Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Pilot vs. Zephyr as an EDC

Perhaps this is a discussion that's been had -- but would be interested in hearing ground-level opinions on this, as I've analyzed the specs/photos of each to death.

Intent is to use as a commuter/OTS bag, on sidewalks, subways, the urban jungle (NYC) and maybe even on bike every once in a while --- and one that could double as a versatile casual and 'business' casual bag; nothing too stiff looking is required, esp. in the creative world. (That said, backpacks, or the ones I've used at least, seemed to not do -- and not appropriately fit my age).

Only carry: 13" MBA, a few reads/books, iPhone, pens, etc. Nothing too substantial.

Besides the obvious differences in dimension and the "hefty" feel factor, thoughts on the differences between the two? I've used the ID before and am not a fan, so it's come down to these two, which can both be gripped like a briefcase, carried over the shoulder, etc. (read on another post about using the Pilot with the strap across body option, which is intriguing). Should I wait it out for a "new" bag on the horizon or...?

I'm assuming you're not interested in the LCB?

I LOVE MY PILOT

Check out some of my older posts & pics of my Navy Pilot with all the accessories. I use it for my EDC (w/ 13" MBA in cache), as well as one bag carry-on for overnight trips. Packing cubes work great!
    Forrest Green Tri-Star, Navy/Solar PILOT, w/13" MBA cache, Large Shop Bag, various colorful pouches, straps, sacks, 3D mesh, large Dyneema org. cubes and Olive SE. Black Dyneema Daylight BP. As always, more TB stuff on order!

Forum Member
    I like my Pilot and can't stand messenger type bags that have a flap covering an opening. I like to unzip and go.

Love my Zephyr for "substantial". It carries a ton of heavy reference books, no problem. (Also with a Breve, no longer available, for my iPad.). Great protection on side, sturdy handle. Have to squash it a bit to stand it up under an airplane seat. If I carry a smaller EDC load, however, I use my Imago. I'd probably use a Pilot for what you describe. Hope to get one someday.

IMHO

Based on your carry, a Pilot would be perfect for you. The Zephyr is great but overkill if only carrying a 13" MBA. The Zephyr is more for carrying the 15" MBP and if you need to carry a lot of thick items.

Carry wise, I use the Pilot as my EDC and surprisingly found that I liked carrying it cross-body and courier style (angled on my back). It is very light on my back and I feel I am not carrying anything when I have it on me. It really frees up my body and hands. You really cannot do this with a Zephyr.

Here is a picture of my Pilot worn cross-body with a Q-AM strap. Note that is very full as I do carry a lot - your carry would reduce the thickness by at least a third IMHO.

Here is a video of @weirdguy wearing his Pilot cross-body as well:

Wearing TB Pilot Cross-Body

Remember to get a cache or some sleeve if getting a Pilot - it does not have any native padding like the Zephyr (note - if laptop protection is you chief concern, the Zephyr wins hands down).

Another option if you do not mind the messenger flap thing is the Ristretto which has a build-in cache. It has a vertical orientation which is good in crowded areas, public transit, etc.

Hope this help

Cheers!

Edit: Forgot to mention - the Cadet could also be a good option - it is a very slim and nice looking bag that can be worn cross-body as well. See this review:

Tom Bihn Cadet Laptop Bag Review
    Last edited by tpnl; 04-10-2015 at 11:12 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!