Like Tree16Likes
  • 13 Post By Miking
  • 3 Post By radionokia

Thread: How to: Attach patches to a bag without sewing

How to: Attach patches to a bag without sewing

Here is how I temporarily attached a Canadian Flag patch to my Tri-star using high strength Neodymium magnets.

Assemble materials: You will need a patch, neodymium magnets, an iron on patch for backing and an iron.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2546
Size:  624.8 KB

Place magnets on patch observing correct polarity, you can hold them on with glue or use magnets on the other side of the patch.
Views: 2486
Size:  658.3 KB

Iron on the backing, I used a straightening iron because it was handy, but a regular clothes iron works fine.
Views: 2453
Size:  571.4 KB

Make a backing by sandwiching another 2 magnets between the iron on patch material. Attach to your bag and enjoy!
Views: 2339
Size:  799.6 KB

I'm a little bit craft-challenged, and I'm not sure I understand.

You have an iron-on flag patch with magnets sandwiched between the patch and a fabric backing? And then something similar on the inside of the bag to hold it in place?

It's actually a regular patch with an iron-on repair patch (like the ones mom used to patch the knees in your jeans) sandwiching the magnets in place. The iron on material is on the top in the first picture, it is cut to the same size as the Canadian flag patch and ironed onto the back. On the inside of the bag it is just two peices of the iron on patch stuck to each other with magnets in between.

I think I get it. You put two magnets on the back of the patch and covered with iron on material. For the backside you "enveloped" two mangets in the iron on material. Am I close. Beautiful fix too by the way.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Clever solution! BTW my friend could certainly have used your sherpa services on the trip to Paris. She brought the world's largest bag. It weighed something like 35 kg (75 lb) by the time we reached Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I think I get it. You put two magnets on the back of the patch and covered with iron on material. For the backside you "enveloped" two mangets in the iron on material. Am I close. Beautiful fix too by the way.
    Moose
    Bingo!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    Clever solution! *BTW my friend could certainly have used your sherpa services on the trip to Paris. *She brought the world's largest bag. It weighed something like 35 kg (75 lb) by the time we reached Wales.
    Yikes!!! I can't imagine willingly traveling with a 75 lb suitcase! I very occasionally have to when I do quick hit and run fly dates where I don't have enough time to fedEx my work gear and supplies to the gig. It is worth noting that when I do carry a 75 pound suitcase I have enough gear to singlehandedly hang a pickup truck upside down 40 feet in the air!
    Last edited by Miking; 09-21-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Hahaha! I'll point that out to her as almost the only valid reason for having a 75 lb suitcase. Needless to say, i didn't help her shlep it. I had a wheelie due to an unhappy knee but even after excessive shopping it weighed under 22 lb.

This is why I like my Smart Alec. It is very easy to customize it.
    Name:  10318670456_bbeb76920b_c.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  281.8 KB
    Name:  10318653195_f602815463_c.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  296.3 KB
    Name:  10318657915_ed485948bf_c.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  291.5 KB
    Name:  10318626764_9785c63f66_c.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  315.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Nice. I like your choice of patches.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I'm derping a little with the Velcro patches. It's something I'd love to do with my SA, but I'm not sure how you did it, radionokia! Did you attach Velcro to the back of the patches? How are the Velcro strips attached to the SA?

@Ginkgo
    I hove you it. It a couple minutes to make velcro panel. You can put it vertically or horizontally.
    Name:  IMG_2020.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  800.3 KBName:  IMG_2021.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  710.0 KBName:  IMG_2022.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  945.1 KBName:  IMG_2023.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  694.9 KBName:  IMG_2024.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  830.5 KB

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0