Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By acv
  • 3 Post By Hollie
  • 2 Post By Hollie

Thread: How to break off metal zipper pulls so I can replace with the nylon zipper pulls?

How to break off metal zipper pulls so I can replace with the nylon zipper pulls?

Some of my beloved TB bags have big zippers, and make a lot of rattling noise when I walk. I'd like to somehow safely break off the metal pulls so that I can attach my TB nylon zipper pulls. How do I break these off safely*?

I'm assuming this involved a trip to Home Depot for some kind of metal cutters? Can anyone tell me which tool to get? I'm imagining coming home with some big fence cutters or something, and accidentally hacking the bag to bits. But my small wire cutters don't do the job, either. Your expertise, fellow TB bag lovers?

* Yup, totally aware that by breaking these off, they can't be put on, that it's a permanent thing. I'm okay with that.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

I haven't done it, but I thought I saw something on this site about how to do it. In looking, I discovered some threads where people silenced their pulls without cutting them, by threading some of the paracord through it. Have you thought of that?

zipper pull silencer?

If you decide you want to remove the metal ones, I think you'd probably need something like this:
    Shop Crescent 9-in Plier at Lowes.com

Side cutters will remove the metal zipper pulls.

Yeah, I've tried threading cord through them. In some bags it helps the noise, and in others it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. Plus, I just really like the feeling of the soft cord pulls, so I don't fret at all over the idea of losing the metal pull.

I'll head to Home Depot and see what I can find!
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

acv
    Yeah side cutting pliers are fine or better yet diagonal cutting pliers. Mine cut very easily but they can tend to fly around so wear eye protection and do it outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    Yeah, I've tried threading cord through them. In some bags it helps the noise, and in others it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. Plus, I just really like the feeling of the soft cord pulls, so I don't fret at all over the idea of losing the metal pull.

I'll head to Home Depot and see what I can find!

I think removing the metal pulls does something to the bag warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I think removing the metal pulls does something to the bag warranty.
    LOL - Yeah I'm pretty sure it voids it completely. I'm not worried, though. I'd rather enjoy my bags a whole lot more and actually use them, even if that means I've voided the warranty, than admire them in the closet.

acv
    The bag is still covered just not the metal zipper pulls.

From the website:
    Important: Make sure you've decided you never want metal zipper pulls again before you cut them off because, once you've cut the metal pulls off, you can't put them back on. And once you've cut off your metal zipper pulls, that part of your bag is no longer covered under our Lifetime Guarantee. For example: you can't cut off your metal zipper pulls, then send your bag back to us to have the zipper replaced because you want the metal zipper pulls back (the rest of the bag is still covered by our guarantee). Once the metal pulls have been removed from a bag, we cannot accept the bag back for exchange or refund. And while replacing the metal pulls with Cord Zipper Pulls isn't as dangerous as some of the things we do every day, please make sure to be careful and know that you are proceeding at your own risk.

Name:  zippers.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  71.2 KB

It worked! I used our housemate's wire clippers and took them all off. I love the lack of metallic rattle from my Swift, Little Swift, and all three of my Cafe Bags. I've never understood why the heavier backpacks, like my Smart Alec and Synapse, have no metal pulls specifically to avoid making noise, but so many of the other bags do. Silence is golden.
    Last edited by Hollie; 10-11-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Fixed photo.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Hollie, you are inspiring me. I took them off my Co-pilot, but haven't for my other bags. You are tempting me though with the zipper pull bits.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I've not found any downside to doing it, so far!

I took them off my CP, too, and the Side Effects. The Tom Bihn zipper pulls are easy to install and both look and work great. I did an inventory of my TB stuff and realized that several bags weren't getting used because they were noisy in urban environments (the library, theaters, restaurants, etc). I love having the soft zipper pulls. Oh, and I even took them off my Field Journals!

I forgot to add, though: WEAR GOGGLES. Or turn your head away when you apply the final pressure to clip them (that's what I did). They can FLY ACROSS THE ROOM. Like most Tom Bihn items, they want to travel.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0