Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Washing a TB bag

Happy to see this thread. I'm having a bag washing emergency!

I'm in Spain, trying how to figure out how to clean vomit off my Synapse and Aeronaut. Thanks to a random woman on the meto for puking on my back and bags. We have only 3 nights before we move cities, and I'm thinking I'll have to spot clean instead of soak, for fear that the bags won't dry in time. I am so grossed out by the fact that all many little crevices and buckles seem to have gotten vomit in them.

5 minutes into my visit to Madrid, and I'm covered in vomit. Gag.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post

I'm in Spain, trying how to figure out how to clean vomit off my Synapse and Aeronaut. Thanks to a random woman on the meto for puking on my back and bags. We have only 3 nights before we move cities, and I'm thinking I'll have to spot clean instead of soak, for fear that the bags won't dry in time. I am so grossed out by the fact that all many little crevices and buckles seem to have gotten vomit in them.

Yikes. This is inspiring me to remember to always bring along a dose of Mirazyme....

For what it's worth, I think you could give the exteriors of the bags a good spray down in the shower and be confident that they'll be dry before you move cities. Pat them down with a towel when you hang them up to dry.
    Last edited by Darcy; 10-18-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    dorayme likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

How unpleasant!!! Maybe buy a cheap toothbrush to help get the crevices cleaner?

Oh my god, how horrible and unfortunate. Second tCook's toothbrush idea. Hope the rest of your visit goes okay.

I expect this kind of thing in Ibiza, not Madrid.... Good luck, you may be able to find mirazyme over there, it is often stocked at outdoor/climbing/hiking/ski shops. Also you should have offered her ginger syrup...

Ugh ugh ugh! I don't have any particular suggestions, just sympathy. Yuck.

If it were me I’d probably take the chance and soak the bags. I suspect they’ll dry or come pretty close to it in three days, but either way for me personally the risk outweighs the gross factor. You might accelerate the drying process by airing the bags outside in the sun or maybe stuffing them with some type of paper. Hopefully someone with specific experience soaking a bag will chime in with drying times.

I second barrylee's advice in soaking the bags, if only to purge the thought of any "remainder" being left for the rest of your trip.

Also, after soaking and rinsing, and soaking and rinsing - perhaps the hotel will lend u a fan to aim at them to accelerate the drying.

Also, on a more philosophical note, perhaps the universe wanted to persuade u to take a detour at some point in that day and this event was the only alternative at the time. So it could have been a blessing in a very dark disguise.

Volunteer Moderator
    With the Aeronaut, I'd follow Darcy's recommendation of trying a shower spray (with tooth brush, as needed), and toweling dry. I'd be confident this would be OK if your Aeronaut were Ballistic nylon instead of Dyneema, but when I wash my Dyneema shop bags they seem to take a bit longer to dry. I think the 400D Dyneema surface will handle this fine, though, if you keep the spray to the outside. With the Synapse in Cordura, you might have to spot clean, it I would stil try to use a shower spray to hose off most of this before cleaning.

What a horrible experience! good luck.

Ugh, sorry that happened to you. I puked red wine all over one of my own Punch Cordura Cafe bags once -- I soaked it in mild detergent and warm water, and scrubbed it with a nail brush (a toothbrush would work too), and it dried in about a day after being toweled off and hung upside-down in the bathroom. Not sure if the drying time would be the same for the larger padded bags though. I'd try hosing them off in the shower and scrubbing pukey areas with a toothbrush first.

Thanks for the words of sympathy and advice. We wound up spot cleaning the Dyneema Aeronaut, as it wasn't hit too hard. The Synapse got it "big time", so we sprayed it down in the bath tub with hot water, Dr. Bronners, and gave all the crevices a good scrub. It feels only damp after 16 hours of drying time, which gives me good confidence that it will be fully dry by our departure day.

The Synapse could still use a good disinfecting soak when I get home, but I feel pretty good about how things are right now.

What an unpleasant experience! Also, super happy to be in an apartment with a washing machine, as my clothes were a disaster! Will look into Mirazyme when I get home!
    --Amanda

Just wanted to give a shout out to the Tom Bihn crew, an anonymous friend, and Mirazyme. My vomited upon bags got a Mirazyme soak a couple of days ago, and they look and smell brand new again. I laid them on a drying rack on my back patio, and they were fully dry in 24 hours. I'm so happy now!
    --Amanda

That is seriously awesome, Amanda! Any bag other than a TB, I probably would have tossed on the spot. So glad they're back to normal!
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

I just read this and I think I actually might cry if that happened to my bags.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

I was going to suggest spot clean with club soda, followed by a powdering of baking soda if you could get your hands on any. Someone off eBay sent me a stained lululemon backpack years ago and thats what I had to do to get rid of all the food stains. Eventually I got rid of it, I couldn't stand looking at it knowing how it arrived at my house. I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end. And I hope you yelled at this person. I would have let her have it so bad, she probably would have puked again. :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0