Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How to deal with the Evolution of a Packed Bag on a Trip?

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar6 View Post
    Me thinks it was added today....
    I guess that might 'Splain it then.

This must be my lucky day?
    All I had to do was ask this time and....BAM! New Product?
    Last edited by AVService; 07-17-2012 at 05:22 PM.

I also keep a couple of grocery bags handy when traveling for a couple of days and use one for laundry.

However, that method has not worked very well for a week in an area without an immediate laundry facility.

It was totally inadequate, when spending a month or more, on assignment, even in laundry equipped dwellings.

The proverbial plastic grocery bags,are hard to beat, cost wise, but are very awkward to use as your laundry items seem to want to escape from them,

I have used a Smart Alec sided fabric hamper, which is fine for bringing back clean small garments which don't mind wrinkles, it protect them in the sparse drawers provided for storage.

But laundry and packing always need sorting and until today's Travel Stuff Sacks' introduction, I seriously considered placing a Large Yarn Stuff Sacks order for that purpose.

Large Stuff Sacks are needed in the yarn wrangling department so having the Travel Stuff Sacks just foro travel organization is great.

I always take a little needlework projects even on errants day and of course on travel, the Yarn Stuff Sack is great for that but the oval shape of the Travel Stuff Sacks is complete genius for great fit into any bag.

The Travel Stuff Sacks beauty shots are lovely, where is the gorgeous background?

I know, I am, we are completely spoiled by Darcy's great composition and items presentation.

Would it be possible to add the picture of a familiar object like a CD case, a paperback book or a map next to each size of the Travel Stuff Sacks?

Backpack, I concur with your grocery bag assessment, it just doesn't bother me that much.

I will confess at the end of long trips when there are laundry facilities available I wash everything so I don't have to do laundry when I get home. Does this make me a special kind of crazy?
    TavaPeak and nsh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar6 View Post
    Backpack, I concur with your grocery bag assessment, it just doesn't bother me that much.

I will confess at the end of long trips when there are laundry facilities available I wash everything so I don't have to do laundry when I get home. Does this make me a special kind of crazy?
    I think it is much smarter to do it that way but I usually have socializing activities planned up to the time of departure.
    So any laundry has to be done the evening before departure usually there is simply no time or I am too tired, I usually have to do laundry the day of arrival or a days later, if I am very jet lagged.

JLE
    I use different containment methods for dirty laundry, depending on which bag I am using, but I always re-fold or roll all soiled items before packing them. Just cramming them in always results in a packing crisis for me, usually one of the "why won't this zipper close any more?" variety!

I use the hotel room laundry bags every single time. However, one thing that I do different that works wonders for me is I fold ALL the dirty clothes as if I was starting the trip. All these neatly folded clothes, plus single socks (dirty) laid out flat on top of the bundle of clothes, go into the laundry bag as neatly and flat as possible. Pressing down hard on the bag creates a somewhat similar effect to compression bags -maybe not quite-, but all my dirty clothing goes into my Western Flyer without taking any more space than when I started.

Hope this helps.

any bag i use i drop in an Alpkit airlock Xtra , this is a slim dry bag with its own carrying strap.
    it can hold dirty/ used items also if i drop a little shampoo in a bit of water add clothes swing it around , kick it around the floor,then turn out contents into the shower to rinse things come out washed perfectly with little effort or time,also a great bag to seperate dirty use items

also the bag can extend my load carrying,be a packliner,a resting mat for laying kit out on wet/dirty ground when i need to empty the main bag ,when done the simply turn it inside out and drop it back in the main bag.
    if im going into a rough area and think my main bag looks two nice ,I drop all in the dry bag and throw that over my shoulder.
    I fold it double and use it to sit on wet ,cold benches at train/bus stations,ive filled it with ice and carried beer in it,lines all my cases and used as a beach bag,sandy wet items have their mess contained

The reason i use this dry bag for the above needs are cheap, light,very strong and durable,100% water tight ,variable load carry lets say i was carring an awkward size item like a tube of wrapping paper this will extend and cover but if i was wishing to cary some fresh fish from the market , the dry bag will roll down to the size if the fish ( if you let the air out as you roll by leaning more to one side) also it contains the mess and smell and you throw it in a washing machine to clean.

I highly reccomend carrying a dry bag in any other main bag, just ensure its a light weihht one with its own strap.

To the OP:

I've wondered this very same thing, and I've emailed TB with a product suggestion: make all the all-fabric packing cubes in a different color than steel grey. If you remember, the packing cubes used to be available in every then-available shade of Dyneema. But that's a lot of SKUs and a lot of scheduling challenges to manufacture all the packing cube sizes in every shade of Dyneema, especially now.

So I made these three suggestions:

1) make only one other color than steel, and make it a neutral color that everybody will be happy with, such as lighter grey or WHITE (for clean, the darker steel is for dirty).

OR

2) make it so that the little nylon webbing handle on the steel packing cube is the only thing that comes in different colors, presumably a rainbow of colors to widen the color-coding possibilties

OR

3) make it so that people can easily attach color coding themselves, such as using Ego/Super Ego stripes on the packing cubes themselves, etc.

Any one of these methods would give us the dirty/clean color coding system at least. The rainbow handles method allows for even more options, like pink = dirty underwear, white = clean underwear, blue = formal outerwear, green = dirty shirts, yellow = clean shirts, orange = clean leisure outerwear, purple = dirty leisure outerwear, black = shoes.

----

Currently, I use two of every size of packing cube, one that goes with me completely empty and one that has the clean clothes (to start). As the trip progresses, the dirty clothes get packed into the formerly empty cube. Together, the two cubes always stay the same thickness, because the clothes just move from one to the other. Figuring out which cube is which is done by opening and looking.
    Last edited by dchang0; 07-25-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Prehaps different colored key straps attached to zipper pulls would make enough of a difference to indicate which bag is which.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Or only one keystrap to signify dirty clothes....

The Packing Cube Backpacks are perfect for that!

They already come in 5 colors and 7 colors of Key Straps, that should be enough for even the most challenging color coding!

@backpack:

Funny that you mention the packing cube backpacks. I have two that I carry regularly with me; the fact that it has zippers is what I used to distinguish its contents from the all-fabric packing cubes that are the same color steel but don't have straps/zippers. But the packing cube backpacks are considerably more expensive than the regular packing cubes; it's not a great option for everybody to buy two of them...

----
    Re: keystraps
    The keystrap idea is a good one, although the big problem with keystraps is that even the shortest one is a bit long for the purpose of color coding. Anybody here who has keystraps knows that sometimes it can be a pain to have to grab them to stuff them into a compartment before zipping that compartment up--they always seem to find their way into the craw of the zipper's teeth. The second biggest problem is that one would have to find the keystrap that corresponds to the packing cube in question--it would take a bit to trace all the keystraps back to their parent packing cubes.

With color-coding that is built into the packing cubes themselves, either as the fabric color or as the handle color, there's no need to corral the keystraps, especially if TB chooses to simply put out white versions of the packing cubes.

I carry a pillow case and use that to confine dirty clothes. As others have mentioned, rolling or folding the clothes helps keep them compact. On a few occasions, I have substituted a string backpack for easy transport to a water source.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Many Tom Bihn customers have already came up with D.I.Y color coding. One used paracords to color code each zipper.

A yarn remnant, a length of ribbon, raffia, twine or thin length of fabric (which quilters and dress makers have plenty of) can be used to color code regular Packing Cubes zippers which spend their time inside bags so do not need waterproof quality.

For outside zippers, paracord and plastic ribbons work well.

The webbing handles are -not made- of cheap nylon available by the mile, rough to the touch, prone to fraying and dye bleed.

I believe the webbing handles fabric is either custom made or sourced from the best webbing supplier in the world.

The Tom Bihn webbing handles are the Roger Thornhill of holding stuff, the same way he held on to Eve Kendall.

The Packing Cubes have only been available in Steel, White or Clear is coming soon, I think.

There is no Large or Medium Packing Cubes in all fabric, it might be an idea for the Tom Bihn Crew to pursue.

Because I want all fabric Packing Cube, I bought the Packing Cube Backpacks. I bought them over a number of orders.

My first, the Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaut, in Steel was used extensively, as a backpack over the course of many very hot summers, before the Synapse 19 was introduced.
    RhoFro likes this.

I have eagle creek double sided packing cubes. One side is plastic lined They are built so that they can be totally filled on the clean side or on the dirty side or part and part. I wish Tom would make double sided ones!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0