II

Thread: How To: Make a DIY washboard laundry bag

How To: Make a DIY washboard laundry bag

In SKIMT's post I mentioned a modification to his dry bag that would help with doing laundry on a trip. Here is what I have done to an Outdoor Research dry bag to give the inside a washboard texture so you don't have to put in as much effort to get your clothes clean.

Step 1.) Obtain supplies, for this I used a 15 litre Outdoor Research graphic rolltop dry bag although any polyurethane coated nylon dry bag will work, Seam Grip and a hotel key card*

Step 2.) Notch key card, using a sharp pocket knife CAREFULLY cut little V-shaped notches on one edge of the keycard.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  380.6 KB
    (If you are in DeKalb, IL you can use this opportunity to order pizza!)
    Step 3.) Turn bag inside out and glob on the Seam Grip, lay the bag flat, you will probably need about an ounce or so per side.

Step 4.) Spread out the Seam Grip, don't worry about getting it perfect.
Views: 733
Size:  366.3 KB

Step 5.) Wait, Seam grip wants to settle thin and flat, great for tent seams, not so good for this project.

Step 6.) Once the Seam Grip has cured enough to become thicker and is holding it's shape use the notched key card like a tile trowel to make ridges in the seam grip, press pretty hard to get right down to the nylon in the grooves. Move in whatever pattern you think will work best for cleaning your clothes, I chose "gentle wave".
Views: 728
Size:  462.2 KB

Step 7.) let cure, but watch it, if you didn't wait long enough it will try to pool so it is flat again, expect some rounding of the ridges but if it starts to really flatten give it another go with the key card.

Step 8.) Once it has become semi-hard let cure overnight. (Optional but not necessary: do same to reverse side)

Step 9.) (next day) turn right side out, fill with dirty clothes, soap and water. Let out excess air, seal roll top and roll around to scrub away! Rinse, repeat as necessary.

* I always keep my hotel keycards, not for security/privacy reasons but for the fact that when I am on the road the tour manager is usually the one that has booked the hotel rooms and even the simple act of handing back a room key to the front desk will trigger a series of events that has the front desk clerk interrogating me about credit cards and room service charges for a dozen different rooms and trying to get me to sign off on everything and making me late for bus call, so sometimes it is better to sneak out the back and hold on to them to use for little DIY projects and leave the tour manager to do their duty sorting out rooms.

If you are of the lazy (efficient) variety you can also just dab or glob or swirl the seam grip on, the idea is just to give it some extra texture to make your laundry job easier. The first one I made just had a bunch of dots all over the inside but it proved to be too small to clean all but a few pairs of socks or a t-shirt(10L), you can also stick a few dots on the outside to stop it from sliding around.

You guys make laundry really complicated.

I take along a couple of 2 gallon ziploc bags. Put clothes in, water, a little detergent, seal closed and shake. The shaking motion is similar to the agitation of a washing machine. And...you get a workout as well.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Hoping this an April Fools how to Seems like a lot of work... Frank's ziplock method works perfectly.

My intention is not to belittle obsessive attention to detail... my wife would tell you that I am more than capable of agonizing over bags and packing solutions that would be of no concern to a "normal" person.
    Last edited by giantsteve; 04-01-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    my wife would tell you that I am more than capable of agonizing over bags and packing solutions that would be of no concern to a "normal" person.
    I find this really funny because my wife can relate too! In fact our laundry is in our hotel bathroom drying right now. I might think about doing the silicone it is a good idea. However I am kind of lazy and it seems to work ok as is.

The ingenuity on this message board is unbelievable. I find it so funny that we obsess over how we pack, how others pack, etc.

My husband also thinks I'm nuts. But, heh, there are many, many worse obsessions! All of this is part and parcel of my love of travel, every last piece of pondering and planning all its aspects.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.