Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By terayon

Thread: Use the Cheater D to adapt messenger bags for use with a strap with snaphook

Use the Cheater D to adapt messenger bags for use with a strap with snaphook

1-1/2" Cheater "D": to adapt our messenger bags for use with a shoulder strap that uses a snaphook
    2" Cheater "D": to adapt our old messenger bags for use with a shoulder strap that uses a snaphook

available on the Parts page under accessories
    Parts - Replacement or extra parts for your bag - TOM BIHN

I have a lovely Storm/steel MCB with the stiff style of strap and wonder can I adapt it to use an absolute strap?

It would seem I would have to actually cut off the fixed end of the existing strap .. which seems a bit serious.

How are these cheater D's used and what bags are they suitable for?
    List under construction ....

Use the Cheater D to adapt messenger bags for use with a strap with snaphook

The cheater Ds work with bags that have a tri-glide attached to the bag. I know the LCB and Ego have them, but I'm not sure about the MCB.

The tri-glide is the plastic piece with three bars across it. It is sewn directly to the bag via a loop that runs around the middle bar. The cheater D is the piece with the small hole in it; a short strip of webbing is attached and it is this webbing that is fed through the tri-glide.

If the MCB's strap is sewn directly to the bag (ie is not removable), you could cut the strap, leaving a few inches still on the bag, then run this strap around the middle bar of a tri-glide and sew it back on to itself. Don't try it if you're not absolutely sure, though!
    Last edited by terayon; 02-14-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Moose likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    The cheater Ds work with bags that have a tri-glide attached to the bag. I know the LCB and Ego have them, but I'm not sure about the MCB.

@Daisy, @terayon. I think Daisy is correct: she would actually have to cut the strap of a Medium Cafe Bag. The Large Cafe bags give you the option of switching straps. For all the Medium and Small Cafe bags for the last several years, the strap has been sewn to the side of the bag.

The cheaters were used with old style bags that used to have straps connected on with a short section that was attached to the bag. I used these on my old ID messenger bag several years ago,

I used the Cheater D strap for my Imago.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0