Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By Badger
  • 6 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By Trailhiker

Thread: Corralling (Sp?) Backpack Straps

Corralling (Sp?) Backpack Straps

Just a few weeks ago, I used by S25 as a personal carry on airline flights. I stuck it underneath the seat in front of me. The straps were everywhere, like Medusa. It drove me crazy. They were in the aisle, tangled around my feet, etc. This was my first trip with the S25 on airplanes. I am a newbie to backpack travel. What do people do with all these straps so they don't drive you crazy and trap unwanted creatures?
    Synapse 25 Steel D/Wasabi, Side Effects: Black/Wasabi, Steel D/Wasabi; PCSBs in UV, wasabi, and steel; Large Shop Bags: 2 Nordic, 2 Solar; 2 sm. Shop Bag UV; CoPilot Black D/Wasabi; black D/wasabi Pilot; 3 Travel Trays; 3 Clear 1/4 packing cubes;
    wallets; number padded pouches and clear organizer pouches, key straps, double carabiners galore, and soon to be the mother of an aubergine/UV SE AND an Aeronaut Junior!!!!!!!!! (Darcy says soon.)

I use Web Dominator clips. They are available online from several suppliers.

monkeylady, I use Velcro as described in this video to wrap up the dangling ends.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zVmhG4L...%3DzVmhG4LX3Jg
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I got 1" tri-glides to hold the strap against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Just a few weeks ago, I used by S25 as a personal carry on airline flights. I stuck it underneath the seat in front of me. The straps were everywhere, like Medusa. It drove me crazy. They were in the aisle, tangled around my feet, etc. This was my first trip with the S25 on airplanes. I am a newbie to backpack travel. What do people do with all these straps so they don't drive you crazy and trap unwanted creatures?
    I travelled with my S19, I tucked them under the bag, underneath the seat.

However, after reading on this forum, about yukky under seats and seat pockets in all airplanes and someone backpack lifted from the front of the seat, I decided that bringing a Large Shop Bag to protect my S19 in it, was a wise idea for future travels.

The S25 might be a tight squeeze.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-21-2014 at 10:06 PM.

I don't use anything on my straps, although I do lock the ends of the waist strap together. I just take the pack off, gather the shoulder straps together, and slide it under the seat with the top grab handle facing towards me. I can't say that tangling or disarray has ever been much of an issue, but then again, I have worn a backpack every day for a number of decades and I suppose one does learn to manage and keep things tidy.

Perhaps all that's needed is more time to become comfortable with your pack; when keeping the straps contained in everyday situations becomes second nature, I imagine air travel will become much less onerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yohopee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GriffCouch View Post
    This. I found mine at Supply Captain. I love them. An alternatine would be a piece of elastic and a few stitches with needle and thread.
    Moose
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

They seem to be missing from Supply Captain. But you can get them fairly cheaply also at milspecmonkey.com
    They also have inexpensive tri-glides. More importantly, you can get these in units of 1 if you want, rather than in bulk.
    Last edited by feijai; 02-22-2014 at 08:25 PM.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Strapeez - Unruly cables are no match for these handy straps - TOM BIHN

There are 6 per package, enough to tame all the extra straps lengths.

I like Strapeez for a lot of things, but not on my backpack straps. They rub against my clothes and fuzz ends up sticking to them, and with some of my clothes they cause pilling.

They'd probably be fine if you're only wearing your bag over a smooth coat though.

Quote Originally Posted by GriffCouch View Post
    I second using the dominator clips, they come in black and a coyote/khaki color.
    One thing though,keep in mind that the narrow end flares out a little,
    I position them so they r pointing out so not to poke me.

I use them on my synapses, guide pack and side effect(s).
    With the absolute strap I use a piece of Velcro wrap.

I have tried the Velcro ties and they work well. However, I tend to adjust my backpack straps throughout the day and it is hard to adjust on the fly.

I saw on another backpack that they attached the dangling end webbing to a D-ring that was already threaded through the part of the webbing attached to the bottom of the backpack. I built my own version using a 1" tri-glide and D-Ring.
    To install it, I unthreaded the backpack strap webbing and threaded it through the D-Ring. I then rethreaded it back through the shoulder strap and then through the tri-glide. I then looped it through the D-Ring and then back though the tri-glide (it sounds complicated but is similar to how the Absolute Strap is threaded around the end hook which is not hard to do).

Here is a picture of the final product. It keeps the dangling ends at bay and allow me to adjust the straps easily.

Name:  Loose Strap Fix.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  326.5 KB

This may be too much work to be worth it but I found it a good clean solution if you are willing to do some tinkering.
    I also did something similar for the sternum straps using 3/4" tri-glides and D-Rings.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 02-22-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    Smart Alec (Black/Steel), Zephyr (Black/Steel), Brain Bag (Back/Steel), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Aeronaut (Black/Iberian) + PCBP (Iberian), Tristar (Black/Iberian) + PCBP (Wasabi), Checkpoint Flyer (Black/Indigo/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells (Black, 1, 2S, 4Z, 3S), Horizontal & Vertical Freudian Slips, Camera I/O, Travel Tray (Wasabi), Leader's Pocket (Black)

Tpni,

Very elegant!

So I've got several strategies for managing the significant number of loose straps on my Brain Bag.

1. Shoulder straps. Since these need to be loosened and tightened here and there, the right choice is tri-glides. I got mine from Milspec Monkey, and they work flawlessly: indeed I'm surprised the backpack didn't come with them. It was a real bear getting the straps out of the current hardware so I could route them through the tri-glides though. But now I'm set.
    2. Compression straps. The lower compression straps I just keep buckled but loose since they don't get in the way of any zippers. The upper straps get in the way of zippers, so I need to tie 'em back. Presently I'm using two web dominators I had around (also from Milspec Monkey).
    3. Sternum strap. I keep the left sternum strap tightened all the way, and just modulate with the right strap. The left strap's extra webbing is kept in check using the backpack's built-in water tubing hydration hook thing.
    4. Bottle straps in the back. I had some thin hook-like hardware from another bag (more or less the same as the hydration hook) and presently use them and they work well. But lacking that I'd probably go with web dominators, though they're not optimal on the lower bottle strap.

Everything's pretty nicely tied down now.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0