Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Absolute strap - which way round?

Absolute strap - which way round?

OK, I'm going to make myself sound really dumb by asking this, but why change the habit of a lifetime...

When you use the Absolute Shoulder Strap, which way round should it go? I assumed that you would wear it with the inside of the curve facing inwards, towards your neck, this seems the most natural.

However I also tried it the other way around (inside of the curve facing outwards towards your shoulder) and that's really comfortable. However that way round it is also easier for it to slip off your shoulder.

Which way around do you use yours?

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    In a hurry I have picked it up both ways. When I am arranging it to wear for a longer period I position it inside curve towards my neck and outside curve towards my shoulder.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Yes, I guess that's the regular way of wearing it. Do you think it was designed to be used this way?

I've always worn curved shoulder straps with the inside of the curve towards my shoulder - I find they fit my shoulder better that way and it allows more ease of movement. But, I guess it's whatever works best for you.

I think it's more comfortable like that, but easier to slip of your shoulder (at least mine). I'll have another play next time the bag's fully loaded.

I thought about it a little more and I realized, for me, it depends on whether or not I am wearing it cross body or not. If I am just putting it over my shoulder and not across my body, either direction is fine as long as the grip side is down to keep it on my shoulder. If I wear it cross body, I arrange it more carefully to ensure that the curve follows my neck, it cuts in less and offers a more ergonomic support.
    The original Absolute had no curve, seeing as how some carry their bag with it facing in and some with it facing out, it seems like the original is still a great design that would work for many.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

My Absolute Strap is the older straight one, but my old laptop bag has a curved strap. Usually the inside curve faces the shoulder and the outer curve is towards the neck. The reason for this is when the bag hangs, the ends of the straps will angle out away from the body to a natural position of where the bag would be. If you looked in a mirror, a straight line down from where the strap is on your shoulder is where your hip is now and the bag is away from the center of your body. If you wear the strap with the inside curve towards the neck, when the bag hangs, the strap will not lay flat on your shoulder and the part towards your neck will have the most pressure. Having said all that, dorayme is probably right about cross body carrying, though.
    Aeronaut (crimson) with Absolute Strap, Synapse (navy), Smart Alec (black/steel/solar), Shop Bag (solar), cache for MBP, cache for iPad2, and numerous pouches and key straps.

I struggle with this all the time.

Mostly because I wear mine cross body typically on my ristretto. On my left shoulder as well. When I do that, the curve points out and the TomBihn logo is on my back.

That's why I struggle, that little Tom Bihn logo is always facing the back ... drives me nuts.
    Expat living in Japan
    iPad RistrettoAeronautSynapseLg Shop Bag • lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!
    FlickrBlog
    Now ... what else do I "need" ...

Does anyone else have a problem with the Absolute Strap being too "bouncy"? Or am I somehow using it wrong? When I sling it on one shoulder (or both for that matter), the "bounce" seems out of rhythm with my walk and throws off my stride and I end up breathless. Am I wearing it too long - or too short? Any ideas?
    Cocoa/wasabi LCB, black/wasabi MCB & SCB, steel/solar Aeronaut, Absolute Shoulder Strap, 5 packing cubes, olive Clear Organizer Wallet, turquoise & wasabi large clear organizer pouches, plum & black pen/pencil organizer pouches, 5 Clear/Cordura Organizer Pouches (mini & small/assorted colors), azalea 3-D Clear Organizer Cube, lapis blue & iberian Ultrasuede Screen Cloths, solar Travel Tray, 5 key straps (assorted lengths/colors), red/blue Strapeez, red Guardian Dual Function Light

Quote Originally Posted by kcarroll55 View Post
    Does anyone else have a problem with the Absolute Strap being too "bouncy"? Or am I somehow using it wrong? When I sling it on one shoulder (or both for that matter), the "bounce" seems out of rhythm with my walk and throws off my stride and I end up breathless. Am I wearing it too long - or too short? Any ideas?
    I'm still enjoying the bouncing and thinking "wow, all that force would be coming down on my shoulder if not for the bounce." Sometimes I stabilize the Aeornaut with a hand, or use the Super Ego waist straps if I need to walk really fast. Definitely in the camp that wears the strap with the inside of the curve towards my neck, straps going across the body (if bag is just hanging off a single shoulder, then it matters less to me).

Curved portion towards my neck when wearing the bag as a regular shoulder bag. It lets me "shoulder" more weight for the bag towards my shoulder muscles.

HOWEVER, when wearing a bag cross-body style, I switch, so that the strap curves around my neck like a horse collar. Feels better balanced that way.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I've thought about this too. I find it more comfortable though the outside of the curve outwards towards my shoulder.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Quote Originally Posted by kcarroll55 View Post
    I have had an absolute strap for a whole week, so I am still getting used to it. The bounce was a little confusing at first but I played with the length and carry position ( more towards the back than the side) and that helped alot. I carry a little higher than most, and also notice the bounce is less noticeable with a cross body carry. Of course your mileage may vary, but this is what is working for me.

As onebag.com writes:

A wider strap (at least the part that is in contact with your shoulder) is more comfortable than a narrower one. Adjust the length such that the bag doesn't hang below your waist. And, periodically, move the bag to the opposite shoulder.
    Passing the strap over your head, messenger style, to rest on the shoulder further from the bag, is easier on your back (I know, it looks a bit dorky, so you probably won't do it, but it is the better choice).
    If you're using a curved strap (like newer versions of Bihn's "Absolute Shoulder Strap"), appreciate that there is a right and a wrong way to deploy such a design. So if you want to look like you know what you're doing (and I see plenty of travellers who don't), position the strap such that the concave side (the shorter one) is closer to the bag.
    K_SA likes this.

Verysimple, for curved straps, I'm assuming the shorter side is towards the bag when you carry cross body, but when it is not cross body and on the same shoulder as the bag, shouldn't the short side be facing towards you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0