Shorter straps on Side Effect

Please note that I know how to shorten the straps to make the Side Effect wearable around my waist. The thing is... I'm a fairly small person. Once I have the strap wearable at the waist, I have extra length of strap dangling down to a couple inches above my knees. It's silly looking, long enough to get caught in doors, and, in the wearing position, the straps don't tuck neatly into the back of the bag.

Is there a good way to cut off the extra length and restitch or glue or melt or something the cut ends? I don't want to mangle my new bag, but as it is I'm just not thrilled to wear it. I could wear it as a shoulder bag, but the whole point was to get the strap of a purse off my shoulder.

Thanks for the help, all!
    Last edited by Sera; 07-13-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Grammatical flub

Hi Sera,
    You could try just wrapping it up in a rubber band and tucking it up behind strap. You could also try a strapezze. I don't have any so maybe someone that has one could tell you if that would work, it just looks to me like it should. There are also little gizmos called Web Dominators, I use them on my loose floppy straps. Please let us know what you decide for a fix.
    Take it easy,
    Moose
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.