Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Pangifone
  • 1 Post By Michou
  • 1 Post By alief

Thread: How to pack dresses

How to pack dresses

Hey ladies! (Or guys too, I guess. I don't judge.)

I wear dresses exclusively, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for the best way to pack a dress. Because of the length, I find them a little more challenging to pack than skirts or tops. Is rolling the way to go? (I've never really liked the idea of rolling.) Or is there any handy tip for how to fold a dress well?

Most of my dresses are pretty low-maintenance, so I'm not super concerned about wrinkles. I'd just like to make sure they don't get ruined (stretched out of shape, for example) and preferably don't look like I've been sleeping in them for a week by the time I pull them out of the suitcase.

(P.S. Hi! I'm new!)

nsh
    Hi! Welcome
    I am a big dress wearer too. I tend to fold a dress in half horizontally, then fold them it in half vertically, then a few gentle rolls depending upon the length before creating a "dress roll" almost like a sushi roll! Then I pop them in my packing cube. To carry the sushi metaphor further- it ends up looking like a tray of sushi when they are all in the cube! I tend to wear lightweight or crushable dresses and can fit several dresses in a single cube. The rolling reduces wrinkles and I never have a problem putting them on right after I unpack.

JLE
    I am not much of a roller, although I occasionally fold then roll tops and workout gear. I use packing cubes and aim to fold to fit the cube as closely as I can.

For jersey or light knit dresses, I tend to fold them like a T shirt or business shirt (fold the sleeves and sides in a little and then fold in half) but with one extra fold to deal with the added length. I try not to travel with dresses that have a complicated construction or draping that might make them harder to fold without creasing (I use tissue paper if I am concerned about creasing). If I need to travel with a really dressy dress (eg I am flying to a formal wedding in October), then I do away with folding and use a lightweight ballistic suit carrier instead, usually with the dress inside a dry cleaning bag to minimise rubbing or creasing.

monkeyluis - I pack nowhere near enough to do the bundle packing. I'll pack maybe 3 dresses (plus undergarments) for a long trip, so I don't think that one's for me.

nsh - I'll give you fold-n-roll a try. I have a packing cube or two around here somewhere that I never use, and that would probably work well. Thanks!

Mmm... sushi...

I'd love to see a picture of your dress sushi. What size cube do you use?
    It's pronounced "Pan-Jiff-Oh-Knee."

JLE - Thanks! I'll give that a try too and see which works better for my particular dresses.

I fold them the same way as nsh...fold in half in one direction, then in half the other then roll and into a packing cube. You end up with fewer wrinkles and you can easily see what is in your packing cube without having to remove anything else.
    Black/Iberian TS, Steel/Steel Synapse, Black/Wasabi LCB, Linen/Steel MCB, Plum/Wasabi SCB, SE, Absolute strap, TT, small YSS, small TSS, Clear organizer wallets (Plum & hemp), TS packing cubes (L, M, S), PCSB, PCSB, Cork OPs, Dyneema OPs in Steel , UV , Iberian , and Solar , Cordura OPs in Plum and Azalea, Plum clear OP, Padded OP, think I'm running out of room here!

After coming home with a few new dresses, I decided to try out some packing attempts. I found myself liking nsh's and Michou's fold-n-roll combo for the majority of my dresses. I had 3 (my suit dress, a dress with a very slippery layer of gauze, and one other dress with a fair bit of structure) that just didn't lend themselves to rolling. I have a packing cube that's 10.5"x7"x4", and I was able to fill it 4 times with my entire dress collection. (Not that I would ever need to travel with all 17 dresses!) Here's how it turned out:

Name:  5 regular dresses.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  901.1 KB
    5 regular dresses

Name:  5 more regular dresses.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  782.6 KB
    5 more regular dresses

Name:  bike dress regular dress maxi dress very ruffled dress.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  812.2 KB
    bike dress, regular dress, maxi dress, very ruffled dress

Name:  suit dress gauzy dress and dress that does not roll well.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  866.1 KB
    suit dress, gauzy dress, and dress that does not roll well

I'm pretty impressed, really. Now I just need to pick which ones get to come with me on my next trip!

Great pictures, Pangifone. I agree, there are some dresses that don't lend themselves to the fold and roll. If I travel with one of those, I will fold and roll the other and put the fold only either on top or under the other dresses in the packing cube. That way everything is still contained.
    JLE likes this.
    Black/Iberian TS, Steel/Steel Synapse, Black/Wasabi LCB, Linen/Steel MCB, Plum/Wasabi SCB, SE, Absolute strap, TT, small YSS, small TSS, Clear organizer wallets (Plum & hemp), TS packing cubes (L, M, S), PCSB, PCSB, Cork OPs, Dyneema OPs in Steel , UV , Iberian , and Solar , Cordura OPs in Plum and Azalea, Plum clear OP, Padded OP, think I'm running out of room here!

Wow, major typos there...that should have read - "If I travel with one of those, I will fold and roll the others and put the fold-only dress either on top or under the other dresses in the packing cube."

nsh
    Hey look, it is a dress sushi roll tray I love it @pangifone!
    I also love that your packing cubes are purple! Mine are decade old black eagle creek. The purple is so alluring.

Sushi dresses or ... wait for it ... BURRITO dresses?

Great pics! Glad you posted them. I like to travel with dresses - so easy to pack and they don't take up much room.
    nsh likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0