Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Idiot's Guide to Installing Corded Zipper Pulls?

Idiot's Guide to Installing Corded Zipper Pulls?

After futzing briefly with trying to install the corded zipper pulls with the little plastic TB sliders and not having the greatest success, I thought I'd throw out it out to the Forum...can anyone give me the Dummy's Guide To Installing Corded Zipper Pulls? I've seen the very nice video of Tom Bihn tying knots to be used as zipper pulls, but the cords that come with the little plastic sliders (I love those little sliders ) are, I think, shorter than the non-plastic pull cords. How do you thread them through the metal zipper pulls (like on the Co-Pilot and Western Flyter and Tri Star) so that they lay flat? Advice anyone??

Thanks in advance!
    tCook likes this.

This video by our very own Maverick has been "my idiot proof way of installing cord pulls with the cute little slider." Thanks Maverick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-sNCViV3qw

The post below will show you the many ways to arrange the cord pull around the zipper pull and slider.

How do you like to attach the cord on your zipper pulls?
    Last edited by backpack; 02-19-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    In addition to the links that backpack gave, here's Tom's own YouTube video on how to tie cord pulls that Tlactne referenced for the longer pulls
    Last edited by moriond; 02-19-2014 at 05:10 PM.

@moriond and backpack- thank you for your help! You guys are amazing.

If I were really brave I'd cut off the metal tabs and replace them with the corded zipper pulls a la the S19 and S25 and "version 2" SE...

...but I'm not really brave

So adding the corded zipper pulls with the plastic sliders is a great middle ground!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    @moriond and backpack- thank you for your help! You guys are amazing.

If I were really brave I'd cut off the metal tabs and replace them with the corded zipper pulls a la the S19 and S25 and "version 2" SE...

...but I'm not really brave

So adding the corded zipper pulls with the plastic sliders is a great middle ground!

Thanks again!

I wouldn't do that either, not only for me the metal tabs are really useful, the idea of messing with a beautiful bag scares me too.

I also like the idea of being able to have the zipper replaced if someone were to try to force it open, if I ever used locks.

Can I check one thing based on the above video - does this mean that the cord does not have to be knotted when it is threaded through the plastic slider? As I understand, the goal is to thread inner-outer-outer-inner and then snap the plastic components together. Is that right?
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Can I check one thing based on the above video - does this mean that the cord does not have to be knotted when it is threaded through the plastic slider? As I understand, the goal is to thread inner-outer-outer-inner and then snap the plastic components together. Is that right?
    I think they look better if you knot it the way that Tom demonstrates! His approach also results in the quieting of the zipper pulls - you won't get the otherwise louder clanging of the two petal zipper pulls against each other.
    eWalker likes this.
    -m

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    That's correct- the cord doesn't need to be (in fact, they should not be?) knotted in any way. It's because the pulls work by 1) the inner sheath clamping the ends of the cord; and 2) the outer sheath securing the clamped cord by going over the inner sheath, thereby locking the cords in place. I imagine that knotting would make either or both of these steps difficult!
    eWalker likes this.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas

I'm a cutter!

I tried the thread through the metal pull and knot just like Tom, but my metal pulls were still jangly. I cut the metal pulls off my co-pilot, and tonight I cut them off my Pilot!

It was cathartic. As with the Synapse, and Side Effect, some bags need to be in stealth mode IMHO.
    I had to watch a YouTube video to figure out the lanyard knot, and the included tie was way shorter than the recommended 12" in the video so there was some manipulation, but they are super strong, and very easy to pull, but most importantly, SILENT!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Like Dorayme, I've done it too. It's so liberating. And SO QUIET.

Join ussss.......joooiiinnnn uuuuussssssss.........

Name:  zippers.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  71.2 KB
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I had to watch a YouTube video to figure out the lanyard knot, and the included tie was way shorter than the recommended 12" in the video so there was some manipulation, but they are super strong, and very easy to pull, but most importantly, SILENT!
    Wow! Love the look of the lanyard knots, @dorayme. Could you post the link to that YouTube video?
    eWalker likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

one thing i have noticed is that not too many here do is double wrap the zipper, which i do on all my zipper pulls. by that i mean run the cord through the zipper again before tying the knot. this, for the most part, keeps the knotted cord centered for easy grabbing. the other option i use is to tie the pull off the bag and girth hitch it to the zipper.

and since i imagine it will come up, the white tick marks in the cord are reflective and the big cord ends have glow in the dark centers.

Name:  tb pulls.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  288.6 KB
    Last edited by trailmix; 05-30-2014 at 08:34 AM.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Wow! Love the look of the lanyard knots, @dorayme. Could you post the link to that YouTube video?
    here ya go!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

thank you for posting, i just learned something new: the lanyard knot.
    dorayme likes this.

This probably sounds silly, but what material are the pulls made from? I'm thinking about doing the longer pulls as demonstrated by Tom above since I always seem to have difficulty with the included cord pull/slider set up. Also, how long would each piece of string need to be?
    I have an obsession with solar, just in case no one has picked up on that yet. If it's in solar, I want it. XD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0