Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Passport pouch as super minimal purse?

I haven't seen the passport pouch in person, but do you think this would work as a super minimal purse? There are times when even a SCB seems like too much, when I really just need my ID and a couple of credit cards. It would be nice to wear it cross-body, like a wallet with a strap. Do you think this would fit the bill? Thanks!

The smallest I can do for a minimal purse is the 3d fabric organizer. I need to carry reading glasses all the time. And I usually like to have tissues and my phone.
    So far: SE in black/iberian and coyote/steel, SSB in black dyneema, Steel dyneema/steel Pilot, Vintage Buzz in black, PCSB and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag which would be a slightly larger Night Flight or a slightly smaller Skookum duffle.

I do the 3D fabric Organizer pouches as a purse too sometimes. The Passport Pouch tents to rub of a bit of that silver inner lining that protects your stuff from data-stealing. You can wipe it of, but it would annoy me on my phone.
    I have a navy Parapack 3D as a purse for phone, mp3-player, cards and cash. I even sometimes wear it with a doubled shoulder-strap form the Side Effect around my hips as a mini Side Effect. You did look at the Side Effects too? They work great as a cross body too but leave extra room for some cleanex and your keys.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    I love the Side Effect as a cross-body minimalist purse. Smaller than that, I have to go with Bagallini, or something from 31bags, or one of the PacSafe wallets. I love the Orings in the SE to keystrap in a COW, etc.

I do have a SE that I love and use often, but I was thinking of times when I basically need a wallet with a crossbody strap.

Forum Member
    Yes, I know what you mean . . . for that, I have a Bagallini and a PacSafe that I really like a lot . . . and they both have the RFID blocking . . . I got them both on Amazon. Hoping TB will make something similar one day. Would love a TB RFID wallet similar to the size & organization of the PacSafe one - holds passport, cash, credit cards, coins, pen, & i can even zip up my iPhone in it. I understand there is velcro on the TB Passport Pouch, but I really like a zipper, just seems more secure. I don't know about the silver lining that llkyway was talking about, but I wouldn't like that either.
    Last edited by chinalake; 03-26-2015 at 09:55 AM.

I haven't seen one in person, either. But logistically, it seems like it might work, if you're really not carrying anything else. Replace the neck strap with the 5/8" shoulder strap and you're good to go? (I rarely leave home without ID, credit card, iPhone, and keys, so I think the smallest TB product I could get away with would be the 3DOC.)

My concern would've been with security/no top closure, but I see now that it does have a velcro top. I'm sure this does a fine job of keeping the contents secure.
    Last edited by bermudajes; 03-26-2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: removed irrelevant comment
    travel light.
    live light.
    spread the light.
    be the light.

Forum Member
    I have a passport pouch and can see how it would work as a super-minimal purse. You could definitely fit cash, a couple cards and a key in it. Although the closure is velcro, it runs across the whole length and does offer some resistance opening, plus you have the velcro sound effect if you are worried, security-wise.

I used the RFID Passport Pouch as a super minimalist purse while on my vacation to Yellowstone a few years back. It was exactly as you said, vthuskies, a wallet on a strap, though I used mine with a keystrap as a handle. I kept my iPhone and a Cork COW in it and it worked really well.
    Last edited by gochicken; 03-26-2015 at 05:16 PM.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Quote Originally Posted by vthuskies View Post
    I haven't seen the passport pouch in person, but do you think this would work as a super minimal purse? There are times when even a SCB seems like too much, when I really just need my ID and a couple of credit cards. It would be nice to wear it cross-body, like a wallet with a strap. Do you think this would fit the bill? Thanks!
    I used mine exactly like this at an all-night Halloween dance party during my last trip. It kept my passport and a few cards handy, and largely out-of-sight, worn crossbody under my vest. A few days later I also wore it clipped inside the waistband of my jeans at a rock concert, where it kept my passport and extra cash safely out of the way (and, IIRC, surprisingly non-sweaty).

Quote Originally Posted by chinalake View Post
    I love the Side Effect as a cross-body minimalist purse. Smaller than that, I have to go with Bagallini, or something from 31bags, or one of the PacSafe wallets. I love the Orings in the SE to keystrap in a COW, etc.
    You can go a little smaller with a 3D Organizer Cube. Bare bones, though.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner