Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Water bottle attachment for Ristretto

Water bottle attachment for Ristretto

Does anyone have a good way of attaching a water bottle to the outside of the Ristretto? I see there are two loops on the back of the bag, on either side. What would be a good way to attach a water bottle to this? I don't want to use this setup all the time, just when I'm flying, so that I can have a really big water bottle (since I get dehydrated from the dry cabin air).

There are Carabiner clips which fit a water bottle attachment. I don't know if there are ones thin enough to fit into the attaching points and strong enough to hold more than a small bottle.

Maybe Tom could design a webbing that clips on the upper and lower attaching point which could secure a water bottle holder similar to the Quiver.

For now, I would D.I.Y as follows, clip a carabiner fitter with a water bottle holding rubber ring, (you can find them in hardware and outdoor/trekking stores) to the Shoulder Strap.

Which Shoulder Strap do you have?

I've got the Absolute Shoulder Strap. I will just go with my bag to a store and try the carabiners on to see if they work with the loops or the shoulder strap. How would I attach the carabiner to the shoulder strap though?

Never tried it myself but maybe attach some sort of bottle sling like the Chicobags ones here:

http://www.chicobag.com/category/bottle-sling-repete

There are lots of neoprene bottle holders around that may work as well with a little tweaking.

Below is a close up picture of the Absolute Strap

http://www.tombihn.com/mm5/PRODIMG/T...TB0505_04b.jpg

There is ample space to place the carabiner clip on the metal part which hold the Absolute Strap snaphooks below the strap webbing.

If you are using a disposable water bottle, the rubber ring and carabiner clip is the lightest and easiest to use in any circumstances.

A water bottle holder is really cumbersome, I know I bought one, years ago from a non-profit store,

Besides, you said that your primary use was on a plane. It could be counted on as an extra "bag" and you would have to cram it in your personal item or carry on .

A black carabiner with a black rubber or silicon, neck bottle ring. would look like part of the Absolute Shoulder Strap and you can unclip it very fast when it is time to put your carry on in the overhead bin and your personal item under the seat.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-03-2013 at 03:30 PM.

dlg
    Wonder if they'd sell just a couple of the gatekeeper clips. I think the best solution would be something "crafty".

Make something like the sling Proctor linked to, but at the vertical seam for the piece that makes up the height of the sling, stitch in two gatekeepers on a bit of webbing at just the right distance for the two loops on the side of the Ristretto. I've been thinking about this lately, maybe I'll get ambitious.

Not likely. Wonder if Tom could make something to sell as an accessory?

Quote Originally Posted by dlg View Post
    Wonder if they'd sell just a couple of the gatekeeper clips. I think the best solution would be something "crafty".

Make something like the sling Proctor linked to, but at the vertical seam for the piece that makes up the height of the sling, stitch in two gatekeepers on a bit of webbing at just the right distance for the two loops on the side of the Ristretto. I've been thinking about this lately, maybe I'll get ambitious.
    sacls
    Not likely. Wonder if Tom could make something to sell as an accessory?

You know, you just gave me the idea of a bottle cage made of Simple Strap webbing with the same closure(s) as the Yarn and Travel Stuff Sacks

A customization could include Dyneema inserts to carry beverages that cannot be transported in the open, or need to be protected from the sun such as baby bottles and juices.

Another insert made of taslan or another fabric could provide isolation from the heat or cold.
    Zoe Zuo likes this.

Some suggestions:

I use the following 2 items for holding water bottles:

1) Lee Valley Tools - Important Announcement
    I use this to hold any water bottles I purchase. You can replace the Carabiner if it is too thick with a smaller one to fit the loops at the back of your Ristretto.
    There are many choices of carabiner from MEC or any Outdoor Equipment store. You can get a few to hold many 500ml bottles

2) SealLine® Water Bottle Pocket
    I use this one because, unlike most other bottle holders, it has the flexibility of 2 directional attachment options:
    - a button snap loop for clamping on to a horizontal attachment and a velcro loop for clamping on to a vertical attachment
    If you want to see the back, google Sealline Water Bottle Pocket and look at some of the pictures of it
    If you use the velcro option and wrap it tightly inbetween the absolute strap loop (the strap loops around the end hook and then to a plastic clip creating a loop), it holds very well
    Only minus is if you put your bag down, you need to be careful your bottle does not flip upside down!

I use both these options with my Vertical Brain Cell - attaching them to the loops that would attach to the annex clips when I carry it on its own. I love the minimalist use of the Brain Cell with these attachements.

Hope this helps give you more ideas.

Cheers!

dlg
    OK, we're half way there :]

Smart Alec Modular Pockets & Straps - Modular Pockets and GateKeeper Straps - TOM BIHN

Now maybe a "lower pocket" without a top, sized for an insulated klean kanteen, with two gatekeeper clips spaced for a Ristretto? eh? eh?

Whaddya say? <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by dlg View Post
    OK, we're half way there :]

Smart Alec Modular Pockets & Straps - Modular Pockets and GateKeeper Straps - TOM BIHN

Now maybe a "lower pocket" without a top, sized for an insulated klean kanteen, with two gatekeeper clips spaced for a Ristretto? eh? eh?

Whaddya say? <grin>

I didn't know about those awesome additions!

The Lower Pocket is exactly what I was describing, except it is even more wonderful because it can "fit two 1-liter water bottles, or one water bottle and other stuff, or just a lot of other stuff. Inside are two o-rings and an open-top organizer pocket sized for a wallet."

I am saying use it as is add 1 Long Key Straps on each side to the middle Gatekeeper Clips and 1 Short Key Strap to each upper Gatekeeper Clips.

So the Lower Pocket and 2 Long as well as 2 Short Key Straps and voila! A water bottle/lunch holder transferable to any Tom Bihn Bag!

dlg
    Is this a hint that I'm better off trying something myself? :]
    Parts - Replacement or extra parts for your bag - TOM BIHN

Additional Ideas

After a little more digging I found this:

Civilian Labs Ghost Ring Bottle Holder

Civilian Lab_ Progressive Packs, Bags & Gear

http://www.civilianlab.com/ghost_rin...ring_cu001.jpg

Check out the ITS Skeletonized Bottle Holder. It can be used for more than just bottles.ITS Skeletonized Bottle Holder

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0