Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darcy

Thread: Can cork be cleaned?

Can cork be cleaned?

I know that generally Tom Bihn bags can be gently handwashed and air dried. But what about cork? I just spent a month and a half in China with my beloved cork and steel Imago and the cork insert is quite a bit darker except where the buckle protected it. I think it is grime rather than natural air darkening. I was thinking about trying a dilute solution of Murphy's Oil Soap, which is what we use to clean our cork kitchen floor. Is there a better recommendation?
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I would not use anything on it until you get an official response.

Because the Cork fabric is thin enough that it can be pliable, the oil could get into the backing fabric and ruin it.

50/50 water and bleach

I clean the cork on my gloomis rods all the time

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I'd recommend using a warm, damp washcloth with a very small amount of mild soap. Let us know how that works.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Here is someone cleaning their cork sandals with pictures:

http://www.nitrolicious.com/blog/200...-cork-sandals/

So this morning I decided it was time to try to spiff up the Imago and clean the cork. I got a nice fluffy washcloth, a microfiber car cleaning cloth, a dish of warm water, another dish of warm water mixed with a few drops of Woolite, and sat down to start.

The plan was--start with the least invasive--damp washcloth with just water--and work up to the riskier stuff (soapy water, the microfiber cloth). Well, I never had to resort to anything but the damp washcloth. I used slow, firm strokes across the front panel and the grime came off. Now that it's dried, I can see maybe an imaginary difference between the cork under the buckle and the cork on the exposed surface. It's pretty much good as new.

Thanks Darcy, for your sage advice. I'm happy to report that the cork cleaned up just fine.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    flitcraft: Glad it worked!

There are different kinds of cork out there, so folks with our cork bags: please don't try anything else but a warm wash cloth and, if necessary, a small amount of mild dish soap.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0