Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 2 Post By Rocks

Thread: Synapse 25 Dyneema - smells like sweat

Yam

Synapse 25 Dyneema - smells like sweat

Hello all,

So, I have been happily biking with my new Synapse 25 in Steel Dyneema/Wasabi for over a month now. It's really hot and humid around here, and so when I bike I sweat - a lot. I was worried about the backpack, but at first it didn't seem to smell or hold the sweat - "A miracle!" I thought. Unfortunately, today I smelled something funny, and now the shoulder straps and the entire back of the backpack smell quite strongly.

I found the cleaning instructions here, but I wanted to ask - does anyone have specific ideas on how to deal with sweat/smell in their bags? The bag doesn't have dirt stains or other issues, it's solely the sweat on the shoulder straps and the back mesh/nylon area.

Also, the instructions don't seem to indicate that rubbing is necessary, only soaking - am I reading that correctly?

Also, do these instructions differ at all for Dyneema/nylon bags?

Finally, does washing affect the water-repellency?

Thanks!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Handwashing in Mirazyme should kill the sweat smells. The proprietary ingredients have been known to eradicate cigarette smoke and cat pea, sweat should not be an issue. Soaking should be sufficient, but if it's a heavily padded area that has taken on the smell you may choose to Massage the cleanser though the fabrics and then make sure you rinse well so the cleanser doesn't remain in the thicker areas.
    Darcy likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Yam
    Ok, interesting - I might have to think about getting some of that. Being cheap, I went ahead and tried just washing it with some fragrance-free detergent in a bathtub per the instructions in the FAQ. The process was simple enough and pretty effective generally, although there is still a little smell in certain areas on the mesh - I think I probably didn't massage the foam there thoroughly enough. When I can convince myself to not use the bag for a whole day again (it's humid down here), I'll give it another try. Thanks!

Febreeze it? Lol

Theaters use half cheap (the cheap stuff is best) vodka and half water in a spray bottle to deodorize costumes... Spray it on there liberally. The alcohol evaporates and doesn't leave a scent like Febreeze does. Then with the leftover vodka, you can have a cocktail party. Don't drink the cheap vodka straight though. It is cheap for a reason!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0