Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Washing a TB bag

I've been using Sport Wash for all my backpacking and mountaineering gear for many years.

The last three years, been using Sport Wash for my filthy motorcycle Kevlar mesh pants and jacket.

Great results!

Soak in bathbtub, rinse, carry in a bucket outside to back yard and dry in the warm or cool breeze.

Works every time.

Using it for travel gear as well!

I had an incident at the coffee shop earlier. My iPad mini came out unscathed thanks to my iPad mini cache. I soaked up the latte initially, then dabbed it with water. Now many hours have passed and it smells like latte! Probably tomorrow it'll smell like milk that's gone off, or something worse. What should I use on it, considering it's an 'inner bag' and has the soft lining inside? No latte got through as far as I can tell, and it's not showing a stain, so it's just picking the right product to get rid of the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I had an incident at the coffee shop earlier. My iPad mini came out unscathed thanks to my iPad mini cache. I soaked up the latte initially, then dabbed it with water. Now many hours have passed and it smells like latte! Probably tomorrow it'll smell like milk that's gone off, or something worse. What should I use on it, considering it's an 'inner bag' and has the soft lining inside? No latte got through as far as I can tell, and it's not showing a stain, so it's just picking the right product to get rid of the smell.

I suspect that Darcy will suggest that you soak it in "MiraZyme® Odor Eliminator".
    (I've already ordered and received several packets for an eventual mishap) :-/

I love my Checkpoint Flyer but it's getting kinda grimy after nearly 10 years. I'm planning on removing, and not washing, the laptop case itself but using a little bit of gentle soap, and maybe some Sport Wash for spot cleaning some spots on the outside zipper pockets. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

If your spots on the Checkpoint Flyer are greasy marks, I recommend Goop. It's sold in drugstores, grocery stores, and in automotive supply places. It's really very gentle (I use it on silks!) and it really does bust grease. I think its original use was to clean hands covered with automobile grease from a hard day breaking down engines and transmissions. You use a dab of it dry--no water--and rub it into the spot to be laundered. (For really stubborn stains, you can use a soft toothbrush to help banish the stain.) Then you can wash as normal. In the case of the CF, I'd use a bit of gentle dishsoap or lingerie soap in a large sink or bathtub, swish away and then rinse well.

My Western Flyer got nasty black grease marks on it the one and only time I had to check it. (Go figure...) But Goop got it looking good as new. I won't be without the stuff now--it tackles any greasy food stain on ordinary laundry too!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Do you have any idea whether Goop would work on suede or leather? I'm thinking of the leather iphone and ipad cases I needed to jettison after a year because of oil accumulation from my hands and fingers. I tried leather and suede cleaners. What a joke! The cases were orange and lime green respectively, so hand oil really showed up.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Monkeylady, I have no idea whether Goop would be okay for suede or leather. I wonder if it would tend to strip natural oil out of the leather (though it doesn't seem to do that to the natural lanolin in wool). If you're going to retire/discard them anyway, it might be worth a long shot try.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0