Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Non-Clear All Fabric Organizer Wallet

I spotted a Non-Clear/All-Fabric Organizer Wallet last week in the eBay and am very interested to understand it more.

I never know there was such a Non-Clear Organizer Wallet, ever being built/sold by Tom Bihn. I even have try to search the Forum for some information but unfortunately no luck.

Would someone kind enough to share more details?

Thanks you,
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, FBPW, MCB, OP/L
    Olive/Green: SC, SCB, DOP/M, COP/M

BC V S1, H M2

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Non-Clear All Fabric Organizer Wallet

I think they only ever made the non-clear front wallet in Navy cordura. The last run of it had dark grey and leaf green dividers... The eBay one is an older one, since the dividers are cayenne (?). I have one and use it for name cards and loyalty cards.

Forum Member
    Thanks @adalangdon.
    Could I assumed your purchase was last year? If yes, it wasn't that "antique" as I thought it was.

*Going to send an inquiry email to Tom Bihn, right away to see any hidden stock somewhere in Store.

BC V S1, H M2

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Thanks @adalangdon.
    Could I assumed your purchase was last year? If yes, it wasn't that "antique" as I thought it was.
    Yeah. I think they ran out sometime from July to September . . .

Could we have more fabric front wallets please? ;_;
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-12-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Forum Member
    Thanks again @adalangdon.
    I wonder why Tom Bihn does not consider more basic color option for Non-Clear version? I really wish for a Black/Navy/Steel Parapack version!

Not that I dislike Cordura, just that - Cordura easier get dirty. My Wasabi Mini Organizer Pouch, used everyday in my Pant's Pocket, plus in Humid Condition and I don't normally work in Air-Conditioning Premise.

Nevertheless, will get a Cordura Wallet first.

BC V S1, H M2

Forum Member
    Just wish to update this Thread, after I got email response from TB Staff.

Unfortunately, All-Fabric Organizer Wallet had been sold out and there is no plan to bring it back.

Another retired design or option.

BC V S1, H M2

Volunteer Moderator
    @weirdguy, The Navy (Cordura) Fabric version of the Clear Organizer wallet was available for at least 5 years -- starting from a few weeks after the original announcement post in March 2009 Clear Organizer Wallet Now Shipping! and continuing through at least to a year ago, somthis was definitely not an "antique" pouch. In that period, I can only recall maybe two posts requesting other color options. I remember @adalangdon's posts about ordering this version of the wallet, and asking for more fabric options, but I believe that a big factor behind that was her dislike for the stickiness of the current versions of clear Urethane. They also had Dyneema versions of the wallets (in Steel and Solar) back in 2009, before these were offered again around late January 2014. Any Clear Organizer Wallets ordered in 2009 or 2010 -- or with the flap color combinations shown in that eBay wallet of Cedar and Forest green Ultrasuede -- would have come with non-sticky Clear Urethane. (There were a few other flap color combinations that used non-sticky clear Urethane, too.

Those were the flap colors used at the time the new Cork, Hemp, Cocoa Ultrasuede, and Kiwi Ballistic Nylon COWs debuted in 2010. Here's a quote from an old post in May 2010:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yup, the Clear organizer wallet is the same size as the Mini Organizer Pouch -- which you can get as a Cordura, Clear, Padded, or Cork organizer pouch (without the ultrasuede dividers). They also make one of the wallets with a solid navy fabric front (instead of clear urethane), but with the ultrasuede dividers. In addition to Cordura and Dyneema, the wallets are now available in Cork, Cacao Ultrasuede, Kiwi Ballistic Nylon, and Hemp/Rubber.
    (Note that the old blog post links no longer work due to the web pages redesign of a few years ago.) Parapack COWs were only offered starting late January 2104. given the lack of general requests for more all-fabric COWs in that 5-year period, I don't think it's surprising that they didn't offer the combination you described in Parapack.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Thanks @moriond for your details explanation. Sigh, how I wish I know Tom Bihn much earlier. It is really unfortunate that the demand for fabric COWs for the 5 years periods weren't as expected but I could understand the current decision to focus on COWs only.

I have a few COP in different sizes but I am not fond of the Clear Urethane. It is stiffer and sticky - the same reason as @adalangdon mentioned. The Clear Urethane side isn't that bad, just that I find it hinder my experience or the way I prefer to carry my small Cash in.

Also, @Moriond, while reading your posts especially about there was ever a "Solar" Dyneema option. Hopefully, you meant Solar fabric COWs. I couldn't help to imagine how "Solarful" it would be! If anyone here has Solar fabric COWs and/or Parapack fabric COWs, please feel free to post photos and/or share your experience/love for it.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 04-13-2015 at 10:15 PM.

BC V S1, H M2

Volunteer Moderator
    @weirguy and Others,

The change to using stickier Urethane is described in my old forum post in the Question about the Urethane used thread. The first link In that post to the post (#17) in the A new use for clear pouches thread does not work under the current forum query parsing, so I've hand edited it here (simply removing the question mark in the middle of the URL string will make it work correctly). For those people who don't care to read the discussion, here's the picture example showing the difference between the "clear" and "slightly cloudy" versions of Urethane back in 2010:

The present version of Urethane is clearer than either of the versions shown, and thinner, but also stickier. My older Clear Organizer Wallets (including all the ones I have in Cork and Hemp), and older 3D Clear Organizer Cubes (any ones made before they added the plastic hanger), and clear pockets on older Swift/Little Swift models are all non-sticky. The changeover came in 2011, about the time they introduced the Azalea Cordura color, I think, since all of my Azalea accessories are made with the stickier Urethane.

On the subject of Dyneema Clear Organizer Wallets, the Dyneema was used as the backing material, just as with the current Cordura and Ballistic Nylon, and the previous Parapack COWs. Here's a picture from one of my posts (#412) in the middle of the long The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014! thread:

Steel Dyneema was omitted from this picture because I was trying to show the range of colors, and how good an issue of 200d Dyneema Side Effects would look with the new Pilots. The Cardinal (Ballistic Nylon) COW was shown as a stand-in for Iberian, since they never made an Iberian Dyneema COW to my knowledge, and it wasn't a color option in the batch of Dyneema COWs that was issued in late January 2014

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-14-2015 at 05:47 AM.

Forum Member
    @Moriond, I had read through most of your links. I got a feeling that I am in trouble or some sort because you have to repeat yourself again. If this is really the case, very sorry

Anyway, I'd actually had learn about this "Cloudy" urethane before in the Forum, should be last year. But I didn't learn that the Slightly Cloudy version was actually less sticky than the current "Clear" version. Oh well, very good insights. Thanks you very much for the info again.

BC V S1, H M2