Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How to deal with the Evolution of a Packed Bag on a Trip?

As a follow up to my key strap comment, I clip both ends to the zipper. It make a much smaller loop to deal with and still color codes things for me. Not as fancy as different colored bags but it is an easy and budget friendly alternative.

I also recently found some sizeable shoe bags at a summer fair. For a dollar a piece (donated to charity) I got four. They work well too.
    Moose
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

@backpack:

Good point--we do want Tom to keep using the best webbing available. I figured it would be easier to source colored webbing than it would be to source lots of different colors of Dyneema. White all-fabric packing cubes in all three sizes would solve my problem simplest--here's hoping they release them!

@Moose:

Both ends of the keystrap attached to the zipper = genius! Thanks for sharing that tip.
    Moose likes this.

I forgot, the end pocket Aeronaute has the exact dimensions of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.

The double sided Packing Cube is the Clear Quarter Packing Cube and the smaller Packing Cubes can be replaced with the 3D Cubes and Travel Stuff Sacks.

I don't like mesh much and figured, some time ago, how to replace the Packing Cubes with the color coded Clear Quarter Packing Cubes, 3D Cubes and Yarn Stuff Sacks, then, when they were introduced, the Travel Stuff Sacks.

Thanks for all the great tips in this thread. Like everyone else, I have found having an array of TB pacing cubes / pouches / sacks essential to keeping everything organized. I also try to not stuff my bags on the outbound trip to allow room for expansion as I travel.

One strategy I just used on a two and a half week trip to Alaska was to mail packages home from the road. I mailed a few boxes, some of which contained dirty laundry and some containing gifts and souvenirs I picked up. The US Postal service has flat rate priority mail which costs $12.35 for a medium size box (13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8") or $16.85 for a large box (23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3"). That rate is good anywhere in the US and for any weight which fits into the box. You must use the USPS supplied (free!) flat rate boxes available at the Post Office. There are international flat rate shipping options too, but they are more costly. It was nice to carry lighter bags on the way home and have no worries about bag evolution!

I have a nice laundry bag that folds into it's own pocket which I got at target years ago. It was cheap and is a draw string bag. Problem solved!

Dear Backpack,
    Do you mind sharing your color coding system?
    Synapse 25 Steel D/Wasabi, Side Effects: Black/Wasabi, Steel D/Wasabi; PCSBs in UV, wasabi, and steel; Large Shop Bags: 2 Nordic, 2 Solar; 2 sm. Shop Bag UV; CoPilot Black D/Wasabi; black D/wasabi Pilot; 3 Travel Trays; 3 Clear 1/4 packing cubes;
    wallets; number padded pouches and clear organizer pouches, key straps, double carabiners galore, and soon to be the mother of an aubergine/UV SE AND an Aeronaut Junior!!!!!!!!! (Darcy says soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Dear Backpack,
    Do you mind sharing your color coding system?
    I use Steel and UV because I love the colors. UV is for my things and Steel for my husband, the color is subtle enough that he doesn't mind carrying/using the bags and accessories made of it.

This is why I rebelled at the announcement of Steel discontinuity, but it turned out to be considered only for the 400D Dyneema.

I have the majority of the UV accessories, I used them with the 400 Dyneema Aeronaute on my last spring trip. I am a Plus Size.

The Steel accessories were used inside the Tristar for my husband clothes. He wears Medium size outfits.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-12-2013 at 12:14 PM.

I bring a brand new plastic garbage bag (Costco or Hefty brand are my faves). I fold the dirty laundry just like I fold the clean laundry. It's just the that clean stuff goes into a packing cube and the dirty stuff goes into the garbage bag. Once I'm home, the clothes go in the proper laundry bin and the bag lines the garbage can. No muss, no fuss.

Thanks, Backpack, for the scoop on your color system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Synapse 25 Steel D/Wasabi, Side Effects: Black/Wasabi, Steel D/Wasabi; PCSBs in UV, wasabi, and steel; Large Shop Bags: 2 Nordic, 2 Solar; 2 sm. Shop Bag UV; CoPilot Black D/Wasabi; black D/wasabi Pilot; 3 Travel Trays; 3 Clear 1/4 packing cubes;
    wallets; number padded pouches and clear organizer pouches, key straps, double carabiners galore, and soon to be the mother of an aubergine/UV SE AND an Aeronaut Junior!!!!!!!!! (Darcy says soon.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0